Conservation of Angular momentum and linear momentum

In summary, the conversation involves a user seeking help on a physics problem regarding angular momentum and a hockey puck colliding with a meter stick. The user is stuck on part a and has attempted to solve it by calculating the angular momentum of the puck before the collision. The problem does not explicitly state where to calculate the ang momentum, but conservation of ang momentum can be used to find an easier point to calculate it.
WhiteG7
I've been a fan of this forum for a while, but never signed up for it, today I'm stuck on this problem and can't find anywhere other than Chegg but I don't have a premium account.

1. Homework Statement

A meter stick is at rest on frictionless surface. A hockey puck is going towards the 30cm mark on the stick and is traveling perpendicular to the stick.
After the collision the puck is deflected 30 degrees from original path and is traveling half its original speed.

Mass of stick - 0.05kg
Mass of puck - 0.17kg
Initial speed of puck - 9 m/s

a) Choosing an origin at the starting position of the meter stick’s center of mass, what is the angular momentum of the hockey puck before the collision.
b) What is the angular momentum of the hockey puck after the collision (use the same origin)?
c) What is the velocity (direction and speed) of the stick’s center of mass after the collision?
d) What is the angular velocity of the stick (assume it will rotate about its center of mass)?

LQpBS1a.png

Homework Equations

L = I * w w= v/r L = r x p p = m * v
L = m * r * sin(theta) = m ( r x p )

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on a so I didn't attempt the rest... but here is what I did for a!

L = (0.17kg) (9m/s) r sin(theta)
Theta is the angle b/t "v" and "r"

Then I multiplied the mass and velocity to get 1.53 kgm/s
Then I said in order to find the angular momentum we need to know how far the puck is from the stick's center of mass and the angle b/t v vector and r vector.

Now as I write this I think that I should have summed all the forces in x and y component but then I still don't get what to do after that...

Physics news on Phys.org
WhiteG7 said:
Then I said in order to find the angular momentum we need to know how far the puck is from the stick's center of mass and the angle b/t v vector and r vector.
The problem statement doesn't say this, but it would be usual in a problem like this to calculate the ang mom of the puck immediately before the collision. That calculation is easy because the puck is at the 30cm point of the stick, and the angle between its velocity vector and the vector between stick centre of mass and puck is 90 degrees.

You can make use of the conservation of angular momentum before the collision to find a point where r and θ are easy to calculate.

D'oh! I forgot about what Dr Claude pointed out. So the problem doesn't need to tell you to calculate ang mom at the above point. You are free to choose where to calculate it because of it being conserved.

So I set the initial ang momentum equal to final ang momentum?

WhiteG7 said:
So I set the initial ang momentum equal to final ang momentum?
Yes.

I see one of my students is trying to get the answers for his homework 9 from online.

Regards,

Dr Fal

Old thread alert.

1. What is the difference between angular momentum and linear momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion, while linear momentum is a measure of its translational motion. Angular momentum depends on an object's mass, shape, and rotational velocity, while linear momentum depends on its mass and linear velocity.

2. How is angular momentum conserved?

Angular momentum is conserved in a system when there is no net external torque acting on the system. This means that the total angular momentum of the system remains constant, even if individual objects within the system may have changes in their angular momentum.

3. Can linear momentum be transferred into angular momentum and vice versa?

Yes, linear momentum can be transferred into angular momentum and vice versa. This can happen when a force is applied at a distance from the axis of rotation, causing an object to both rotate and translate, thus changing both its angular and linear momentum.

4. How is conservation of angular momentum and linear momentum related?

The conservation of both angular and linear momentum is based on the principle of conservation of energy. In a closed system with no external forces, the total energy (including both kinetic and potential energy) remains constant, and this leads to the conservation of both angular and linear momentum.

5. Can angular momentum be negative?

Yes, angular momentum can be negative. This means that the object's rotation is in the opposite direction from the chosen axis of rotation. However, the magnitude of angular momentum is always positive, so the negative sign only indicates the direction of rotation.