Conservation of Angular Momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the scenario of being pushed off balance by a sudden gust of wind while standing on the edge of a cliff. The question is posed about whether to rotate one's arms forwards or backwards to regain balance, and the answer is given as forwards. The principle being used in this case is not angular momentum, as it would not help regain balance, but rather the use of a force to counteract the external torque from wind and gravity. It is also noted that the wind has a sudden, one-time effect and does not have an ongoing impact.
Katie Morton

Homework Statement

Imagine that you are standing on the edge of a cliff looking out over the vista… a sudden gust of wind nudges you off balance and you start tilting out over the edge of the cliff…. Yikes! You start wind milling your arms to regain your balance. A) do you rotate your arms forwards or backwards (to help you regain your balance)? B) What principle are you using in this case? C) Should you rotate your arms quickly or slowly (and why)?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I believe that the answer should be backwards so that it would cancel out the forward rotation of your body however the solution sheet for this question says it is forward. I do not understand how it could be forward because it seems to me like this would just make you fall off the cliff.

I understand B and C

Physics news on Phys.org
Katie Morton said:

Homework Statement

Imagine that you are standing on the edge of a cliff looking out over the vista… a sudden gust of wind nudges you off balance and you start tilting out over the edge of the cliff…. Yikes! You start wind milling your arms to regain your balance. A) do you rotate your arms forwards or backwards (to help you regain your balance)? B) What principle are you using in this case? C) Should you rotate your arms quickly or slowly (and why)?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

A. I believe that the answer should be backwards so that it would cancel out the forward rotation of your body however the solution sheet for this question says it is forward. I do not understand how it could be forward because it seems to me like this would just make you fall off the cliff.

I understand B and C

Angular momentum is not going to get your centre of gravity back behind the edge of the cliff. So, what will?

Angular momentum won't be conserved because there is external torque acting on you by wind and gravity.

Buffu said:
Angular momentum won't be conserved because there is external torque acting on you by wind and gravity.

It says a "sudden gust", so the wind has no ongoing effect. And, angular momentum about your centre of gravity will not be affected by gravity.

There's a force missing here!

1. What is conservation of angular momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques.

2. How is angular momentum defined?

Angular momentum is defined as the product of an object's mass, velocity, and distance from a fixed point, and its direction is perpendicular to the plane of rotation.

3. What is an example of conservation of angular momentum?

A classic example of conservation of angular momentum is a spinning ice skater. When the skater pulls their arms closer to their body, their rotation speed increases due to the conservation of angular momentum.

4. Is angular momentum conserved in all systems?

Yes, angular momentum is conserved in all systems as long as there are no external torques acting on the system. This is known as the law of conservation of angular momentum.

5. How does conservation of angular momentum relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Conservation of angular momentum is a consequence of Newton's laws of motion, particularly the law of inertia. It states that an object will maintain its state of motion unless acted upon by an external force, or in this case, torque.