Conical Surface Potential Difference

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the potential difference between points a and b on a conical surface with a uniform surface charge. The speaker initially assumes that V(a) = 0 and calculates V(b) using this assumption. However, the book's solution does not make this assumption and obtains a different result. The speaker asks for clarification on why their assumption may be wrong and how to calculate it assuming V(b) = 0. With the help of the person they are conversing with, the speaker realizes their mistake and corrects it. Ultimately, the result is determined to be σh/(2ε) [1 - ln (1 + √2)].
Aroldo
Hey guys!
The question is related to problem 2.26 from Electrodynamics by Griffiths (3ed).

1. Homework Statement

A conical surface (an empty ice-cream cone) carries a uniform surface charge σ. The height of the cone is h, as the radius of the top. Find the potential difference between points a (the vertex) and b (the center of the top).

Homework Equations

Here I will call the potential V.

First of all, I assumed that at the vertex: V(a) = 0. (I can do that because I'm interested in V(b) - V(a), am I right?)

Then I calculated V(b). So:
V(a) - V(b) = - V(b) = -σh/(2ε) * ln (1 + (21/2/2))

But the book's solution didn't consider V(a) = 0, and found:
V(a) - V(b) = σh/(2ε) [1 - ln (1 + (21/2/2))]

Finally, my questions are:
Why is my assumption wrong?
How to calculate it assuming V(b) = 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Aroldo said:
First of all, I assumed that at the vertex: V(a) = 0. (I can do that because I'm interested in V(b) - V(a), am I right?)

Then I calculated V(b). So:
V(a) - V(b) = - V(b) = -σh/(2ε) * ln (1 + (21/2/2))
In deriving your expression for V(b), where did you choose V to be zero?

TSny said:
In deriving your expression for V(b), where did you choose V to be zero?
At the point a = (0,0,0)

Can you show an outline of your derivation of your expression for V(b)?

Yes, of course.
r is the vector along the central axis and r' is the vector along the conical surface.

$$ V(b) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_0^b{\frac{\sigma\cdot da'}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|}} = \frac{\sigma}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\sqrt{2}\pi\int_0^{\sqrt{2}h}\frac{r'dr'}{\sqrt{r'^2 + h^2 -\sqrt{2}hr'}} = \frac{\sigma h}{2\epsilon_0}\ln (1+\sqrt{2}) $$

Last edited:
Aroldo said:
$$ V(b) = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_0^b{\frac{\sigma\cdot da}{|\textbf{r}-\textbf{r}'|}} $$
The integrand represents the potential at b due to a small element of charge ##\sigma da##. It has the form ##V = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0} \frac{q}{r}## for a point charge. Note that this expression assumes a particular place where V = 0. Where is that place?

Likes Aroldo
For a point charge, V = 0 at the infinity.
You helped me a lot to identify my own misunderstanding. In the previous exercise that I solved the potential wouldn't go to 0 at the infinity (it was due to a infinity distribution).

Thank you a lot!

OK.

I'm not quite getting the result that you quoted as the given solution. I get that the argument of the log should be ##1 + \sqrt{2}## rather than ##1 + \frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}## . But I could be messing up somewhere.

No no, you are right. My mistake. I already edited there.

Thanks again.

What is conical surface potential difference?

Conical surface potential difference refers to the difference in electric potential between two points on a conical surface. This is a result of the distribution of electric charge on the surface, which causes the electric field to vary along the surface.

How is conical surface potential difference calculated?

The conical surface potential difference can be calculated using the formula V = kq/r, where V is the potential difference, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge on the surface, and r is the distance between the two points on the surface.

What factors affect conical surface potential difference?

Conical surface potential difference is affected by the distribution of electric charge on the surface, the distance between the two points, and the shape and size of the cone. It can also be influenced by external factors such as the presence of other charged objects nearby.

How is conical surface potential difference related to electric field?

Conical surface potential difference and electric field are closely related. The potential difference is directly proportional to the electric field, meaning that as the potential difference increases, so does the electric field. This can be seen in the formula E = V/r, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference, and r is the distance between the two points.

What are the practical applications of conical surface potential difference?

Conical surface potential difference has several practical applications, such as in electrostatic generators, which use the difference in potential between two points on a conical surface to generate electricity. It is also useful in studying the behavior of charged particles on curved surfaces and in understanding the principles of electric potential and electric field.