Conservation of energy in quantum gravity

KleinMoretti
TL;DR Summary
is conservation of energy present in our current theories of gravity?

This is what I found regarding LQG
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ahep/2009/905705/
is conservation of energy present in our current theories of gravity? more specifically string theory and loop quantum gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
KleinMoretti said:
is conservation of energy present in our current theories of gravity? more specifically string theory and loop quantum gravity?
String theory and loop quantum gravity are not "our current theories of gravity". They are speculations about a possible quantum theory of gravity.

As such, I am moving this thread to the Beyond the Standard Models forum.

Likes pines-demon
PeterDonis said:
String theory and loop quantum gravity are not "our current theories of gravity". They are speculations about a possible quantum theory of gravity.
okay fair point, but still my question still stands

KleinMoretti said:
TL;DR Summary: is conservation of energy present in our current theories of gravity?

This is what I found regarding LQG
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ahep/2009/905705/

I do not know about string theory or LQG, but in general relativity the usual concept of energy conservation is complex. Some would even say it is not locally conserved depending on the definition. Other would argue that Einstein's equation are a sort of energy conservation. However the point is that the usual notion of energy conservation is more complex in GR and needs to be discussed in more precise terms when handling non-pertubative gravity.

Last edited:
pines-demon said:
I do not know about string theory of LQG, but in general relativity the usual concept of energy conservation is complex in general relativity. Some would even say it is not locally conserved depending on the definition. Other would argue that Einstein's equation are a sort of energy conservation. However the point is that the usual notion of energy conservation is more complex in GR and needs to be discussed in more precise terms when handling non-pertubative gravity.
yes I know that in GR conservation of energy is more subtle, I also know that in QFT there isn't as much trouble with it which is why it made me curious about string theory and LQG

KleinMoretti said:
I also know that in QFT there isn't as much trouble with it
In QFT in flat spacetime there isn't. But QFT in flat spacetime means QFT ignoring gravity.

PeterDonis said:
In QFT in flat spacetime there isn't. But QFT in flat spacetime means QFT ignoring gravity.
And what about string theory and LQG

KleinMoretti said:
And what about string theory and LQG
Since they both claim to be theories of gravity, I would expect them to have the same issues as General Relativity has with conservation of energy. But I'm not knowledgeable enough about the details to say how specifically those issues appear.

PeterDonis said:
Since they both claim to be theories of gravity, I would expect them to have the same issues as General Relativity has with conservation of energy. But I'm not knowledgeable enough about the details to say how specifically those issues appear.
But I thought quantum gravity would solve those problems

KleinMoretti said:
Why? These are not "problems" but features of the theory.

KleinMoretti said:
Why would you think that? Why do you think they are "problems" to begin with?

PeterDonis said:
Why would you think that? Why do you think they are "problems" to begin with?
I was referring to the issues that you mentioned general relativity has with energy I didn’t mean to imply that it was a problem of the theory, I thought that a theory of gravity would help with those issues.

• Skeptical
Likes pines-demon
KleinMoretti said:
I was referring to the issues that you mentioned general relativity has with energy
Yes, I know.

KleinMoretti said:
I didn’t mean to imply that it was a problem of the theory
Ok.

KleinMoretti said:
I thought that a theory of gravity would help with those issues.
I take it you mean a theory of quantum gravity. But if there isn't a problem, why would any help be needed?

PeterDonis said:
Yes, I know.

Ok.

I take it you mean a theory of quantum gravity. But if there isn't a problem, why would any help be needed?
I though that the main issue GR has with energy conservation is that gravitational energy is a non-local quantity, you can't express gravitational energy as a local density. I was under the impression that a theory of quantum gravity would deal with this problem.

KleinMoretti said:
I though that the main issue GR has with energy conservation is that gravitational energy is a non-local quantity, you can't express gravitational energy as a local density.
That's true.

KleinMoretti said:
I was under the impression that a theory of quantum gravity would deal with this problem.
Again, why do you think it's a problem?

PeterDonis said:
That's true.

