Confused in stat. mech.-thermo., inconsistant result

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the internal energy and specific heat for a diatomic ideal gas at high temperatures. The solution involves using the partition function for one molecule, and the mistake made in the attempt at a solution is using the wrong expression for the Helmholtz free energy, resulting in an incorrect calculation for the internal energy.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Hello guys,
Long problem but I'll drastically shorten it. I've a diatomic ideal gas of N molecules (the 2 atoms are distinct). I must calculate the internal energy and the specific heat for high temperatures.
I've got the solution but if I solve it my way in the last step, I get a different result.

Homework Equations

Partition function of one molecule: ##Z_1\approx \frac{T}{\omicron}##. This expression is to be found in the solution for this exercise.
Thus, for N molecules, i.e. the whole system: ##Z_N\approx \left ( \frac{T}{\omicron} \right ) ^N## (according to me). These approximations are valid for ##T>>\omicron##.
The solution states that from ##Z_1##, we can calculate the mean energy per molecule as ##\overline{\varepsilon}=-\frac{\partial Z_1 }{\partial \beta}=kT##.

The Attempt at a Solution

My idea was to get the Helmholz free energy and then, from it, getting the internal energy.
I got ##A(\beta,N) \approx -\frac{N}{\beta} \ln \left ( \frac{1}{k\beta \omicron} \right )##.
Since ##U=\left ( \frac{\partial A}{\partial \beta} \right ) _{V,N}##, I got ##U \approx\frac{N}{\beta ^2}[1-\ln (k\beta \omicron)]##. As you can see:
1)My result for U is not extensive (so I'm fried).
2)Dividing my expression for U by N, I don't reach the expression for the average energy per molecule the solution provides.

I don't understand what I did wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind guys, I found out the mistake. I had to multiply A by beta before taking the derivative with respect to beta, in order to get the internal energy.

Related to Confused in stat. mech.-thermo., inconsistant result

1. Why am I getting inconsistent results in my statistical mechanics and thermodynamics calculations?

Inconsistency in results can be caused by a variety of factors, such as errors in data input, incorrect assumptions, or limitations of the model being used. It is important to carefully review your calculations and double-check all inputs to ensure accuracy.

2. How do I know which equations to use in my statistical mechanics and thermodynamics calculations?

Choosing the appropriate equations for a given problem can be challenging, as it often depends on the specific system and conditions being studied. It is important to understand the fundamental principles and concepts behind the equations, and to carefully consider the variables and assumptions involved.

3. What is the difference between statistical mechanics and thermodynamics?

Statistical mechanics and thermodynamics are closely related fields, but they approach the study of physical systems from different perspectives. Statistical mechanics uses statistical methods to describe the behavior of individual particles in a system, while thermodynamics focuses on macroscopic properties and relationships between different parts of a system.

4. How can I troubleshoot my calculations to identify and resolve inconsistencies?

If you are getting inconsistent results in your calculations, there are several steps you can take to troubleshoot and resolve the issue. These include double-checking your data and assumptions, comparing your results to known values or experimental data, and seeking input from colleagues or professors.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid in statistical mechanics and thermodynamics calculations?

Some common mistakes to avoid in these types of calculations include using incorrect or inappropriate equations, neglecting important variables or assumptions, and making errors in data input or calculations. It is also important to carefully review and interpret your results to ensure they make physical sense.