Which system to apply conservation of momentum to?

In summary, the question is whether conservation of angular momentum should be applied to the person, the swing, or the person-swing system. The angular momentum of the person-swing system is conserved, but the individual angular momentums of the person and the swing are not. The necessary torque for the person-swing system to maintain angular momentum comes from the force of static friction between the swing and the person's feet.
chris25
Homework Statement
A person stands on the seat of a swing and squats down, so that the distance between their center of mass (CM) and the swing’s pivot is L0. As the swing gets to the lowest point, the speed of their CM is V. At this moment, they quickly stand up, and thus decrease the distance from their CM to the swing’s pivot to L'. Immediately after they finish standing up, their CM speed is v0.
Relevant Equations
Comes from F=ma 2020b
Conservation of Angular Momentum
For this problem I was very confused whether conservation of angular momentum should be applied to the person, the swing or the person-swing system. It seems to me that there is no net torque on any of the three systems I listed above. However, it seems that the angular momentums of the three separates systems I listed cannot all be conserved simultaneously. Which system should I use, and for the systems wthere angular momentum is not conserved, where does the net torque come from? Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 10.56.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 10.56.57 PM.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 61
Physics news on Phys.org
If you take as your system the person + the swing, then the angular momentum of this system is conserved. As the person stands up, his/her/zes CM at its new radius must acquire a smaller angular velocity for the system's two components to continue moving as one. The torque that provides the needed angular acceleration opposite to the angular velocity comes from the force of static friction exerted by the swing on the person's soles. Of course an equal and opposite torque is exerted by the soles on the swing and the net torque on the two-component system is zero.

Likes chris25 and Lnewqban
kuruman said:
The torque that provides the needed angular acceleration opposite to the angular velocity comes from the force of static friction exerted by the swing on the person's soles
Not the soles, I think. Unless holding on to the ropes either side, the swinger would be thrown forwards off the seat.

1. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on the system.

2. How is the conservation of momentum applied?

The conservation of momentum is applied by considering all the objects or particles in a system and calculating their individual momenta, which is the product of an object's mass and velocity. The total momentum of the system before and after any interactions or collisions must be equal.

3. Which system should I apply the conservation of momentum to?

The conservation of momentum can be applied to any closed system, meaning that there is no external net force acting on the system. This includes systems such as collisions between objects, explosions, and interactions between particles.

4. What are some real-world examples of the conservation of momentum?

Some real-world examples of the conservation of momentum include a billiard ball collision, a rocket launch, and a car crash. In each of these scenarios, the total momentum of the system remains constant before and after the interaction or collision.

5. Why is the conservation of momentum important?

The conservation of momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that helps us understand and predict the behavior of objects and systems in motion. It is also a key principle in many engineering and technological applications, such as designing safer cars and rockets.