Conservation of angular momentum of disk and bullet system

In summary, the conversation discusses the conservation of angular momentum in the scenario of a bullet hitting a tilted disk and causing it to spin. The concept of relative angular velocity is brought up, which can be confusing. However, it is clarified that angular momentum is a quantity about something, such as the point of impact between the bullet and the disk. An analogy with intercepting a tennis ball is used to explain the concept further.
jcruise322
I know that the angular momentum is conserved in the below example, but intuitively I am struggling. Anyway, here goes!

Homework Statement

A bullet that is traveling without spinning hits and sticks into a filled disk tilted on its side an arbitrary distance "d" away from the center of mass. The disk and the bullet spin at an arbitrary angular velocity "w" right after the collision. Linear momentum is conserved, so the disk travels to the same height just like it was hit in the center. The system includes the bullet and the disk.

Q: How is the angular momentum conserved?

Homework Equations

This is more conceptual, but momentum equations:

Linear momentum: p=mv

Angular momentum: L = r x mv = I*w

The Attempt at a Solution

A. What is really confusing is that the only way that the angular momentum can be conserved is if the system before the collision has some sort of "relative" angular velocity, which is confusing as hell. It's easier when I think of it as the cross product of the lever arm and linear momentum, but nothing is really rotating before! A buddy told me it has angular momentum relative to the center of the mass of the disk, and that I just multiply the mass and velocity of the bullet by the radius at which the bullet hits the disk relative to the disk's center of mass. I believe it, but still, this seems counter-intuitive to me. Any conceptual help would be appreciated if anyone has the time! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The description of the set-up is far from clear to me (tilted which way in relation to the bullet's trajectory? How do these relate to the axis of the disk? Is the disk free standing or mounted on an axle?...)
But to answer your question, given an object of mass m moving with velocity ##\vec v## at position ##\vec r## relative to a point P, the angular momentum of the mass about P is given by ##m\vec r \times\vec v##.

Thanks for the response! Yeah, the setup looks like this image I found using google. I know when you say is true, I just am having a hard time thinking about angular momentum as a quantity about something. I understand it better now though!

untitled_435.jpg

jcruise322 said:
I just am having a hard time thinking about angular momentum as a quantity about something.
Imagine intercepting a tennis ball struck straight at your chest by holding a racket head right in front of you. You feel the impulse, but there's no tendency to spin you around. Intercepting a parallel ball at the furthest you can reach out to the side with extended arm and racket would be quite another story. That's angular momentum for you.

1. What is the conservation of angular momentum in a disk and bullet system?

The conservation of angular momentum in a disk and bullet system refers to the principle that states the total angular momentum of the system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that the angular momentum of the disk and bullet before and after a collision will be the same.

2. How does the conservation of angular momentum apply to a disk and bullet colliding?

When a disk and bullet collide, the angular momentum of the system is conserved. This means that the initial angular momentum of the system (before the collision) will be equal to the final angular momentum of the system (after the collision). This principle can be used to analyze the motion and velocity of the disk and bullet after the collision.

3. What factors affect the conservation of angular momentum in a disk and bullet system?

The conservation of angular momentum in a disk and bullet system can be affected by the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation of the disk and bullet. Other factors such as external forces or torques can also impact the conservation of angular momentum.

4. Can the conservation of angular momentum be broken in a disk and bullet system?

No, the conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental principle of physics and cannot be broken in a disk and bullet system. As long as there are no external forces or torques acting on the system, the total angular momentum will remain constant.

5. How is the conservation of angular momentum of a disk and bullet system useful in real-world applications?

The conservation of angular momentum in a disk and bullet system is crucial in many real-world applications, such as rocket propulsion, satellite motion, and sports such as ice skating and gymnastics. It allows us to predict and understand the motion and behavior of objects in rotational motion, making it an essential concept in physics and engineering.