The potential difference of a proton

In summary, the proton moves toward A with an increasing speed because there is an electric potential difference between the points A and B.
Johnnie123
IMG_7442.jpeg

1. Homework Statement

A proton is released from rest at point B, where the potential is 0 V. Afterward, the proton:

a. Remains at rest at B.
b. Moves toward A with a steady speed.
c. Moves toward A with an increasing speed.
d. Moves toward C with a steady speed.
e. Moves toward C with an increasing speed.

Homework Equations

$$U = qV$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The correct answer is c, but I am having a hard time understanding why. Charged particles may increase or decrease in speed if they are in an area with an electric potential. In this case, we have a potential difference - -100 V to 100 V - but how do I determine what $V$ is equal to. The potential difference could be positive in one sense and negative in the other.

Attachments

• IMG_7442.jpeg
    IMG_7442.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,421
Physics news on Phys.org
In the absence of other information, you should assume that the potential varies linearly between the different points.

Johnnie123 said:
View attachment 238035

The correct answer is c, but I am having a hard time understanding why. Charged particles may increase or decrease in speed if they are in an area with an electric potential. In this case, we have a potential difference - -100 V to 100 V - but how do I determine what $V$ is equal to. The potential difference could be positive in one sense and negative in the other.
$V$ means "Volt" unit of voltage and electric potential.100 V is 100 volt potential, -100 V is -100 volt potential.

Likes DrClaude
DrClaude said:
In the absence of other information, you should assume that the potential varies linearly between the different points.
I think that's a fair assumption. It looks like the dashed lines are equipotentials.

Johnnie123 said:
View attachment 238035

1. Homework Statement

A proton is released from rest at point B, where the potential is 0 V. Afterward, the proton:

a. Remains at rest at B.
b. Moves toward A with a steady speed.
c. Moves toward A with an increasing speed.
d. Moves toward C with a steady speed.
e. Moves toward C with an increasing speed.

Homework Equations

$$U = qV$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Note that the more accurate relationship here is

[tex]\Delta U = q\Delta V[/tex]

So it is the change in V, not the absolute value of V, that is important. Next, the electric force here is due to the presence of electric field E. This is where you need the relationship between E and V, i.e.

[tex]E = \frac{\Delta V}{\Delta x}[/tex]

E is the gradient of V (taking into account just the magnitude). Again, it is the change in V over a distance that is important here.

So look at the diagram, and see whether you can identify the direction of where the E field should point, and then find if you can understand why there actually is a force acting on that charge.

BTW, this looks like a quick question out of Pearson's Mastering Physics.

Zz.

1. What is the potential difference of a proton?

The potential difference of a proton is the difference in electrical potential energy between two points in an electric field that the proton occupies. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is the potential difference of a proton different from that of an electron?

The potential difference of a proton is the opposite of the potential difference of an electron. This is because protons have a positive charge while electrons have a negative charge. The direction of the potential difference for protons is from higher to lower potential, while for electrons it is from lower to higher potential.

3. What is the unit of measurement for potential difference of a proton?

The unit of measurement for potential difference of a proton is volts (V). This is the same unit used to measure the potential difference of any charged particle.

4. How does the potential difference affect the movement of a proton?

The potential difference of a proton determines the direction and speed of its movement in an electric field. A higher potential difference will cause the proton to move faster and in the direction of lower potential, while a lower potential difference will result in slower movement or even a change in direction.

5. What factors can affect the potential difference of a proton?

The potential difference of a proton can be affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance between the two points, and the charge of other particles in the field. It can also be affected by the presence of a magnetic field, as this can alter the path of the proton and therefore its potential difference.