Connection Schumann resonance and Lightning events

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the Schumann resonance and thunderstorms, specifically the number of lightning events. The expert states that there is no direct relationship between the two and the Schumann resonance is simply a measurement of the Earth's EM wave frequency. The density of ions in the ionosphere may affect this frequency, but it has no direct effect on weather or lightning. The expert also clarifies that all ions are in the ionosphere, not the troposphere, which has very little ionization.
Marleen Renders
I just spent some time on Wikipedia, learning about Schumann resonance, and had a question:

How does the Schumann resonance relate to thunderstorms? Is there a direct relationship between the Schumann resonance and the lightning activity; the number of lightning events per second for example?

My assumption is that when the Schumann resonance is higher, there are more lightning events. The Schumann resonance is higher when the cavity between the Earth's surface and the ionosphere is smaller. To me, it would seem that the ions in our sky are then also closer together, making it more likely for lightning to occur? I'm curious if this assumption is correct, and how the measurements of both Schumann resonance and lightning events line up.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Marleen Renders said:
How does the Schumann resonance relate to thunderstorms? Is there a direct relationship between the Schumann resonance and the lightning activity; the number of lightning events per second for example?

There is none that I am aware of and I can think of no reason that there should be. Schumann resonance just means that the distance between the ionosphere and the Earth's surface supports an EM wave of a particular wavelength which falls into the extremely low frequency (ELF) part of the spectrum. The EM waves themselves appear to be generated by lightning discharges, but I doubt there is any connection between Schumann resonance and the number of lightning discharges.

Marleen Renders said:
My assumption is that when the Schumann resonance is higher, there are more lightning events. The Schumann resonance is higher when the cavity between the Earth's surface and the ionosphere is smaller. To me, it would seem that the ions in our sky are then also closer together, making it more likely for lightning to occur?

The ionosphere is well above the troposphere and has little-to-no direct effect on the weather (which is in the troposphere). The density of ions in the ionosphere might affect how it interacts with EM waves, but it will have no effect on anything happening elsewhere. Also, just to be clear, all of the ions we're talking about here are in the ionosphere. The troposphere, as a whole, has almost no ionization at all.

Likes jim mcnamara
Drakkith said:
(...) The ionosphere is well above the troposphere and has little-to-no direct effect on the weather (which is in the troposphere). The density of ions in the ionosphere might affect how it interacts with EM waves, but it will have no effect on anything happening elsewhere. Also, just to be clear, all of the ions we're talking about here are in the ionosphere. The troposphere, as a whole, has almost no ionization at all.

Great! That shows how little I know! ^_^
Thanks Drakkith! Good to have an answer!

1. How are Schumann resonances and lightning events connected?

The Earth's atmosphere acts as a waveguide for electromagnetic waves, including those generated by lightning strikes. These waves become trapped between the Earth's surface and the ionosphere, an electrically charged layer in the upper atmosphere. This trapped energy creates the Schumann resonances, low-frequency electromagnetic waves that can be detected around the globe.

2. What is the relationship between the frequency of Schumann resonances and lightning events?

The frequency of Schumann resonances is directly related to the number of lightning events occurring on Earth. When there are more lightning strikes, the intensity of the electromagnetic waves in the atmosphere increases, resulting in a higher frequency of Schumann resonances. Conversely, a decrease in lightning activity can result in a lower frequency of Schumann resonances.

3. Can Schumann resonances be used to predict lightning events?

While the frequency of Schumann resonances is directly related to lightning activity, it is not a reliable predictor of specific lightning events. This is because lightning strikes can occur in various locations and at different times, making it difficult to pinpoint when and where they will happen based on Schumann resonances alone.

4. Are there any potential health effects of Schumann resonances and lightning events?

There is some research suggesting that exposure to high levels of Schumann resonances and lightning events may have potential health effects, such as increased stress and anxiety. However, more studies are needed to fully understand the impact of these natural phenomena on human health.

5. How are scientists studying the connection between Schumann resonances and lightning events?

Scientists use a variety of tools and techniques to study the connection between Schumann resonances and lightning events, including ground-based sensors, satellites, and computer models. By monitoring and analyzing these phenomena, researchers can gain a better understanding of their relationship and potential impacts on the Earth's atmosphere and environment.