Why does 2slit interference depend on wavelength?

In summary: Can someone explain this conceptually?There is no one answer to this question as it depends on what you are looking for. Sometimes people might ask for a more conceptual explanation, while other times they might want a more technical one.
toesockshoe
How do 2 waves in a double slit get cut? I know that light spreads in all directions so, when a double slit is infront of a light source, then it only allows light that goes through the slit past the wall. Why do interference patterns depend on the wavelength? Isnt the wave length perpendicular to the orientation of the slit? I would image the interference patters depend on the angle with which the light gets cut, but I don't see conceptually how it depends on the wavelengths. Can someone explain this conceptually?

Science news on Phys.org
The reason the interference works is that waves of the same wavelength, taking different paths, can add and cancel, depending on where they arrive. Wavelength and the spatial layout of the situation go together to produce an interference pattern.

Interference happens because of the basic properties of waves. The way you are using terms in your question makes me think that you need to start at the very beginning of Wave Theory. I can't tell what stage you are at in your Physics but this link could (don't be offended) be a suitable start. Fire up Google and find a few links about waves and you can then graduate to interference. Hyperphysics (easy to find) is always a good source of concise Physics information but it often requires some extra reading around.

I can explain it diagramatically:
upload_2016-1-30_17-14-56.png

Image adapted by Dr Greg from File:Two-Slit Experiment Light.svg, public domain.
upload_2016-1-30_17-14-56.png

Likes ORF
DrGreg said:
I can explain it diagramatically:
I have a feeling that the real problem here is understanding the basic way waves work. (i.e. a couple of stages earlier)
Like here:
toesockshoe said:
Isnt the wave length perpendicular to the orientation of the slit?
Translating graphs and diagrams into a feel for what they actually represent can be a problem. That's why I recommended reading around the basics of waves first. Definitions of wavelength, displacement, wave speed etc. are essential for making progress with something as abstract as waves.

1. Why does 2slit interference occur?

2slit interference is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave, such as light or sound, passes through two narrow openings close to each other. The wave then spreads out, and the overlapping portions of the wave interfere with each other, resulting in a pattern of alternating bright and dark fringes on a screen placed behind the slits.

2. How does wavelength affect 2slit interference?

The distance between the two slits is crucial in determining the interference pattern, but the wavelength of the wave passing through the slits also plays a significant role. A longer wavelength results in a wider interference pattern, while a shorter wavelength produces a narrower pattern.

3. Why does 2slit interference depend on wavelength?

The spacing between the fringes in a 2slit interference pattern is directly related to the wavelength of the wave. This is because the distance between the fringes is determined by the difference in the path lengths of the waves from the two slits. As the wavelength changes, the path length difference also changes, resulting in a different interference pattern.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and intensity in 2slit interference?

The intensity of the light at each point on the screen is proportional to the square of the amplitude of the wave. As the wavelength changes, the amplitude also changes, resulting in variations in the intensity of the fringes in the interference pattern. A longer wavelength produces a wider interference pattern with lower intensity, while a shorter wavelength results in a narrower pattern with higher intensity.

5. Can the 2slit interference pattern be observed with any type of wave?

Yes, the 2slit interference phenomenon can occur with any type of wave, including light, sound, and water waves. However, the distance between the slits and the wavelength of the wave must be carefully chosen in order to observe a clear interference pattern. Additionally, the medium through which the wave is passing can also affect the interference pattern.