Confusion about Derivation of Vacuum Rabi Rate

In summary, the conversation discusses the vacuum Rabi frequency and its relationship to the dipole moment of a two-level atom and the electric field per mode. The first equation shows that the vacuum Rabi frequency is equal to the dot product of the dipole moment and the electric field. The second equation explains that the electric field per mode is obtained by setting the energy of the field equal to the zero-point energy of the radiation field. However, there is confusion about why the vacuum-state field is used in this case instead of the expected value of the electric field for the vacuum state. A possible explanation is that the electric field near the atom will still be the expected field of the ground state, even if a photon has been emitted.
Twigg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,

I am learning about the vacuum Rabi frequency for the first time in Metcalf's book Laser Cooling and Trapping (Section 2.2). I am trying to make sense of the following two equations Metcalf gives:
$$\hbar \Omega_{S} = -\vec{\mu} \cdot \vec{E_{\omega}}$$ and $$\vec{E_{\omega}} = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar\omega}{2\epsilon_{0}V}}\vec{\epsilon}$$ where ##\Omega_{S}## is the vacuum Rabi frequency for the mode ##S = | \vec{k}, \vec{\epsilon} \rangle##, ##\mu## is the dipole moment of a two-level atom, and ##\vec{E_{\omega}}## is the "electric field per mode".

I see that the expression for ##\vec{E_{\omega}}## is obtained from setting the energy of the field equal to the zero-point energy of the radiation field: $$ \epsilon_{0} E_{\omega}^{2} V = \frac{1}{2} \hbar \omega$$
However, I am confused why ##E_{\omega}## is the vacuum-state field in this case. If I'm not mistaken, this field is the expected value of the electric field per mode for the vacuum state: ##\langle 0 | \vec{E_{\omega}} | 0 \rangle##, since it has the same energy per mode as the vacuum state. On the other hand, the Rabi rate is typically an off-diagonal element of the interaction Hamiltonian. So why isn't the first equation ##\hbar \Omega_{S} = -\vec{\mu} \cdot \langle 1_{S} | \vec{E} | 0 \rangle##?

Physics news on Phys.org
I came up with a possible solution. I believe the key lies in where the electric field is being evaluated. The field of a photon emitted spontaneously will propagate away from the atom, so while there may be a photon in the radiation field, the field near the atom is still the expected field of the ground state. Am I on the right track?

1. What is the Vacuum Rabi rate?

The Vacuum Rabi rate is a measurement of the strength of the interaction between a quantum system and the vacuum field. It is named after the physicist Isidor Rabi, who first described the phenomenon in the 1930s.

2. How is the Vacuum Rabi rate derived?

The Vacuum Rabi rate is derived through a mathematical analysis of the quantum system's Hamiltonian, which describes the energy of the system. It involves solving the Schrödinger equation for the system and calculating the rate at which the system transitions between different energy states.

3. Why is there confusion about the derivation of the Vacuum Rabi rate?

There is confusion about the derivation of the Vacuum Rabi rate because it involves complex mathematical concepts and is often described using different approaches and notations. This can make it difficult for non-experts to understand and can lead to misunderstandings about the true nature of the phenomenon.

4. What factors affect the value of the Vacuum Rabi rate?

The value of the Vacuum Rabi rate is affected by several factors, including the strength of the interaction between the quantum system and the vacuum field, the energy difference between the system's energy states, and the lifetime of the system's excited state. It can also be influenced by external factors such as temperature and the presence of other particles.

5. How is the Vacuum Rabi rate used in research and practical applications?

The Vacuum Rabi rate is an important concept in the field of quantum optics and is used in research to better understand the behavior of quantum systems. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of quantum technologies like quantum computers and for controlling the behavior of individual atoms and photons in quantum devices.