Conservation of Energy with changing masses on ice

In summary, the problem involves two masses, one moving at 1.8 m/s and the other stationary, colliding on ice with a coefficient of kinetic friction of .042. The question asks for the distance the pair will slide after the collision, assuming a non-elastic collision. The conservation of energy and work equations can be used to solve the problem, taking into account the change in mass and the forces of friction.
Nojins

Homework Statement

Mass 1(75kg) glides on ice at 1.8 m/s to a second stationary mass, (52 kg) How far will the pair slide after the collision if the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ice and their skates is .042?

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy, Kinetic Energy, Work
Ek=1/2mv^2, W=FΔd, Ff=μk(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that all the initial energy (121J) is the moving object's kinetic energy and that the energy is conserved. I'm just confused how I would set up the equation given that the overall mass changes.
The force of friction for the first mass is 31N, and the force of friction for both masses is 52.3. I don't know how to factor this in.
I think this is a nonelastic collision, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Do I use Momentum? P=mΔv

Physics news on Phys.org
Nojins said:

Homework Statement

Mass 1(75kg) glides on ice at 1.8 m/s to a second stationary mass, (52 kg) How far will the pair slide after the collision if the coefficient of kinetic friction between the ice and their skates is .042?

Homework Equations

Conservation of energy, Kinetic Energy, Work
Ek=1/2mv^2, W=FΔd, Ff=μk(Fn)

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that all the initial energy (121J) is the moving object's kinetic energy and that the energy is conserved. I'm just confused how I would set up the equation given that the overall mass changes.
The force of friction for the first mass is 31N, and the force of friction for both masses is 52.3. I don't know how to factor this in.
I think this is a nonelastic collision, but please correct me if I'm wrong. Do I use Momentum? P=mΔv
I think the question is ambiguous, too. Given that it asks how far the pair slides, I think the idea is that the pair of masses merges at the point of collision and they slide together.
Why don't you take a shot a solving it and see what happens?

Likes Nojins
Nojins said:
that the energy is conserved.
Nojins said:
I think this is a nonelastic collision
So work is not conserved.

Likes Nojins

1. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental law of physics that states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. How does conservation of energy apply to changing masses on ice?

In this scenario, conservation of energy applies because the total energy of the system (which includes the ice, the changing masses, and any external forces) remains constant. As the masses move on the ice, energy is transferred between kinetic energy and potential energy, but the total energy remains the same.

3. What factors affect the conservation of energy on ice?

The conservation of energy on ice is affected by several factors, including the mass and velocity of the objects on the ice, the surface area and condition of the ice, and any external forces such as friction or air resistance.

4. How can we calculate the conservation of energy on ice?

To calculate the conservation of energy on ice, we can use the equation Ei = Ef, where Ei is the initial energy of the system and Ef is the final energy of the system. This equation can be solved by taking into account all the factors that affect the conservation of energy, such as potential energy, kinetic energy, and any external forces.

5. What are some real-life applications of conservation of energy on ice?

Conservation of energy on ice has many real-life applications, such as in ice skating, where the skater's energy is conserved as they glide across the ice. It also applies to sports like hockey and curling, where energy is conserved as the objects on the ice interact with each other and the ice surface. Additionally, the principles of conservation of energy on ice are important in understanding and predicting the behavior of glaciers and ice sheets in climate change studies.