Conservation of Angular Momentum-Ice Skater

In summary: Basically, when the arms are tucked in, the distance between the center of mass of the skater and the arms is the same as the radius of the cylinder, so the moment of inertia (MoI) is the same.
Olp1217
Conservation of Angular Momentum--Ice Skater

Homework Statement

Real-life situations are generally complicated, but some can be approximately analyzed by using simple models. Such a model for a skater’s spin is shown, with a cylinder and rods representing the skater. In (a), the skater goes into the spin with the “arms” out, and in (b) the “arms” are over the head to achieve a faster spin by conservation of angular momentum. If the initial spin rate is 1 revolution per 1.5 s, what is the angular speed when the arms are tucked in?

The cylinder represents the skater's torso and has radius r = 20 cm, mass M = 75 kg. The two rods represent the skater's arms and have length L = 80 cm, mass m = 5 kg.

Homework Equations

Conservation of angular momentum (L) = I(1)ω(1) = I(2)ω(2)
Moment of Inertia of cylinder = (1/2)MR^2
Angular velocity = 2∏/T
(where T = period)
Parallel axis theorem = I = Icm + Md^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Where i indicates before her arms have been pulled in and f indicates after her arms have been pulled in:

ωi = 2∏/T = 2∏/1.5 = 4.189 rad/s.
Ii(cylinder) = .5Mr^2 = .5(75)(.2)^2 = 1.5 kg m^2
Ii(rod) = I(cylinder) + md^2 = 1.5 + 5 ((.8/2)+.2)^2 = 3.3 kg m^2
Ii(system) = 1.5 + 2(3.3) = 8.1 kg m ^2
La = Iiωi = (4.189)(8.1) = 33.931 kg m^2 / s

If(rod) = I(cylinder) + md^2 = 1.5 + 5(.2)^2 = 1.7 kg m^2
If(system) = 1.5 + 2(1.7) = 4.9 kg m^2

Iiωi = Ifωf => 33.931 = 4.9 (ωf)
ωf = 6.925 rad/s

I feel like I'm missing something huge and obvious, but for the life of me I can't see it. Please help!
According to my professor, the correct answer is somewhere between 12.5 and 13 radians/s (accounting for rounding)

Attachments

• iceskater.jpg
    iceskater.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 898
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Explain why you compute MoI of the rods that way, both cases.

I managed to get the right answer, actually. I had been calculating the moment of inertia incorrectly. Here's the right solution:

Ii = I(cylinder) + 2( (1/12) mL^2 + md^2) where d = (L/2) + r
= 1.5 + 2 ( (1/12)(5)(.8)^2 + (5)(.6)^2)
= 5.633 kg m^2
La = Ii ωi = (5.633)(4.189) = 23.598 rad/s

If = I(cylinder) + 2(md^2) where d = r
= 1.5 + 2((5)(.2)^2)
= 1.9 kg m^2

Ii ωi = If ωf => 23.598 = 1.9 ωf
ωf = 12.42 rad/s

You use the parallel axis theorem to determine the moment of inertia of the arms in relation to the center of mass of the cylinder, or the body. When the arms are above the head, the distance d in the parallel axis thm equation is the same as the radius of the cylinder because the arms can be taken as point masses on the edge of the cylinder.
I apologize if this explanation makes no sense...

What is the conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque.

How does an ice skater demonstrate the conservation of angular momentum?

When an ice skater is spinning, they start with their arms and legs extended and then pull their arms and legs in towards their body. This causes their angular velocity to increase due to the conservation of angular momentum. As the distance from the axis of rotation decreases, the moment of inertia decreases, causing an increase in angular velocity.

Why does an ice skater spin faster when pulling their arms in?

As an ice skater pulls their arms in, the moment of inertia decreases, causing an increase in angular velocity due to the conservation of angular momentum. This is similar to a figure skater spinning faster when they pull their arms and legs in during a spin.

What factors affect the conservation of angular momentum for an ice skater?

The conservation of angular momentum for an ice skater is affected by the mass and distribution of their body and the speed at which they rotate. Pulling in or extending limbs, changing their body position, and changing their skating speed can all affect the conservation of angular momentum.

Is the conservation of angular momentum only applicable to ice skaters?

No, the conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle in physics and applies to all objects in motion. It can be observed in various situations, such as a spinning top, a spinning planet, or even a spinning galaxy.