Confused High-Schooler Seeks Help Understanding Volt

In summary: I will read all the posts carefully in future. o:)In summary, the volt is a unit of measurement for electric potential difference, equivalent to Joules per Coulomb. It is used to measure the electromotive force that drives current through a circuit. The relation between voltage and electric current is that voltage is the driving force behind the flow of electric current. This means that an increase in voltage will increase the amount of current flowing through a circuit, while a decrease in voltage will decrease the current. It is important to understand this relationship in order to understand how electricity works.
Infinite/Zero
I am a high-school student. My Physics's teacher is not good,so I am here.
Please anyone explain me "What is volt", so that I will have no confusion with Volt.
I will be thankful to you if you clear my confusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
volt1
vōlt/
noun
noun: volt; plural noun: volts; symbol: V

the SI unit of electromotive force, the difference of potential that would drive one ampere of current against one ohm resistance.

You should learn to use Google. It will answer many such questions for you. If you google something and it still doesn't make sense, then you can ask a more focused question here.

The volt is a unit of measurement measuring the electric potential difference across any circuit element, or more generally between any two points in space.

Infinite/Zero said:
I am a high-school student. My Physics's teacher is not good,so I am here.
Please anyone explain me "What is volt", so that I will have no confusion with Volt.
I will be thankful to you if you clear my confusion.

To be able to help you, you need to clearly explain what it is exactly that you are confused with. Just asking such a question and telling us that you have a confusion about it is like telling a doctor that you don't feel well and hoping the doctor gives you an accurate diagnosis.

Have you tried to understand it? What did you read? And what exactly did you not understand that you have read? Did you try googling? Did you go to the Hyperphysics website, for example, to see if they have anything on this?

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/elevol.html

Zz.

Matterwave said:
The volt is a unit of measurement measuring the electric potential difference across any circuit element, or more generally between any two points in space.

Matterwave is correct. However, I would also like to add that Volts are equivalent to Joules (J) per Coulomb (C). Joules are a unit used to measure energy, and Coulombs are a unit to measure electric charge. And by the way, there are 6.24x1018 protons/electrons per Coulomb.

I am thankful to all of you for helping me. I have one more question.
What is the relation between Voltage and electric current ?

Infinite/Zero said:
I am thankful to all of you for helping me. I have one more question.
What is the relation between Voltage and electric current ?

volt1
vōlt/
noun
noun: volt; plural noun: volts; symbol: V

the SI unit of electromotive force, the difference of potential that would drive one ampere of current against one ohm resistance.

Thanks phinds:smile:. I will read all the posts carefully in future. o:)
HyperPhysics is good.Thanks ZapperZ

Last edited:

1. What is a volt?

A volt is a unit of measurement for electric potential difference, or the amount of potential energy that an electric charge has. It is represented by the symbol "V" and is named after Italian physicist Alessandro Volta.

2. How is a volt different from an ampere?

A volt measures electric potential difference, while an ampere measures electric current. In other words, a volt measures the force pushing the electrons through a circuit, while an ampere measures the rate at which the electrons are moving.

3. What is the relationship between volts and watts?

Volts and watts are related by the equation P = IV, where P is power (measured in watts), I is current (measured in amperes), and V is voltage (measured in volts). In other words, the amount of power in a circuit is equal to the current multiplied by the voltage.

4. How is voltage important in everyday life?

Voltage is important in everyday life because it is what allows electricity to flow through our homes and power our devices. It is also used in various technologies, such as batteries and solar panels, to store and generate energy.

5. Can voltage be dangerous?

Yes, voltage can be dangerous if not handled properly. High voltage can cause electric shocks and burns, while low voltage can cause electrical malfunctions and equipment failures. It is important to always follow safety precautions when dealing with electricity.