Conformal Mapping: How Do I Map the Region Above the x-axis?

In summary, the conversation discusses the application of conformal mapping to map the area bounded by the x-axis and a line at 60 degrees to the x-axis to the region above the x-axis. The goal is to map \pi/3 to \pi and an expression for w is needed. The next step is suggested to be starting in polar coordinates. However, the speaker brings up their initial confusion and eventually realizes they have not done conformal transformations in a while.
atomicpedals
What I'm trying to do is to apply conformal mapping and map the area bounded by the x-axis and a line at 60 degrees to the x-axis to the region above the x-axis. I think the basic goal of what I'm trying to do is to map [tex]\pi[/tex]/3 to [tex]\pi[/tex]. My problem is I really have no idea where to go from there other than to say I need an expression for w along the lines of w= x2 - ( [tex]\pi[/tex]/3 )2 + 2i x ([tex]\pi[/tex]/3 ) .

Am I on the right track? What would my next step be?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so sorting through the cloud of my mind the boundary conditions for this case are:

[tex]\phi[/tex] (0,y) = V1
[tex]\phi[/tex] ( [tex]\pi[/tex]/3 , x) = V2

I think you should start in polar coordinates ...

So am I mapping from my wedge in polar coordinates (being the area bounded by the x-axis and [tex]\pi[/tex] /3 ) to the line in Cartesian coordinates? And then mapping once more to get from the line to two lines?

Ok, just forget my remark, I haven't done conformal transformations in a while. Sorry!

No worries!

Related to Conformal Mapping: How Do I Map the Region Above the x-axis?

1. What is conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping is a mathematical technique used in complex analysis to map one complex plane to another while preserving the angles between intersecting curves. This type of mapping is useful in various fields, including physics, engineering, and cartography.

2. What are the applications of conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping has many applications in different fields. In physics, it is used to study potential flows, electrostatics, and heat transfer. In engineering, it is used to design aerodynamic shapes and analyze stress distributions. In cartography, it is used to create accurate maps of curved surfaces, such as the Earth.

3. How does one perform conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping is typically done using complex analysis techniques, such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the concept of analytic functions. It involves finding a function that maps one complex plane to another while preserving the angles between curves. This can be done analytically or numerically using computer software.

4. What are the benefits of using conformal mapping?

Conformal mapping has many benefits, including its ability to preserve angles between curves and its use in solving complex physical and engineering problems. It also allows for the transformation of complicated shapes into simpler ones, making calculations and analysis easier.

5. Where can one learn about conformal mapping?

There are many resources available for learning about conformal mapping, including textbooks, online courses, and academic papers. It is a complex mathematical concept, so a strong understanding of complex analysis is recommended before delving into conformal mapping. Additionally, consulting with a mathematician or scientist experienced in this field can also be helpful.