Conflicting employment information

In summary, There is conflicting information about the job market for individuals with advanced degrees in math, applied math, and physics outside of academia. While some sources claim that the unemployment rate for science PhD holders is higher than the national average, others argue that the unemployment rate is actually lower and that these individuals have an easier time finding employment. Personal anecdotes also vary, with some individuals finding employment within two months of completing their degree while others struggle to find their dream job. Additionally, it is important to note that the job market for science/math PhDs is different from that of humanities PhDs.
holomorphic
First, sorry if this thread ends up repeating some information covered elsewhere.

Alright, OUTSIDE of academia, how are people with math/applied math/physics PhDs (not engineering) faring in the job search?

On the one hand I'm hearing from everyone that the unemployment of science PhD holders is higher than the national average unemployment.

On the other hand, there are articles like http://brendarosenhamer.blog.com/2011/02/10/national-science-foundation-1-7-unemployment-for-phds-in-sciences-and-engineers/
and
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/69402/title/Science_%2B_the_Public__In_tough_economy,_PhD_appears_to_help
that directly contradict that.

Can anyone offer recent, personal anecdotes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got my advanced degree, decided I didn't want to continue in academia, and was employed within 2 months. YMMV.

fss said:
I got my advanced degree, decided I didn't want to continue in academia, and was employed within 2 months. YMMV.

Thanks fss. Mind mentioning 1) when this was, 2) what your degree is in, and 3) what sort of job?

You know you posted the same link twice ^_^

Chunkysalsa said:
You know you posted the same link twice ^_^

Doh. Thanks--fixed.

holomorphic said:
On the one hand I'm hearing from everyone that the unemployment of science PhD holders is higher than the national average unemployment.

I'm wondering where you are hearing this from. My personal observation is that the unemployment of science/math Ph.D. is quite lower than the average and that the NSF stats are accurate. There are two things that are potentially misleading...

1) It's extremely likely that a science/math Ph.D. will not get their job of choice, but that's a different question than getting any job at all. Science/math Ph.D.'s have extreme difficulty getting their dream job, but that's different from getting any job.

2) Science/math Ph.D.'s are in a totally different world than humanities Ph.D.'s.

holomorphic said:
Thanks fss. Mind mentioning 1) when this was, 2) what your degree is in, and 3) what sort of job?

Recently, Physics, Engineering.

Related to Conflicting employment information

What is conflicting employment information?

Conflicting employment information refers to discrepancies or inconsistencies found in an individual's work history or employment records. This could include differences in job titles, dates of employment, or salary information.

Why is conflicting employment information a concern?

Conflicting employment information can raise red flags for employers and could potentially impact an individual's job prospects. It can also indicate dishonesty or fraudulent behavior, which may result in legal consequences.

What are some common causes of conflicting employment information?

Conflicting employment information can occur due to simple clerical errors, miscommunications, or misunderstandings. It can also be the result of intentional misrepresentation or falsification of information by the individual.

How can conflicting employment information be resolved?

If an individual discovers conflicting employment information on their record, it is important to address it immediately. They can reach out to the previous employer or HR department to clarify any discrepancies and provide supporting documentation if necessary.

What are the consequences of providing conflicting employment information?

Providing conflicting employment information can have serious consequences, including termination of employment, legal action, and damage to one's professional reputation. It is important to be honest and accurate when disclosing employment information.