Again, why do you think it's a problem?
I mean there is a reason why we have pseudotensors, isn’t it because some people think that this is problematic enough that it deserves a solution

KleinMoretti said:
I though that the main issue GR has with energy conservation is that gravitational energy is a non-local quantity, you can't express gravitational energy as a local density. I was under the impression that a theory of quantum gravity would deal with this problem.
I do not think any current program of quantum gravity is actively trying to make a new definition of conservation of energy in curved spacetime. Again the subtlety of energy in GR is related to how curved space-time needs to be described, but this feature is inherent to relativity and definitely not an issue. Quantum gravity is more focused on other problems like quantizing gravity in a formalism comparable or at least compatible with quantum electrodynamics or chromodynamics. Other problems are related to how to deal with singularities in extreme gravitational fields like those found near black holes or the beginnings of the Universe.

pines-demon said:
I do not think any current program of quantum gravity is actively trying to make a new definition of conservation of energy in curved spacetime. Again the subtlety of energy in GR is related to how curved space-time needs to be described, but this feature is inherent to relativity and definitely not an issue. Quantum gravity is more focused on other problems like quantizing gravity in a formalism comparable or at least compatible with quantum electrodynamics or chromodynamics. Other problems are related to how to deal with singularities in extreme gravitational fields like those found near black holes or the beginnings of the Universe.
So are you saying conservation of energy in quantum gravity is the same as in GR, with the same subtleties?(e.g. depending on the definitions energy is/isn’t conserved)

KleinMoretti said:
So are you saying conservation of energy in quantum gravity is the same as in GR, with the same subtleties?(e.g. depending on the definitions energy is/isn’t conserved)
We do not have a valid theory of quantum gravity so I can't tell, but it would be very conflicting if GR and QG do not have a limit in which both agree.

pines-demon said:
We do not have a valid theory of quantum gravity so I can't tell, but it would be very conflicting if GR and QG do not have a limit in which both agree.
I guess I should have specified, is conservation of energy treated the same in string theory and LGQ as in GR?

KleinMoretti said:
I mean there is a reason why we have pseudotensors, isn’t it because some people think that this is problematic enough that it deserves a solution
But the pseudotensors do not solve the problem you described earlier: they don't give a way to localize "gravitational energy". They only give a way to define a global energy in spacetimes which are not asymptotically flat or stationary, so the recognized global energies for those particular cases do not exist. And all the pseudotensor definitions are frame-dependent, so whether they actually provide a valid global energy is itself questionable.

And you saying that this should also be the same for string theory and LGQ or any theory that deals with gravity no?

KleinMoretti said:
And you saying that this should also be the same for string theory and LGQ or any theory that deals with gravity no?
I have already said all I can usefully say about string theory and LQG in post #8.

PeterDonis said:
I have already said all I can usefully say about string theory and LQG in post #8.
Okay, thanks for your input.

Not to bring up an older thread, but this is an interesting topic. Most of the conceptual subtleties around conservation of energy in quantum gravity are already contained in classical GR. If you have a spacetime with an asymptotic null/timelike boundary, then energy can be defined at infinity and has conservation laws associated to it. What this actually defines is a Hamiltonian at infinity which generates time evolution. In canonical quantum gravity this boundary Hamiltonian can be quantized, with all the usual subtleties (but nothing specific to conservation of energy).

In the bulk of the spacetime we just have the Hamiltonian constraint. This basically says there's no gauge-invariant bulk notion of energy/time. It is famously difficult to construct a Hilbert space of states which satisfies the Hamiltonian constraint in higher dimensions, but again nothing really related to the conceptual issues surrounding conservation of energy.

In classical GR, one way to get a meaningful notion of bulk energy is via the covariant phase space formalism applied to finite boundaries in the bulk. For example you can treat the event horizon as a boundary of the exterior and define quasi-local charges on cuts of the horizon associated to bulk diffeomorphisms. This essentially acts as a Hamiltonian for exterior degrees of freedom. This will satisfy conservation laws as usual. But this is much trickier to achieve in quantum gravity, where the bulk spacetime fluctuates (and can even have topological changes), hence making it difficult to precisely defined a finite boundary in the bulk spacetime, though it can be done via constraints. Once again, nothing about quantum gravity adds conceptual depth to the notion of energy in gravity. It's already quite deep in GR.