Connect High/Low Level Alarm Circuit with 6 LM741 Op Amps

• Thread starter chrisla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comparator
In summary, you can connect high and low level alarms to the LM741 opamps using the connections shown in the schematic. However, the circuit is unreliable after construction due to a design error. The thread on Physics Forums discusses a number of "Bad Circuit" examples from the textbook "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. The explanation in the thread and the Bourns application note may help you understand the stability issues.
chrisla
Hello,
I completed this circuit with 6 op amps LM741. Now I want to connect any high and low level alarm circuit. I have found and tried some solutions but I didn't get it to work. Can you give me some advice how to do it?

Attachments

• level sensor.docx
    37.7 KB · Views: 188
Engineering news on Phys.org
chrisla said:
Hello,
I completed this circuit with 6 op amps LM741. Now I want to connect any high and low level alarm circuit. I have found and tried some solutions but I didn't get it to work. Can you give me some advice how to do it?

Welcome to the PF.

What is the circuit supposed to do? You are feeding in a large AC signal -- what do you mean by high and low level alarms?

BTW, there is a design error near the right of the schematic that will cause the circuit to become unreliable in a couple years after construction. Do you know what it is?

U3 and U4's function has me scratching my head. I haven't seen that particular arrangement before. It looks like it might be a variation of an ideal diode feeding a peak detector.

berkeman I'm curious what will make the circuit unreliable?

nevere said:
berkeman I'm curious what will make the circuit unreliable?

See the discussion about potentiometers and opamps starting at post #39 on page three of this fun thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=178516&highlight=bourns&page=3

The thread discussed a number of "Bad Circuit" examples from the textbook "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz and Hill. Let us know if the explanation in the thread (and the Bourns application note) make sense to you. :smile:

Also asking for stability issues using the opamp's output to directly drive a coaxial cable to scope. Needs 10 ohms or so of series resistance. (Unless this is actually a scope probe).

1. How does a high/low level alarm circuit work?

A high/low level alarm circuit is designed to monitor and detect changes in the input voltage level. It uses a series of LM741 op amps to compare the input voltage with a set threshold voltage. If the input voltage exceeds the threshold, the high alarm is triggered and if it falls below the threshold, the low alarm is triggered.

2. What is the role of the LM741 op amp in the circuit?

The LM741 op amp is a type of operational amplifier that acts as a comparator in the high/low level alarm circuit. It compares the input voltage with a reference voltage and outputs a high or low signal depending on the result of the comparison.

3. How many LM741 op amps are required for the circuit?

The circuit requires a total of 6 LM741 op amps, with 3 op amps used for the high alarm and 3 for the low alarm. Each op amp is configured in a voltage comparator circuit to detect changes in the input voltage level.

4. Can the threshold voltage be adjusted in the circuit?

Yes, the threshold voltage can be adjusted by changing the values of the resistors in the circuit. The threshold voltage is set at the non-inverting input of the LM741 op amp and can be adjusted to suit the specific needs of the circuit.

5. What types of alarms can be connected to the circuit?

The high/low level alarm circuit can be connected to any type of alarm that requires a high or low signal to be triggered. This can include buzzers, LEDs, or other types of audible or visual alarms. The type of alarm used will depend on the specific application of the circuit.