Confused about applying the Euler–Lagrange equation

In summary: You can now calculate your Lagrangian explicitly. Which of your approaches gives the right answer in that case?The first approach, which uses the differential equation for kinetic energy.
Malamala
Hello! I have a Lagrangian of the form:

$$L = \frac{mv^2}{2}+f(v)v$$
where ##f(v)## is a function of the velocity. I would like to derive the equation of motion in general, without writing down an expression for ##f(v)## yet. I have that ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = 0##. However, what is ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial v}##? Is it ##mv+f(v)## or ##mv+f(v)+\frac{\partial f}{v}v##? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess you meant ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial v}##.

For the purpose of experiment, assume ##f(v)=\alpha v## where ##\alpha## is a constant with appropriate units (or you may assume something else simple if you prefer). You can now calculate your Lagrangian explicitly. Which of your approaches gives the right answer in that case?

Likes vanhees71 and TSny
Malamala said:
However, what is ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial v}##? Is it ##mv+f(v)## or ##mv+f(v)+\frac{\partial f}{v}v##?
It is essentially the second expression. But the notation is a bit off in the last term where you wrote ##\frac{\partial f}{v}v##. A partial derivative should have the symbol ##\partial## in both the numerator and denominator: ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial v}##. However, note that ##f(v)## is a function of the single variable ##v##. So, a partial derivative is not really appropriate. Instead, the notation should express an ordinary derivative ##\frac{df}{dv}## or ##f'(v)##. Thus, the last term would be ##f'(v)v##.

I assume that you are dealing with a one-dimensional problem with spatial coordinate ##x## and where ##v = \frac{dx}{dt}##.

Likes vanhees71 and Ibix
Malamala said:
Hello! I have a Lagrangian of the form:

$$L = \frac{mv^2}{2}+f(v)v$$
where ##f(v)## is a function of the velocity. I would like to derive the equation of motion in general, without writing down an expression for ##f(v)## yet. I have that ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial x} = 0##. However, what is ##\frac{\partial L}{\partial v}##? Is it ##mv+f(v)## or ##mv+f(v)+\frac{\partial f}{v}v##? Thank you!
Let ##g(v) = f(v)v##. Rewrite your Lagrangian using ##g(v)##. What do you do now that the lone ##v## has gone?

1. What is the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is a mathematical tool used in the field of calculus of variations to find the function that minimizes or maximizes a given functional. It is named after the mathematicians Leonhard Euler and Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

2. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation derived?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is derived using the calculus of variations, which involves finding the stationary points of a functional by setting its derivative equal to zero. This results in a differential equation, known as the Euler-Lagrange equation, that must be satisfied by the minimizing or maximizing function.

3. What is the significance of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation is significant because it allows us to find the optimal path or function that minimizes or maximizes a given functional. This has many applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields where optimization problems arise.

4. How is the Euler-Lagrange equation used in physics?

In physics, the Euler-Lagrange equation is used to find the equations of motion for a system by minimizing the action functional. This provides a more elegant and efficient way to solve problems in classical mechanics, as it eliminates the need for multiple equations and constraints.

5. What are some common applications of the Euler-Lagrange equation?

The Euler-Lagrange equation has many applications in various fields, including mechanics, electromagnetism, economics, and control theory. Some specific examples include finding the path of a particle in a conservative force field, determining the shape of a hanging chain, and optimizing the control of a robot arm.