Why is potential difference the same across each branch in parallel?

aidandv
As the title says, i am struggling to understand how if the cell is only supplying 3V how 2 lamps in parallel both receive 3 volts (totalling 6)

I currently study a level physics and never really questioned how this works and just accepted it as the truth.

Can someone explain with a helpful analogy?
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
In the standard circuit diagram, each lamp is connected to the battery with a straight lines and there are no other circuit elements between the lamps the battery terminals. Straight lines are equipotentials. Thus the potential has the same value ##V_1## on one side of both lamps and the same value ##V_2## on the other side of both lamps. That means that the lamps are in parallel.

Likes DeBangis21
The analogies presented in this video may help you understand.

Sorry I had a bad link when initially posting.

scottdave said:
The analogies presented in this video may help you understand.

Sorry I had a bad link when initially posting.

Hi is there a specific timestamp for my question?

• Skeptical
Likes Motore
kuruman said:
In the standard circuit diagram, each lamp is connected to the battery with a straight lines and there are no other circuit elements between the lamps the battery terminals. Straight lines are equipotentials. Thus the potential has the same value ##V_1## on one side of both lamps and the same value ##V_2## on the other side of both lamps. That means that the lamps are in parallel.
So what youre saying is in parallel both components have the same potential for charge carriers to do work so theyre the same?

I am saying that two conductors in parallel have the same potential difference across their ends.

kuruman said:
I am saying that two conductors in parallel have the same potential difference across their ends.
i dont quite understand what this means

aidandv said:
i dont quite understand what this means
All the consumer elements in a car "feel" the 12 volts delivered by the car battery.
They are all in parallel to each other and having one consuming electricity does not affect what the other one is receiving.

parallel-circuit.gif

aidandv said:
Hi is there a specific timestamp for my question?
So this addresses the concept of electric potential, rather than parallel circuits in particular. I think many students get confused on electric potential. There was another video that I was looking for concerning series and parallel circuits, but I haven't located it yet.

aidandv said:
As the title says, i am struggling to understand how if the cell is only supplying 3V how 2 lamps in parallel both receive 3 volts (totalling 6)
I think I see now what you mean. Here is the fluid analogy for a circuit. The potential difference across two conductors is analogous to the pressure difference across the constrictions. When you have two constrictions in parallel (bottom drawing taken from the link) the pressure difference between the ends is not additive. Likewise, if the potential difference (think of it as the pressure driving the flow of charge carriers) is not additive. In parallel conductors the currents are additive not the potential differences.

Screen Shot 2023-09-17 at 2.22.39 PM.png

Likes topsquark, Lnewqban and scottdave
I must be really dumb or smth bc I’m still not understanding. It’s ok tho dont worry about it

You may
aidandv said:
I must be really dumb or smth bc I’m still not understanding. It’s ok tho dont worry about it
You may be confusing voltage with current.

Likes topsquark

1. Why is potential difference the same across each branch in parallel?

In a parallel circuit, the potential difference (voltage) is the same across each branch because the branches are connected to the same two points on the circuit. This means that the electrons flowing through each branch encounter the same amount of resistance, resulting in the same potential difference.

2. How does the potential difference in a parallel circuit compare to a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the potential difference is divided among the components, while in a parallel circuit, the potential difference is the same across each branch. This is because in a series circuit, the components are connected in a single loop, while in a parallel circuit, the components are connected to the same two points.

3. Can the potential difference vary across each branch in a parallel circuit?

No, the potential difference will always be the same across each branch in a parallel circuit. This is a fundamental property of parallel circuits and is due to the fact that the components are connected in a way that allows for multiple paths for the current to flow.

4. How does the potential difference affect the current in a parallel circuit?

The potential difference does not affect the current in a parallel circuit. The current in each branch is determined by the resistance of that branch and the total potential difference of the circuit. However, since the potential difference is the same across each branch, the current will be divided among the branches based on their individual resistances.

5. What happens if one branch in a parallel circuit has a higher potential difference?

If one branch in a parallel circuit has a higher potential difference, it will have a higher current flowing through it. However, the potential difference will still be the same across each branch. This is because the potential difference is determined by the total voltage of the circuit, not by the individual branches.