Momentum and bar chart representations

In summary, Steve (68 kg) rolls into a room on a skateboard at 2 m/s and jumps off. The skateboard moves at 1.0 m/s toward the windows.
Sam0209
One day Steve (68 kg) rolls into class on a skateboard. When he rolls in on the skateboard, he and the skateboard move at 2 m/s toward the windows in the room. Steve then jumps off the skateboard and he ends up moving at 1.0 m/s toward the windows of room. How fast and in what direction is the 1 kg skateboard now moving? Be sure to include a momentum bar chart for the situation and a picture with a reference frame.

p=m*v

I tried to draw two different bar charts, one with Steve as the system and one with the skateboard as the system but was unsure of what to do after that.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try using conservation of momentum with the ground as a reference frame, and please show your solution attempt in accord with PF rules. Thanks.

Sam0209 said:
One day Steve (68 kg) rolls into class on a skateboard. When he rolls in on the skateboard, he and the skateboard move at 2 m/s toward the windows in the room. Steve then jumps off the skateboard and he ends up moving at 1.0 m/s toward the windows of room. How fast and in what direction is the 1 kg skateboard now moving? Be sure to include a momentum bar chart for the situation and a picture with a reference frame.

p=m*v

I tried to draw two different bar charts, one with Steve as the system and one with the skateboard as the system but was unsure of what to do after that.

What on Earth is a "bar chart"? The only bar charts I have ever seen have been for visual presentation of statistical data, and I doubt that is what you want to use in this problem.

I wondered if they mean a stacked bar chart? Two bars (momentum before and after) each bar split to show the momentum of the man and board? Conservation of momentum means both bars are same height. Something like that?

Ok so I wasn't quite right...

It's called 'How to make simple momentum topics complex so you can fail my class"

1. What is momentum in physics?

Momentum is a fundamental concept in physics that describes the quantity of motion an object possesses. It is calculated as the product of an object's mass and velocity, and is a vector quantity with both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum conserved?

According to the law of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning it is conserved. This means that the total momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total momentum after the collision or interaction, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

3. What is a bar chart representation?

A bar chart representation is a graphical way of displaying data using vertical or horizontal bars to represent different categories or groups. The length or height of each bar is proportional to the value it represents, making it easy to compare data between different categories.

4. How can bar charts be used to represent momentum?

Bar charts can be used to represent momentum by plotting the momentum values of different objects or categories on a graph. The length of each bar would represent the magnitude of momentum, while the direction of the bar would indicate the direction of the momentum vector.

5. What are some common units used to measure momentum?

Momentum can be measured in various units, depending on the system of measurement being used. In the metric system, the most common unit for momentum is kilogram-meters per second (kg*m/s). In the imperial system, the unit for momentum is pound-feet per second (lb*ft/s).