Conservation of Momentum Question

In summary, the conversation is about a physics class learning about momentum and a student asking for help with a question about an object exploding into three pieces and determining the momentum of the third piece based on the momenta of the first two pieces. The student provides their attempts at solutions, but another person requests diagrams to verify the accuracy. The student also asks if there is a way to solve the question visually.
NoobeAtPhysics

Homework Statement

We are learning momentum in physics class and I am having problems with this question.

25umqlf.png

i) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by F and A. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

ii) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by B and C. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

iii) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by D and E. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

iv) An object moving with momentum E explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by V and D. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

v) An object moving with momentum G explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by B and D. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?

Homework Equations

p=m*v

The Attempt at a Solution

i) C

ii) G

iii) A

iv) Hard one, R., I believe

v) C, I believe

/thank you/
noobe

Physics news on Phys.org
NoobeAtPhysics said:
i) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by F and A. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?
We need this and the other 3 parts to each be accompanied by a scaled diagram so we can check whether you are doing it correctly.

I agree with C here.

ii) An object at rest explodes into three pieces. Immediately after the explosion, two pieces have momenta given by B and C. Which vector describes the momentum of the third piece?
I don't agree with your answer.

Diagrams please.

Likes 1 person
Hmm, do I have to measure each angle then use the formula?

Is there a way to look at it visually?

Graphically. You trace the lines, so you get length and angle correctly, and add vectors graphically on paper.

As a scientist, my response would be to make sure you understand the concept of conservation of momentum before attempting to answer these questions. Conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a system remains constant before and after an interaction or event. This means that the total momentum of the three pieces after the explosion must be equal to the momentum of the original object before the explosion.

For i) and ii), the third piece has a momentum equal in magnitude but opposite in direction to the total momentum of the other two pieces. So for i), the third piece would have a momentum of -F-A and for ii), the third piece would have a momentum of -B-C.

For iii), the total momentum after the explosion must be equal to the momentum of the original object, so the third piece would have a momentum of -D-E.

For iv), since the original object was already moving with momentum E, the third piece would have a momentum of -V-D-E.

For v), the third piece would have a momentum of -B-D-G.

Remember, momentum is a vector quantity, so direction matters when calculating the total momentum of a system. I would also recommend practicing more problems and seeking help from your teacher or peers if you are still having trouble. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Conservation of Momentum Question

1) What is the principle of conservation of momentum?

The principle of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant over time, regardless of any internal or external forces acting on the system.

2) How is momentum conserved in a closed system?

In a closed system, the total momentum before an interaction is equal to the total momentum after the interaction. This means that the sum of the momenta of all objects involved in the system remains the same.

3) Does the conservation of momentum apply to both linear and angular momentum?

Yes, the principle of conservation of momentum applies to both linear and angular momentum. In a closed system, both linear and angular momenta will remain constant over time.

4) What are some real-life examples of the conservation of momentum?

Some examples of the conservation of momentum in everyday life include collisions between objects, such as billiard balls, and the recoil of a gun after firing a bullet.

5) How does the conservation of momentum relate to Newton's Third Law of Motion?

The conservation of momentum is closely related to Newton's Third Law of Motion, which states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. In other words, when objects interact, the forces they exert on each other are equal and opposite, resulting in the conservation of momentum.