Confusing Derivation of torque acting on disk question

In summary, when the disk is on the tabletop, it exerts a force on the table surface. This force is given by the product of the disk's mass and the pressure it produces.
Bonbon32
Homework Statement
A disk of mass M and angular speed w falls into table top. The kenetic coffienet of friction from table top is meu. Create an equation for dt=dr *F. Using this information.
Relevant Equations
Menu kenetic Mg = Friction
Iaplha = torque
Fr = torque
1577153780320.png

Not sure how they obtained an answer of (2meukenetic *Mg/R^2)*r^2 dr = dt
When they say disk I am assuming it's not ring shaped. So since F * Dr= DT where I guess F acting on a small point on the disc is constant from the table top. And Dr is the variable distance from a random small point from the axis which summed together times force give total torque. I plug in F friction using mgmeu. Not to sure where to go from there.

Attachments

• IMG_20191224_002338.jpg
    IMG_20191224_002338.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 171
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The disk as a whole, lying on the tabletop, exerts a force ##M g## on the table surface, right? Assuming that the weight is evenly distributed over the entire disk-table interface, that means that the disk presents a pressure of ##Mg/\pi R^2##.

A given circular element of the disk will have an area associated with it (##\pi r^2 dr##). What is the force associated with that area element (you've got pressure and area)? Work out the ##d\tau## that that circular element will provide.

gneill said:
The disk as a whole, lying on the tabletop, exerts a force ##M g## on the table surface, right? Assuming that the weight is evenly distributed over the entire disk-table interface, that means that the disk presents a pressure of ##Mg/\pi R^2##.

A given circular element of the disk will have an area associated with it (##\pi r^2 dr##). What is the force associated with that area element (you've got pressure and area)? Work out the ##d\tau## that that circular element will provide.
Makes sense so (meu mg/R^2 )* r^2 *Dr which gives me a torque, not sure where they got the 2 from? Which is on the numerator next to the meu value. Finally got one more question if you can bear with me. Would the meu mg the friction be dF instead as we are taking only a small circular position about the rotating axis? So it becomes meu*dm*g ? If we aren't assuming anything.

Bonbon32 said:
Makes sense so (meu mg/R^2 )* r^2 *Dr which gives me a torque, not sure where they got the 2 from?
What's the area of the circular element of radius r and width dr?
1577156961543.png

Bonbon32 said:
Would the meu mg the friction be dF instead as we are taking only a small circular position about the rotating axis? So it becomes meu*dm*g ?
Force is pressure times area. so the frictional force contribution for a given area element becomes ##dF = P \times dA##, where dA is the differential area element.

By the way, you can find a table of mathematical letters and symbols in the edit window top bar menu if you click on the ##\sqrt{x}## icon. There you will find, for example, the Greek letter μ. You don't need to call it "meu", if you can use the actual letter.

[edit] Added an image to clarify what a "circular element" refers to.

Last edited:
Likes Bonbon32

1. What is torque and how is it calculated?

Torque is a measure of the turning force applied to an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance between the force and the axis of rotation.

2. How does torque apply to a disk?

In the context of a disk, torque is the measure of the rotational force acting on the disk. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the disk by the radius of the disk.

3. What factors affect the torque acting on a disk?

The torque acting on a disk is affected by the magnitude and direction of the applied force, as well as the distance between the force and the axis of rotation (radius of the disk).

4. How do I determine the direction of torque acting on a disk?

The direction of torque acting on a disk can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the force applied and curl your fingers towards the axis of rotation. The direction your fingers point in is the direction of the torque.

5. Can torque acting on a disk be zero?

Yes, torque acting on a disk can be zero if either the applied force is zero or the distance between the force and the axis of rotation is zero. In other words, if there is no force applied or the force is applied at the axis of rotation, there will be no torque acting on the disk.