Conservation of momentum of a skateboard

In summary: The forward jump gives you a horizontal velocity, the upward jump gives you an upward velocity, and you really need both to clear the obstacle.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

A 48.0-kg boy, riding a 1.60-kg skateboard at a velocity of 5.80 m/s across a level sidewalk, jumps forward to leap over a wall. Just after leaving contact with the board, the boy's velocity relative to the sidewalk is 6.00 m/s, 7.40° above the horizontal. Ignore any friction between the skateboard and the sidewalk. What is the skateboard's velocity relative to the sidewalk at this instant? Be sure to include the correct algebraic sign with your answer.

Homework Equations

Pfinal = Pinitial

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I start with ##\vec{P}_0 = \vec{P}## then

##(m_b + m_s)\vec{v}_0 = m_b\vec{v}_b + m_s\vec{v}_s##
then
##\displaystyle \vec{v}_s = \frac{(m_b + m_s)\vec{v}_0 - m_b\vec{v}_b}{m_s}##
then
##\displaystyle v_{sx} = \frac{(m_b + m_s)v_0 - m_bv_b\cos7.4}{m_s}##
then
##v_{sx} = 1.3~m/s##

However, this is not the right answer. What am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see a problem with your method. If it's an online quiz perhaps it's a stickler for significant figures?

I agree with gneill that your answer looks correct except for the number of significant figures.

I will add a nit-picky comment. The following two equations are not really correct for this problem:

##\vec{P}_0 = \vec{P}##

##(m_b + m_s)\vec{v}_0 = m_b\vec{v}_b + m_s\vec{v}_s##
The above equations imply that both the x and y components of total momentum are conserved. But, in this problem, only the x component is conserved.

Likes Mr Davis 97
TSny said:
I agree with gneill that your answer looks correct except for the number of significant figures.

I will add a nit-picky comment. The following two equations are not really correct for this problem:The above equations imply that both the x and y components of total momentum are conserved. But, in this problem, only the x component is conserved.

Those vector equations are not correct because the Earth applies a normal force in the y-direction, and that is an external force, which makes conservation of momentum invalid, right? I just want to make sure I understand you.

Also, I get a positive number. Shouldn't I get a negative one since the boy is pushing off the skateboard in the opposite direction? Could one of you do the problem and see if you come out with the same number as I do? I don't think that it is a significant figure problem because the answer can be within +/- 2%, which would more than make up for significant figure difference.

1.299191 -- if there are no typos (7.4##^\circ## isn't all that much)

Likes Mr Davis 97
Mr Davis 97 said:
I don't think that it is a significant figure problem because the answer can be within +/- 2%, which would more than make up for significant figure difference.
As far as significant figures is concerned, 1.3 is not equal to 1.30 . It's off by 1 in 3 :smile:

Mr Davis 97 said:
Those vector equations are not correct because the Earth applies a normal force in the y-direction, and that is an external force, which makes conservation of momentum invalid, right? I just want to make sure I understand you.
Yes, that's exactly right.

Also, I get a positive number. Shouldn't I get a negative one since the boy is pushing off the skateboard in the opposite direction? Could one of you do the problem and see if you come out with the same number as I do? I don't think that it is a significant figure problem because the answer can be within +/- 2%, which would more than make up for significant figure difference.
OK, I had not worked out the numbers. When I do, I get 1.30 m/s to 3 significant figures. So, 1.3 should have worked.
There is no reason why the skateboard must end up going backwards just because the boy pushed backward on the skateboard. If the force was not very strong, it might just slow down the skateboard but leave it going in the same direction.

Likes Mr Davis 97
This is the picture from the problem:
cssd6vB.jpg

However, it seems strongly misleading. Originally, I entered -1.3 m/s, because I thought that I had got a sign error, because the picture clearly shows that the skateboard should be going in the negative direction. I re-entered with what I had originally got, and what you guys got, 1.3 m/s, and it was correct. Perhaps the problem was written for different numbers in which the skateboard ended up having a negative velocity; with these, it came out positive. Thank you guys for your help!

Great! Good work.

However, it seems strongly misleading
I second that. Perhaps the exercise maker had a bad day. I am too old for a skateboard, but I suppose you want to jump up instead of forward when approaching a vertical barrier.

Likes Mr Davis 97

1. What is conservation of momentum?

Conservation of momentum is a fundamental law in physics that states that the total momentum of a system remains constant, unless acted upon by an external force. In other words, momentum cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be transferred between objects.

2. How does conservation of momentum apply to skateboarding?

A skateboard and its rider form a closed system, meaning that there are no external forces acting on them (ignoring air resistance). Therefore, the total momentum of the system remains constant. This means that any change in the momentum of the skateboard must be offset by an equal and opposite change in the momentum of the rider, and vice versa.

3. Why is it important to understand conservation of momentum in skateboarding?

Understanding conservation of momentum in skateboarding is important for many reasons. Firstly, it allows riders to perform tricks and stunts safely by predicting how their momentum will change during the maneuver. It also helps in designing skateparks and ramps, as the momentum of the rider must be taken into account to ensure a smooth and safe ride.

4. How does the mass of the skateboard affect its momentum?

The mass of the skateboard has a direct impact on its momentum. According to the equation for momentum (p = mv), a skateboard with a greater mass will have a greater momentum. This means that it will be more difficult to change its direction or stop its motion compared to a skateboard with a lower mass.

5. Can friction affect the conservation of momentum in skateboarding?

Yes, friction can affect the conservation of momentum in skateboarding. Friction is a force that acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing it to slow down or stop. In skateboarding, friction from the ground or the wheels can cause a decrease in momentum, which must be offset by a decrease in the rider's momentum to maintain conservation of momentum in the system.