Conservation of Energy/ Centripetal Acceleration HELP

In summary, the particle has kinetic energy, centripetal acceleration, and tangential acceleration while it is sliding on the sphere. The value of theta at which the particle leaves the sphere is not clear from the information given.
vinny380
A particle of mass m slides down a fixed, frictionless sphere of radius R. starting from rest at the top.
a. In terms of m, g, R. and theta, determine each of the following for the particle while it is sliding on the
sphere.
i. The kinetic energy of the particle
ii. The centripetal acceleration of the mass
iii. The tangential acceleration of the mass
b. Determine the value of theta at which the particle leaves the sphere.

I can not get the picture on here, but it is basically a picture of a sphere with a mass on the top of the sphere, and the same mass moved slightly to the right. The angle between these two masses is theta, making a V to the center of the circle.

For Part A ...
I: PE=KE
mgr=PE
mgr(r-rcos(theta))=KE
mgr(1-cos(theta))=KE <-- Does this look good?

II: Centripetal Acceleration:
A= v^squared/r
A= 2g(1-cos(theta)) <---- Look good?

III. Totally lost... help!

B. Not sure either ...sigh

Physics news on Phys.org
vinny380 said:
A particle of mass m slides down a fixed, frictionless sphere of radius R. starting from rest at the top.
a. In terms of m, g, R. and theta, determine each of the following for the particle while it is sliding on the
sphere.
i. The kinetic energy of the particle
ii. The centripetal acceleration of the mass
iii. The tangential acceleration of the mass
b. Determine the value of theta at which the particle leaves the sphere.

I can not get the picture on here, but it is basically a picture of a sphere with a mass on the top of the sphere, and the same mass moved slightly to the right. The angle between these two masses is theta, making a V to the center of the circle.

For Part A ...
I: PE=KE ==> PE + KE = constant
mgr=PE ==> mgr = Initial PE
mgr(r-rcos(theta))=KE <== too maany r
mgr(1-cos(theta))=KE <-- Does this look good? Yes

II: Centripetal Acceleration:
A= v^squared/r
A= 2g(1-cos(theta)) <---- Look good? Yes

III. Totally lost... help!

B. Not sure either ...sigh
With some corrections made in the quote I and II are OK. For III I think you need to take your equation for I and express the KE in terms of velocity. Take the derivative wrt to time of both sides and see what you can do with that. For B you need to think about where the force comes from that provides the centripetal acceleration. When is there not enough force to maintain the circular motion?

Last edited:
Vincent Russo ! this is Mr. Lavy- you shouldn't be asking for homework help for my class! HAHAHA

wow. mr lavy stalks. who knew =p lol

btw, I tried the first wow problem and the answer seemed a bit easy...I have to ask about it in class later.

Related to Conservation of Energy/ Centripetal Acceleration HELP

1. What is the principle of conservation of energy?

The principle of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed or transferred from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to centripetal acceleration?

In circular motion, an object experiences centripetal acceleration towards the center of the circle. This acceleration is caused by a force, such as tension in a string or gravity. According to the principle of conservation of energy, the total energy of the system (kinetic and potential energy) remains constant, even as the object accelerates towards the center. This means that any increase in kinetic energy due to the object's speed is balanced by a decrease in potential energy due to its changing position.

3. Can conservation of energy be violated?

No, the principle of conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics and has been proven to hold true in all observed physical phenomena. However, energy can appear to be lost in certain situations, such as friction, but it is actually transformed into other forms of energy (such as heat or sound).

4. How is the concept of work related to conservation of energy?

Work, defined as the transfer of energy from one object to another, is closely related to the principle of conservation of energy. The work done by a force on an object is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy. This means that if no external forces are acting on the object, the work done will be equal to zero and the object's kinetic energy will remain constant, in accordance with the principle of conservation of energy.

5. What are some real-life examples of conservation of energy in action?

Some common examples of conservation of energy include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a roller coaster going through loops, or a satellite orbiting around a planet. In all of these situations, the total energy of the system remains constant, with changes in potential and kinetic energy balancing out. Additionally, energy is conserved in everyday activities such as driving a car, turning on a light switch, or using a cell phone.