Conservation Laws in Elastic Collision of Particle with Rotating Square

In summary, the problem involves finding the angular velocity and velocity of a particle after an elastic collision with a square confined to rotation. Conservation of energy and angular momentum are used to solve for these values, with the assumption that the collision occurs in negligible time and the direction of the impulse on the particle is perpendicular to the square. However, in more advanced problems, this assumption may not hold and information about the elasticities of the bodies may be needed.
Fibo112

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m and and velocity v collides with a square of mass M (at rest)whose movement is confined to rotation about its centet. I must now solve for the angular velocity and the velocity of the particle after the collision (elastic collision)

Homework Equations

Kinetic energy and angular momentum
[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the collision if elastic the sum of the kinetic energies is certainly maintained. Linear momentum seems to not be maintained. Angular momentum about the point of rotation must be maintained since the only exfernal force seems to be the object the square if mounted on which cannot have a torque at that sams point. So convervation of energy gives me one equation but I can't seem to formulate an equation with conservation of angular momentum.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170721-014703.png
    Screenshot_20170721-014703.png
    16.5 KB · Views: 371
Physics news on Phys.org
Fibo112 said:
I can't seem to formulate an equation with conservation of angular momentum.
What is the formula for the angular momentum of a point particle?
What is the distance from the particle to the center of the cube at the point of collision?
Once you know these, it should be straight forward to calculate the angular momentum of the particle. To find the angular momentum of the cube, you need the moment of inertia for the cube which you can either derive or look up.

NFuller said:
What is the formula for the angular momentum of a point particle?
What is the distance from the particle to the center of the cube at the point of collision?
Once you know these, it should be straight forward to calculate the angular momentum of the particle. To find the angular momentum of the cube, you need the moment of inertia for the cube which you can either derive or look up.
I know how to calculate the angular momentum before the collision and I can calculate the angular momentum of the square based on its angular velocity. What i am having trouble with is calculating the angular momentum of the particle after the collision according to its velocity. For this I need to know the direction its traveling in.

Fibo112 said:
I know how to calculate the angular momentum before the collision and I can calculate the angular momentum of the square based on its angular velocity.
You should show this in your "attempt at a solution" so we know where exactly you are stuck.
Fibo112 said:
What i am having trouble with is calculating the angular momentum of the particle after the collision according to its velocity. For this I need to know the direction its traveling in.
Are you treating the angular momentum and the velocity as a scalar or a vector? If you are doing this correctly, the velocity of the particle will be a vector and contain the direction.

Fibo112 said:
For this I need to know the direction its traveling in.
What is the direction of the impulse on the particle? (Treat the impulse as taking negligible time.)

Likes NFuller
haruspex said:
What is the direction of the impulse on the particle? (Treat the impulse as taking negligible time.)
Perpendicular to the square?

Fibo112 said:
Perpendicular to the square?
Right. So what is the post-collision direction of the particle (ignoring the sign)?

haruspex said:
Right. So what is the post-collision direction of the particle (ignoring the sign)?
Also perpendicular to the initial position of the square. In this case I can solve the problem. Is this a general assumption when solving problems involving collisions that the collision occurs in negligible time?

Fibo112 said:
Also perpendicular to the initial position of the square. In this case I can solve the problem. Is this a general assumption when solving problems involving collisions that the collision occurs in negligible time?
I can imagine a problem where you should not assume that, but you would need to be given information about the elasticities of the bodies, and it would be at a very advanced level.

haruspex said:
I can imagine a problem where you should not assume that, but you would need to be given information about the elasticities of the bodies, and it would be at a very advanced level.
Ok. Thanks for your help.

1. What is a "collision with a square"?

A "collision with a square" refers to an event in which a moving object comes into contact with a square-shaped obstacle or surface.

2. How is the collision of a square different from other shapes?

The collision of a square is different from other shapes because it has four equal sides and four right angles, which can affect the angle and force of impact during the collision.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a collision with a square?

The outcome of a collision with a square can be affected by factors such as the speed and direction of the moving object, the size and orientation of the square, and the materials and properties of both the object and the square.

4. How can collisions with squares be studied and analyzed?

Collisions with squares can be studied and analyzed using various scientific methods such as experimental testing, mathematical equations and simulations, and computer modeling. These methods can provide insights into the forces and energy involved in the collision, as well as the resulting motion and deformation of the objects.

5. What are the real-world applications of studying collisions with squares?

The study of collisions with squares has real-world applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports. It can help in designing safer structures and vehicles, understanding the mechanics of sports equipment, and predicting the behavior of objects in collisions.