Confusion with how to calculate acceleration in this problem

In summary, the question asks for the average net force required to bring a 1500kg car to rest from a speed of 27.8m/s within a distance of 55m. The formula v^2=vo^2+2ad is used to calculate the acceleration needed. However, the asker's initial approach of dividing distance by speed to get time and then using the formula did not work because the car's speed is decreasing over time, making it necessary to use a different method. The concept of average force is also discussed, with the realization that the qualifier of "average" is redundant if the acceleration is constant.
Frankenstein19

Homework Statement

What average net force is required to bring a 1500kg car to rest from a speed of 27.8m/s within a distance of 55m?

Homework Equations

v^2=vo^2+2ad
vf-vo/(time elapsed)

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I know I need to calculate the acceleration first, so immediately I thought of taking the distance and dividing it by the speed in order to get time, doing that I got 1.92s.

Then when I put the velocity over that time to get the acceleration, I thought i would get the correct acceleration but no. I got -14.48 and the book says its -7. The book uses the formula v^2=vo^2+2ad

Now, my question is: Why doesn't t work my way. Please don't tell me, it's much easier if you use the v^2 formula because I still won't understand since my question is why doesn't the way I thought work.

Physics news on Phys.org
Frankenstein19 said:
dividing it by the speed in order to get time
Ah ! but the speed is gradually decreasing all the way to zero !

So I can't just do vf-vi/(v/s)? I'd get 0-55m/(28.7m/s)

When you divide distance by time, You are getting the average velocity. it is the average distance that this person cuts over time. Also that time that you got through that method is just the time that this average (constant) velocity will take to pass this distance. In another way, that time assume that the velocity over this distance is constant (doesn't change). If there is no acceleration then you can use this method.However as BvU mentioned it is decreasing. You are not cutting the same distances over time. So as a result you can't get time through d/v.

Can you explain your equation above? (Vf-vi)/v/s?

Others have pointed out the error in your calculation. I would just like to add a couple of points.
Frankenstein19 said:
What average net force is required to bring a 1500kg car to rest from a speed of 27.8m/s within a distance of 55m?
Frankenstein19 said:
The book uses the formula v^2=vo^2+2ad
The question should have specified constant acceleration, and therefore a constant force, making the qualifier 'average' redundant.
Average force is defined as ##\frac{\Delta p}{\Delta t}=\frac{\int F.dt}{\int .dt}##, where p is momentum. This is consistent with average acceleration, ##\frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}=\frac{\int a.dt}{\int .dt}##.
You need the acceleration to be constant in order to be able to apply ##v^2=v_o^2+2ad##.
With non-constant acceleration, we could slow the car to 1m/s in 0.5s (-53.6m/s2), then bring it to rest in 95.6s at a uniform acceleration of -0.01m/s2.
The average acceleration would be -27.8/(.5+95.6)=-0.29m/s2, much less than for constant acceleration.
Frankenstein19 said:
I know I need to calculate the acceleration first
That's one way, but it's not the only way. You could arrive at the same answer by considering energy. Again, this is only valid for constant force.

Likes BvU

1. What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is a measure of how quickly the velocity of an object changes. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How do I know when to use the acceleration formula?

The acceleration formula is used when you want to find the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. This is particularly useful in problems involving motion and forces.

3. What are the units for acceleration?

The units for acceleration are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2). This means for every second an object's velocity changes by a certain amount.

4. Can acceleration be negative?

Yes, acceleration can be negative. This means that an object is slowing down, or its velocity is decreasing. Positive acceleration indicates an increase in velocity.

5. How do I calculate acceleration in a specific direction?

Acceleration in a specific direction is calculated by considering the change in velocity in that direction over time. This is commonly seen in problems involving motion on an incline or circular motion.