Connecting Linux Servers 40 Miles Apart: What's the Simplest Way?

In summary, you need pppd and sshd to connect two linux servers. You can make this as difficuilt or as easy as you want.
Omid
Hi,
We have two Linux servers (Redhat 9.0) 40 miles apart. We want to connect them to each other so that we can change our database settings and PHP files on them. In windows we just dial one of them from the other one and use a remote desktop. What should we do when we are using linux?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Ever heard of SSH? It is probably already installed. All you have to do is start the server by su'ing into root and then running the following command: /etc/init.d/sshd start

Make sure you foward ssh to that computer on the firewall.

dduardo said:
Ever heard of SSH? It is probably already installed. All you have to do is start the server by su'ing into root and then running the following command: /etc/init.d/sshd start

Make sure you foward ssh to that computer on the firewall.

Yeah, but don't you think we must first make a TCP/IP connection between those machines?
None of them are connected to the Internet. So we have to place a PPP (or something like that) connection between them.
I need a client/server deamon to make the connection via 56k modems and a phone line.
That's what I need. Please give me the name of such client/server programs. And the way we can make the PPP connection.
Thanks

Then you need pppd and sshd.

Somebody told me about Portslave. Is it neccesary to use it?
dduardo, that would be great if you could give me one of your majical links. Like the one you gave me last week, the page about configuring Samba and SWAT. I need a easy "How to do", even for Debian if you think it's easier for a novice.
Thanks a lot.

There are a bunch of guides on the internet for Dial-in Servers. You just have to look:

http://ct.radiology.uiowa.edu/~jiangm/software-docs/ppp-dialin-server/
http://linuxgazette.net/issue38/gentry.html

You can make this as difficuilt or as easy as you want. You can setup DHCP to give out IPs or you can just assign static IPs. You can have fancy or simple authentication. It all depends on your needs.

Last edited by a moderator:
let me give it a go. Offcourse I'm trying to find the simplest way.
Thanks a lot.

Related to Connecting Linux Servers 40 Miles Apart: What's the Simplest Way?

1. How do I connect two Linux machines?

To connect two Linux machines, you will need to use a network cable or a wireless connection. First, make sure both machines are connected to the same network. Then, you can use the command line interface to configure the network settings, such as IP addresses, subnet masks, and gateways. Alternatively, you can use a graphical user interface tool, such as NetworkManager, to manage the network connection.

2. Can I connect two Linux machines without a network cable?

Yes, you can connect two Linux machines without a network cable by using a wireless connection. Both machines will need to have a wireless network adapter and be connected to the same wireless network. You can then follow the same steps as connecting with a network cable to configure the network settings.

3. What is the difference between a LAN and a WAN connection?

LAN stands for Local Area Network and refers to a network that is limited to a small geographical area, such as a home or office. WAN stands for Wide Area Network and refers to a network that covers a larger geographical area, such as multiple cities or countries. Connecting two Linux machines within the same LAN will typically be easier and faster than connecting over a WAN.

4. How can I transfer files between two connected Linux machines?

You can transfer files between two connected Linux machines using various methods, such as using the command line interface with tools like scp or rsync, using a file transfer protocol (FTP) client, or setting up a shared folder using a file sharing tool like Samba. The specific method will depend on your network setup and personal preference.

5. Can I connect more than two Linux machines together?

Yes, you can connect more than two Linux machines together in a network. This can be done by using a router or switch, which will allow for multiple connections and better network management. You can also create a network of interconnected machines, known as a peer-to-peer network, without a central router or switch by configuring each machine's network settings appropriately.