Confusion regarding Interference of light

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of interference in waves, particularly in terms of light and cellphone signals. The first question addresses why interference patterns are not observed in everyday light, and the expert explains that this is due to the lack of coherence between different sources. The second question delves into the possibility of observing interference in a room with white walls and a monochromatic light source, and the expert clarifies that this would only be possible in a controlled setup. The conversation also touches on the interference of cellphone signals and the reason why only one signal is received at a time.
Sab95
I have been reading optics for the past few months.
If light has the property of interference, when I look around, why don't I see any interference patterns.
does it mean all the waves around me are in phase ?
Another question is, why don't Cellphone signals interfere with each other ? they are mostly microwaves within a range of frequencies. Should'nt they interfere ?

Science news on Phys.org
I'm not expert on the 2nd part, so I'll just stick to the first question. A proper interference pattern is only observed with light from the same source. Light all around you is not coherent (i.e. it does not maintain a constant phase relationship). Two waves from different sources may be in phase at one instant but out of phase in the next nanosecond. The human eye cannot cope with such rapid changes, so no observable interference pattern is produced. (It would be pretty disastrous if it did :P )

Lol! Then. If I sit in a room with white walls. And I turn on a monochromatic source ? Since they are all coherent now.
Will I see interference after they reflect from the walls ?

Do you mean walls which are perfect reflectors (no absorption, hypothetical of course)?

Sab95 said:
Lol! Then. If I sit in a room with white walls. And I turn on a monochromatic source ? Since they are all coherent now.
Will I see interference after they reflect from the walls ?
Who are "they"? You mean waves reflected by different walls?

Interference simply means superposition of two (or more) waves. It happens every time you have more than one wave in the same volume of space.
In order to see a pattern of maxima and minima some extra conditions must be satisfied. They have to do with ensuring a pattern that is stable enough to be observed with your instrument (it may be your eye).

In the case of cell phones, the microwaves do interfere, of course. And not only the ones used for cell phones, the radio waves and so on.
But yo still pick up only one radio station at a time because your receptor is designed to reject all frequencies but one (actually a narrow range of frequencies) which is amplified and decoded.

Light derived from the same source (or same region of a large source) and traveling by different routes to the same point can be coherent, but even then, you're up against the very small wavelength (~[itex] 0.5 \mu \text{m}[/itex]), which implies that, except in special set-ups (such as Young's), the points of constructive and destructive interference) are too close together to be noticed.

Monochromatic is not coherent. It only means they are of the same wavelength ( color) ... they are not in phase. The most common way to create coherent light is with a laser. However there are other types of waves where the interference can be observed.

1. What is the definition of interference of light?

Interference of light is a phenomenon that occurs when two or more light waves overlap and interact with each other. This results in either constructive or destructive interference, where the waves reinforce or cancel each other out, respectively.

2. How does interference of light contribute to the colors we see?

The interference of light can cause different colors to appear based on the wavelength of the light waves interacting. These colors are created when the waves interfere constructively or destructively, resulting in a change in the overall amplitude of the light waves.

3. What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference of light?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves with the same frequency overlap and their amplitudes add up, resulting in a stronger wave. Destructive interference, on the other hand, occurs when two waves with the same frequency overlap and their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a weaker or even zero amplitude wave.

4. What is the role of wavelength in the interference of light?

Wavelength is a crucial factor in the interference of light because it determines the distance between the crests and troughs of the waves. When two waves with the same wavelength overlap, they can either reinforce or cancel each other out, creating the interference patterns we observe.

5. How does the distance between the light sources affect interference of light?

The distance between the light sources plays a significant role in interference of light. When the sources are closer together, the interference patterns will be more defined and distinct. However, as the distance between the sources increases, the patterns may become less noticeable or even disappear completely.