Conservation of energy/Angular momentum for elastic collison

In summary, the problem involves a uniform thin rod of length L and mass M that is freely rotating about a point O. A ball of mass m on a light string of length R is attached to the rod at point O and is deflected by a small angle α from the vertical before being released. The collision between the ball and the rod is totally elastic. Using conservation of angular momentum and energy, the length R of the string can be found in terms of the masses and length of the rod. After solving for R, the final equation is R= √(1/3)M/m *L.
Oliver Legote

Homework Statement

A uniform thin rod of Length L and mass M can freely rotate about a point 0 and is at rest in at the vertical. A ball of mass m on a light string of length R, which is also attached about the pivot is deflected by a small angle from the vertical and let go of.

If the collision is totally elastic find the length of the string such that after the collision the ball remains at rest in the vertical

Homework Equations

Conservation of Angular momentum; I1ϖ1 = I2ϖ2
Conservation of Energy; U1+K1= U2+K2
Ek= 1/2 mv^2
GPE= MGH

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to find the GPE of the ball on the string at rest when it is deflected, using V=√(2gh) where H was defined as the change in the y-coordinate of the ball's center of mass: R(1-cosα) where I defined α as the small deflection that was not named.

I then tried to used the moment of inertia of a Rod passing through the end as (1/3) M L2.

As the collision is elastic Kinetic energy is conserved, however I cannot for the life of me get an equation in which I can isolate R in terms of L. I can't seem to find the angular speed of the rod after it is struck, which I feel is the way to go.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Oliver Legote said:
V=√(2gh)
You do not need to worry about the starting height. Let the ball has some angular velocity ωi just before the collision.
Invent other variables as necessary.
What equations can you write?

haruspex said:
You do not need to worry about the starting height. Let the ball has some angular velocity ωi just before the collision.
Invent other variables as necessary.
What equations can you write?

If I let the ball have a given angular velocity I can write conservation of angular momentum? I can give the Rod an angular velocity after the collision of ωf.

Kinetic energy is conserved so ½mvi2= ½Mvf2; where Where v=ωr so;
½mωi^2 R^2 = ½M ωf^2 L^2

I could use angular momentum of the ball = mvr? Where v=ωr so;

mωr2= 1/3ML2ωf?

I'm still a bit lost as to how to proceed. I'm still not sure how I can isolate R in terms of L with what I have? Am I missing a variable here?

You have the KE of the rod wrong. You need to consider its rotational energy.
When you have that corrected you will have two equations. What variable in them do you need to eliminate?

So I have the Ek's as equal:

Eqn1: 1/6 ML2ωF2= 1/2mωi2R2

Equation 2 is the conservation of angular momentum;
Eqn 2: mω2iR^2 = 1/3ML2ωf

Eliminating ωf I get

mR^2 = 1/3 ML^2EDIT: So final answer as R= √(1/3)M/m *L

Which is still leaving me with the length in terms of the masses, is this okay? Or is my physics still incorrect?

Last edited:
Oliver Legote said:
So I have the Ek's as equal:

Eqn1: 1/6 ML2ωF2= 1/2mωi2R2

Equation 2 is the conservation of angular momentum;
Eqn 2: mω2iR^2 = 1/3ML2ωf

Eliminating ωf I get

mR^2 = 1/3 ML^2EDIT: So final answer as R= √(1/3)M/m *L

Which is still leaving me with the length in terms of the masses, is this okay? Or is my physics still incorrect?

That all looks right.
The question specifies the variables m, M and L, so you should expect all of those to turn up in the answer.

What is the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed or transferred from one form to another. In other words, the total energy in a closed system remains constant.

What is the law of conservation of angular momentum?

The law of conservation of angular momentum states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external torques. This means that if there are no external forces acting on a system, its angular momentum will remain the same.

How does the law of conservation of energy apply to elastic collisions?

In elastic collisions, the total kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This is because no energy is lost due to deformation or heat. The law of conservation of energy applies to elastic collisions as the total energy in the system remains constant.

How does the law of conservation of angular momentum apply to elastic collisions?

In elastic collisions, the total angular momentum of the system before and after the collision remains the same. This is because no external torques act on the system. The law of conservation of angular momentum applies to elastic collisions as the total angular momentum remains constant.

What are some real-life examples of conservation of energy and angular momentum?

Some examples of conservation of energy include a pendulum swinging back and forth, a roller coaster going up and down, and a ball rolling down a hill. Some examples of conservation of angular momentum include ice skaters spinning and a planet orbiting around a star.