Conservation of the string length in pulleys

In summary, The total length of string is given by L=2x+y+z and the distance l2 is given by l2=z+y, while the distance l1 is l1=x+y+w. By differentiating and setting the resulting equation equal to zero, it can be shown that the sum of 2 times the l1 length and the l2 length is constant. This constant value is found by calculating the rate of change of the length of the string, which is equal to the sum of 2 times the rate of change of the distance between the centers of the pulleys and the rate of change of the distance between mass 2 and the center of pulley 2.
Bunny-chan

Homework Statement

84bf5fb6de3049c098b9b20e511f9d7f.png

This is a common massless string and pulleys problem. I'd just like to understand why, according to the solution, [itex]l_2 + 2l_1 =[/itex] constant. It doesn't seem to me that two times the [itex]l_1[/itex] length is equivalent to [itex]l_2[/itex]. Can somebody explain?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-27_1-54-5.png
    upload_2017-5-27_1-54-5.png
    6 KB · Views: 855
Physics news on Phys.org
Bunny-chan said:
doesn't seem to me that two times the ##l_1## length is equivalent to ##l_2##
Indeed not, but that would lead to ##2l_1-l_2## is constant, which is not what is claimed.
Besides, you need to think about changes in the lengths, not the absolute lengths. If l1 increases by x, what happens to l2?

haruspex said:
Indeed not, but that would lead to ##2l_1-l_2## is constant, which is not what is claimed.
Besides, you need to think about changes in the lengths, not the absolute lengths. If l1 increases by x, what happens to l2?
Hm. Will it decrease? Because if [itex]m_1[/itex] goes down, it means [itex]m_2[/itex] has to go up, right?

Let x be the distance in elevation between the center of pulley 1 and the center of pulley 2, y be the distance between the elevation of the center of pulley 2 and the ceiling, z be the distance in elevation between mass 2 and the center of pulley 2, and w be the distance in elevation between mass 1 and the center of pulley 1. So the total length of string is L=2x+y+z. The distance l2 is given by ##l_2=z+y## and the distance l1 is ##l_1=x+y+w##. So, $$2l_1+l_2=(2x+z)+3y+2w=L+3y+2w$$ But, since L, y, and w are constant, ##2l_1+l_2## must be constant.

Chestermiller said:
So, $$2l_1+l_2=(2x+z)+3y+2w=L+3y+2w$$ But, since L, y, and w are constant, ##2l_1+l_2## must be constant.
I was able to understand everything before this point. Why do you take [itex]2l_1[/itex]?

Bunny-chan said:
I was able to understand everything before this point. Why do you take [itex]2l_1[/itex]?
I do ##2l_1## because I need 2x.

Incidentally, I would never have done this problem in terms of l1 and l2. I would have immediately written down the total length as ##L=2x+y+z##, and then differentiated to get $$\frac{dL}{dt}=0=2\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{dz}{dt}$$ If m1 moves down at the rate of dx/dt, m2 moves up at the rate of -dz/dt.

Chestermiller said:
I do ##2l_1## because I need 2x.

Incidentally, I would never have done this problem in terms of l1 and l2. I would have immediately written down the total length as ##L=2x+y+z##, and then differentiated to get $$\frac{dL}{dt}=0=2\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{dz}{dt}$$ If m1 moves down at the rate of dx/dt, m2 moves up at the rate of -dz/dt.
OK. I get it now, but I don't quite understand the differentiation.

Bunny-chan said:
OK. I get it now, but I don't quite understand the differentiation.
What part don't you understand?

Chestermiller said:
What part don't you understand?
Where did the [itex]y[/itex] term go to?

Bunny-chan said:
Where did the [itex]y[/itex] term go to?
What is the derivative of y with respect to time?

Chestermiller said:
What is the derivative of y with respect to time?
[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]? But since it is constant, it equals 0? Is that so?

Bunny-chan said:
[itex]\frac{dy}{dt}[/itex]? But since it is constant, it equals 0? Is that so?
Sure

Chestermiller said:
Sure
But isn't [itex]x[/itex] also constant? I mean, the distance in elevation between the center of pulley 1 and the center of pulley 2 will always be the same, won't it?

Bunny-chan said:
But isn't [itex]x[/itex] also constant? I mean, the distance in elevation between the center of pulley 1 and the center of pulley 2 will always be the same, won't it?
No, why?

Bunny-chan said:
No

Chestermiller said:
No
Nevermind. I can see that now. Thank you!

Related to Conservation of the string length in pulleys

Q1: What is the conservation of string length in pulleys?

The conservation of string length in pulleys refers to the principle that the length of string passing through a series of pulleys remains constant. This means that the distance traveled by the string on one side of the pulley must be equal to the distance traveled by the string on the other side.

Q2: Why is the conservation of string length important in pulley systems?

The conservation of string length is important in pulley systems because it ensures that the input and output forces are equal. This allows for the efficient transfer of force and motion between the pulleys, making the system more effective.

Q3: How does the number of pulleys affect the conservation of string length?

The number of pulleys in a system does not affect the conservation of string length. As long as the string is continuous and passes through all the pulleys, the length of the string will remain constant.

Q4: Can the conservation of string length be violated in pulley systems?

No, the conservation of string length cannot be violated in pulley systems. This is a fundamental principle of pulley mechanics and is always true as long as the string remains unbroken and is not stretched beyond its elastic limit.

Q5: How does friction impact the conservation of string length in pulleys?

Friction can slightly affect the conservation of string length in pulleys by causing the string to stretch or slip slightly. However, as long as the friction is minimal, the conservation of string length will still be maintained.