Engineering at Cambridge University: Information & Advice

In summary, a person from Poland is interested in studying engineering at Cambridge in 2010/2011 and is currently collecting information. They are curious about the learning level and difficulty of getting into the program, as well as the experience of studying engineering at the university. They also ask about the time commitment and which colleges would be recommended. The person responding is a former graduate student and postdoctoral researcher at Cambridge and shares their insights on the program, including its high standards and time-intensive nature. They also mention the advantage of being able to specialize later on in the program and the potential for a diverse and international student body. They advise the person to contact the university in advance to check for any specific requirements.
nodek
Hello ! I come from Poland and a I think seriously about studying at Camgridge in 2 years (2010/2011. Now I collect information . As I `s written in a title - I am interested in engineering. Engineering like that :
http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/engineering/index.html
I live a long distance from UK and I know a little about Cambridge - just from an Internet. Could you tell me something about engineering at Cambridge?. I mean ; what`s a learning level in there?
- Is it very hard to get there?
- How would you describe enginnering at that university?
- How much time do students spend on learning?
- What colleges would you rekommend to me?
Maybe there is a person on this forum who is studying/or used to studying engineering at Cambridge? I`d like to get as much information about it as it `s possible. I am very interested in physics, maths and science .
Thank you
Nodek

Physics news on Phys.org
nodek said:
Could you tell me something about engineering at Cambridge?. I mean ; what`s a learning level in there?
- Is it very hard to get there?
- How would you describe enginnering at that university?
- How much time do students spend on learning?
- What colleges would you rekommend to me?
Hi welcome to PF.
I was a grad student+postdoc at Cambridge - not in engineering but I worked with the eng dept on some projects. So I will try and answer some general questions.

Cambridge has generally high standards, but even 10years ago it was difficult to find enough people who wanted to study engineering to fill all the places. Eng like most science subjects is pretty time intensive, Cambridge has very short terms (8 weeks) so a lot is crammed into the time you are there, including lectures on saturdays!
The eng dept is big enough that it does most of it's own teaching, it doesn't share much with the other science depts. One big advantage is that the first 1-2 years are general so you don't have to decide if you want to do mech/civil/etc until later.

Compared to London (look at UCL/Imperial) Cambridge is a very small town with not much to do outside the university - this might not matter as much to an ugrad.

The college thing is a bit complicated for people not in the system.
in theory it doesn't matter which college you go to. All the lectures/labs etc are in the engineering dept but you will also have tutorials/problem sets with someone (usualy a grad student/postdoc/junior lecturer) in the college.
Some colleges (eg Churchill) have a large proportion of scientists/engineers, so you will have more people on your (or similair) course around you - this might be a good or bad thing!

Because of it's reputation, Cambridge is very international so there will be many different nationalities, including probably other Polish students on your course.

I would also contact them well in advance to check what the various requirements are. Since Poland is new to the EU they might still be working out what are the equivalent Polish exam grades and if you have to take an English test.

Hello Nodek,

Thank you for your interest in engineering at Cambridge University. I can provide you with some information and advice about pursuing this field of study at Cambridge.

Firstly, engineering at Cambridge is highly regarded and the program is known for its rigorous curriculum and high academic standards. The university has a long history of producing successful engineers and is consistently ranked among the top universities for engineering in the world.

In terms of the level of learning, the engineering program at Cambridge is known for its challenging coursework and emphasis on practical, hands-on experience. Students are expected to have a strong foundation in math and science, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

As for the difficulty of getting into Cambridge, it is a highly competitive university with a rigorous admissions process. However, if you have a strong academic background and a passion for engineering, you have a good chance of being accepted.

Engineering at Cambridge is a diverse field, covering a wide range of disciplines such as mechanical, electrical, civil, and chemical engineering. The program is designed to provide students with a strong theoretical foundation, as well as practical skills through hands-on projects and laboratory work.

In terms of time commitment, students at Cambridge typically spend around 30-40 hours per week on their studies, including lectures, tutorials, and independent study. The workload may vary depending on the specific courses you choose, but you can expect to be challenged and pushed to excel in your studies.

As for college recommendations, it ultimately depends on your personal preferences and interests. Each college at Cambridge has its own unique atmosphere and resources, so it is important to research and visit different colleges to find the one that best suits you.

I hope this information has been helpful in your decision-making process. I would also recommend reaching out to current or former students studying engineering at Cambridge for more insight and advice. Best of luck in your studies and future endeavors!

Related to Engineering at Cambridge University: Information & Advice

1. What is the admission process for engineering at Cambridge University?

The admission process for engineering at Cambridge University typically involves submitting an application through the UCAS system, which includes academic qualifications, personal statement, and references. Shortlisted candidates will then be invited for an interview and may also be required to take a written assessment.

2. What are the entry requirements for engineering at Cambridge University?

The entry requirements for engineering at Cambridge University vary depending on the specific course, but generally, applicants are expected to have excellent grades in relevant A-levels or their equivalent. Additionally, a strong background in mathematics and physics is typically required.

3. What engineering courses are offered at Cambridge University?

Cambridge University offers a wide range of engineering courses, including Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and many more. Each course has a unique focus and curriculum, so it is important to research and choose the one that aligns with your interests and career goals.

4. What is the teaching style like for engineering at Cambridge University?

The teaching style for engineering at Cambridge University is a combination of lectures, practical sessions, and tutorials. Each course has a different breakdown of these components, but generally, students can expect a mix of theoretical and hands-on learning. The tutorials, in particular, offer small group discussions and personalized feedback from experienced academics.

5. What career opportunities are available for engineering graduates from Cambridge University?

Engineering graduates from Cambridge University are highly sought after by employers in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, energy, and technology. Some graduates also choose to pursue further studies or research in their specific field of engineering. The university also has a dedicated careers service that offers support and guidance for students in finding job opportunities after graduation.