Conservation of Momentum- Elastic collision

In summary, the problem involves two balls, one smaller ball of mass m1 and one larger ball of mass m2=0.63kg, being dropped simultaneously from a height of 1.8m. The larger ball rebounds elastically from the floor and then collides with the small ball, which also rebounds elastically. The goal is to find the value of m1 that results in the larger ball stopping when it collides with the small ball. Using the equations for momentum and kinetic energy, we can deduce the velocities of both balls as they reach the ground to be 5.9m/s. Since the larger ball rebounds elastically, its velocity after bouncing is -5.9m/s. We also know
MostlyHarmless

Homework Statement

A small ball of mass, ##m_1## is aligned above a larger ball of mass ##m_2=0.63kg##, with a slight seperation. The two are dropped simultaneously from a height ##h=1.8m##(Assume the radius of each ball is negligible relative to h.) (a) If the larger ball rebounds elastically from the floor and then the small ball rebounds elastically from the larger ball, what value of ##m_1## results in the larger ball stopping when it collides with the small ball?(b)What height does the small ball then reach?

Homework Equations

##p=mv##
##KE=(1/2)mv^2##
For part b: ##v^2_f=v^2_i+2a(y-y_0)##

The Attempt at a Solution

I used ##PE=KE## to find the velocities of both balls as they reach the ground to be ##v_1=v_2=5.9m/s##. Where v1 is the velocity of the larger ball and v2 is of the smaller ball.
Since the big ball rebounds elastically off the floor and the floor doesn't move, it's velocity after bouncing is just ##v_1=-5.9m/s##.
Other values deduced: ##v_1'=0##, where ##v_1'## is the velocity AFTER colliding with the ball.

##m_1v_1+m_2v_2=m_1v_1'+m_2v_2'## Where ##v_2'## is the velocity of the small ball after the collision with the larger ball. ##m_1v_1'=0## if the large ball stops.

Where I'm getting hung up is I have 2 unknowns. I tried also writing out the an equation depicting conservation of KE and using those two as a system of equations, but I'm either doing my algebra wrong, or it's just not the right way to go. I have what I think is a clear pictured of what is going on in my head, but I'm just not seeing how to get mass without that other velocity##v_2'##. The answer in the back of the book is .21kg. I'm not worried about part b. That part will be easy enough after I finish part a.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jesse H. said:
Where v1 is the velocity of the larger ball and v2 is of the smaller ball.
You have your 1s and 2s swapped. m1 is the smaller ball.
I tried also writing out the an equation depicting conservation of KE and using those two as a system of equations, but I'm either doing my algebra wrong, or it's just not the right way to go.
It is the right way to go. You are told the balls bounce elastically off each other, and you need this extra equation. Pls post your working.

1. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, regardless of any external forces acting on the system. This means that the total momentum before and after a collision or interaction between objects must be the same.

2. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision do not permanently deform or lose any energy during the interaction. In an ideal elastic collision, the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the system are both conserved.

3. How is momentum conserved in an elastic collision?

In an elastic collision, momentum is conserved through the transfer of momentum between the colliding objects. During the collision, the total momentum of the system is the same before and after the collision, even if the individual momenta of the objects involved may change.

4. What is the equation for calculating momentum in an elastic collision?

The equation for calculating momentum in an elastic collision is: m1v1 + m2v2 = m1v1' + m2v2', where m is the mass of the object and v is the velocity before and after the collision, respectively. This equation is based on the principle of conservation of momentum.

5. What factors affect the conservation of momentum in an elastic collision?

The main factors that affect the conservation of momentum in an elastic collision are the masses and velocities of the objects involved. The larger the mass or velocity of an object, the larger its momentum will be. Additionally, external forces, such as friction, can also affect the conservation of momentum in a collision.