Computing OPEs of linear dilaton CFT

In summary, the conversation is about finding the transformation of X under conformal transformations using the OPE of the stress energy tensor T(z) and the scalar field X. The putative candidate for T(z) is given, but it is unclear how to proceed with the question. The individual is not sure if they need to contract the not-normally ordered fields and does not understand how to continue after working out the OPE of TX. They are seeking clarification on how to use this information to determine the transformation of X.
snypehype46
Homework Statement
Determine the transformation of ##X## under conformal transformations
Relevant Equations
None
I'm trying to do the following question from David Tong's problem sheets on string theory:

> A theory of a free scalar field has OPE $$\partial X(z)\partial X(w) = \frac{\alpha'}{2}\frac{1}{(z-w)^2}+...$$. Consider the putative candidate for the stress energy tensor $$T(z) = \frac{1}{\alpha '}: \partial X (z) \partial X (z) : -Q \partial^2 X(z)$$. Use ##TX## OPE to determine the transformation of ##X## under conformal transformations ##\delta z = \epsilon(z)##

Now to determine ##T(z)X(w)##, I thought I would contract the normally ordered field with ##X(w)##. So to get:

$$2\langle \partial X (z) \partial X (w) \rangle -Q^2 \partial^3 X(z)$$

Is that the correct way of proceeding? I'm not sure if I need to contract the not-normally ordered fields ##\partial^2 X(z)## with ##X(w)## as well?

Also, I don't quite understand how would I continue with this question after I worked out the OPE of ##TX##.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do I use this to determine the transformation of ##X## under conformal transformations?Thanks in advance!

1. What is a linear dilaton CFT?

A linear dilaton CFT (Conformal Field Theory) is a type of quantum field theory that describes the behavior of conformally invariant systems with a linear dilaton background. This means that the metric of the system is modified by a linear function, which leads to interesting properties such as scale invariance.

2. What is the significance of computing OPEs in linear dilaton CFT?

OPEs (Operator Product Expansions) are important in linear dilaton CFT because they provide a way to decompose the correlation functions of operators into a sum of products of simpler operators. This allows for a better understanding of the underlying symmetries and dynamics of the system.

3. How are OPEs computed in linear dilaton CFT?

OPEs in linear dilaton CFT can be computed using the conformal bootstrap approach, which involves solving a set of equations that relate the OPE coefficients to the conformal dimensions of the operators. Another method is to use the operator-state correspondence, which relates operators to states in the Hilbert space of the theory.

4. What are the challenges in computing OPEs in linear dilaton CFT?

One of the main challenges in computing OPEs in linear dilaton CFT is the non-perturbative nature of the theory. This means that traditional perturbative methods cannot be used and alternative techniques, such as the conformal bootstrap, must be employed. Additionally, the complexity of the equations involved in the bootstrap approach can make it difficult to find exact solutions.

5. What are some applications of computing OPEs in linear dilaton CFT?

Computing OPEs in linear dilaton CFT has various applications in theoretical physics, including the study of critical phenomena, quantum gravity, and string theory. It can also be used to investigate the behavior of quantum systems at critical points, as well as to understand the dynamics of black holes and other gravitational systems.