Conservation of momentum problem and kinematics ?

In summary, the conversation is about a conservation of momentum problem involving an 80 kg astronaut stranded 10 m from his spaceship in free space. The astronaut throws a 2.0 kg piece of equipment with a speed of 0.5 m/s in order to get back to the ship. The solution involves treating the problem as a gun and bullet scenario and finding the time it takes for the astronaut to reach the ship. However, there is a discrepancy between the calculated time and the answer in the book.
mychellbella
Conservation of momentum problem and kinematics!?

Hi, I've been working on this problem for the last three hours, I hope someone can help. In fact, the solution I keep getting is double the correct answer (the answers are in the back of the book, but not the how).
An 80 kg astronaut is stranded 10 m from his spaceship in free space. In order to get back to his ship, he throws a 2.0 kg piece of equipment w/ a speed of 0.5 m/s directly away from the ship. How long will it take for him to reach the ship?

man object
m1=80kg m2= 2.0kg
vo1=0 vo2= 0
vf1= ? vf2= .5m/s

so, i started by treating this like a gun and bullet problem since he will be recoiling.

Pf(momentum final) = Po (momentum orignal) = 0

Pf=m1vf1+ m2vf2
0= m1vf1 +m2vf2
vf1= (-m2/m1)*vf2
vf1=(-2.0kg/80kg)*.5m/s
vf1= .0125 m/s

okay, now i find the acceleration, so i can then use a kinematic equation to find the time. I only use the info for the man and vo is .0125 m/s and vf=0. x=10m.

a=(vf^2-vo^2)/2x
a=(0-.0125m/s^2)/2(10m)
a=-7.81*10^-6 m/s^2

t=(vf-vo)/a
t=(0-.0125m/s)/-7.81*10^6 m/s^2
t =1600 seconds

The problem, is that the book is saying the anwer is 800 seconds. What am I doing wrong! Please help! thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi mychellbella, welcome to PF.
No external force is acting on the astronaut in the direction of his motion. So after throwing the packet, he will move with the uniform velocity.

Hi there! It looks like you've done a great job setting up the problem and using the appropriate equations. However, there seems to be a small error in your calculations. When you calculated the acceleration, you used a negative sign in front of the velocity term (vf^2-vo^2)/2x. This is because the man is moving in the opposite direction of the object he threw, so his velocity is negative. However, when you calculated the time, you used a positive sign in front of the velocity term (vf-vo)/a. This should also be negative, as the man is moving in the opposite direction of the object. This small error results in your final answer being twice the correct value. If you make this correction, you should get the correct answer of 800 seconds. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the conservation of momentum problem?

The conservation of momentum problem refers to the principle that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on the system. This means that the initial momentum of the system must equal the final momentum, and any changes in momentum within the system must be balanced by an equal and opposite change in momentum somewhere else within the system.

2. How is momentum conserved in collisions?

In collisions, momentum is conserved through the transfer of momentum between objects involved in the collision. For example, in an elastic collision between two objects, the total momentum of the two objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum of the two objects after the collision. This means that the sum of the initial momenta of the objects must be equal to the sum of the final momenta.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

Elastic collisions are those in which the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved, while inelastic collisions are those in which some of the kinetic energy is lost due to the objects sticking together or deforming. In elastic collisions, the objects bounce off each other, while in inelastic collisions, the objects may stick together and move as one. However, in both types of collisions, momentum is conserved.

4. How is kinematics related to conservation of momentum?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause the motion. In the context of conservation of momentum, kinematics is used to analyze the motion of objects involved in collisions or other interactions. By applying principles of kinematics, such as the equations for velocity and acceleration, we can determine the changes in momentum that occur in a system and verify that momentum is conserved.

5. Can the conservation of momentum be violated?

In the absence of external forces, the conservation of momentum cannot be violated. However, if external forces are present, such as friction or air resistance, then momentum may not be conserved. In such cases, the change in momentum within the system will be equal to the net external force acting on the system. Therefore, the conservation of momentum holds true as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.