Connection between General Relativity & Chaos Theory?

In summary: However, the more accurately you can specify an event's location and time, the more accurately you can predict what will happen to an object in its vicinity.
MyoPhilosopher
TL;DR Summary
Would chaos theory (of two events) only be in the realm of possibility if light could travel from locations of both events in the given delta time.
I am very new to such ideas but was wondering if there is any connection to what I am asking.
Taking two events, let's say at opposite ends of the globe. Would even A, only have a potential on event B, if light could travel between these event in the given time frame of these event occurring. Would other ideas play a role?
If I am totally wrong, I would appreciate any guidance on learning more on the topics. This was just an idea that kind of lingered in my head as I have started reading on relativity.
Looking forward to improving my understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
MyoPhilosopher said:
Would even A, only have a potential on event B, if light could travel between these event in the given time frame of these event occurring

If "have a potential on" means "causally affect", then yes; relativity says that causal effects can't travel faster than light.

I'm not sure why you refer to chaos theory specifically; what I said above about relativity applies to any causal effect.

I'm not entirely clear on what you are asking. If light would not have time (even on the shortest possible route) to travel from A to B then whatever happened at A cannot affect B. Events further back in time at the same place (however that's defined) as A could affect B.

Ibix said:
I'm not entirely clear on what you are asking. If light would not have time (even on the shortest possible route) to travel from A to B then whatever happened at A cannot affect B. Events further back in time at the same place (however that's defined) as A could affect B.
PeterDonis said:
If "have a potential on" means "causally affect", then yes; relativity says that causal effects can't travel faster than light.

I'm not sure why you refer to chaos theory specifically; what I said above about relativity applies to any causal effect.
To clarify my confusion: my initial thought was that there must be relativistic chaos. However I was struggling to conceptualize it past my above example. Would there be a better way of thinking about relativistic chaos for someone very new to the ideas?

The only change relativity makes to chaos theory (or, more precisely, its application to the real world) is that it changes which set of events you need to know about to predict the future of an object. In non-relativistic physics, everything happening simultaneously with an event can, in principle, affect it. In relativity, everything inside its past light cone can affect it. You still can't know all of that with arbitrary precision.

Likes PeterDonis and MyoPhilosopher

1. What is the connection between General Relativity and Chaos Theory?

The connection between General Relativity and Chaos Theory lies in the fact that both theories deal with the behavior of dynamic systems. General Relativity explains the behavior of large-scale systems, such as planets and galaxies, while Chaos Theory explains the behavior of small-scale systems, such as weather patterns and fluid dynamics.

2. How does General Relativity incorporate Chaos Theory?

General Relativity incorporates Chaos Theory through the concept of non-linearity. This means that small changes in initial conditions can lead to vastly different outcomes in the long run, also known as the butterfly effect. In General Relativity, this can be seen in the gravitational interactions between celestial bodies.

3. Can Chaos Theory be used to understand black holes in General Relativity?

Yes, Chaos Theory can be used to understand black holes in General Relativity. Black holes are highly chaotic systems, and Chaos Theory helps to explain the complex behavior of matter and energy within the event horizon. This can also provide insights into the behavior of space and time near a black hole.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the connection between General Relativity and Chaos Theory?

Yes, there are several real-world applications of the connection between General Relativity and Chaos Theory. For example, understanding the chaotic behavior of weather patterns can help in predicting and preparing for natural disasters. Additionally, Chaos Theory has been applied in fields such as economics, biology, and engineering.

5. How does the connection between General Relativity and Chaos Theory impact our understanding of the universe?

The connection between General Relativity and Chaos Theory deepens our understanding of the universe by providing a more comprehensive view of how dynamic systems behave. It also highlights the interconnectedness and complexity of the universe, as even small changes can have significant effects on the larger system. This can lead to new insights and discoveries in various fields of science and technology.