Conservation principles and symmetry; Lagrangian and general momenta problem

In summary, the particle's Lagrangian is correctly derived as L=.5*(dz/dt)^2+e*dz/dt*(-\mu0*I/(2*pi))*ln r, and the corresponding conserved momenta are p_theta = 0 and p_z = m*dz/dt + e*(-\mu0*I/(2*pi))*ln r. Theta and z are also identified as cyclic coordinates.
pentazoid

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m and charge e moves in the magnetic field produced by a current I flowing in an infinite straight wire that lies along the z-axis. The vector potential induced magnetic field is given by

A_r=A_theta=0, A_z=([tex]\mu[/tex]0*I/2*pi)*ln r, where r , theta, and z are sylindrical coordinates. Find the Lagrangian of the particle. Show that theta and z are cyclic coordinates and find the corresponding conserved momenta

Homework Equations

U=e*phi(r)-e*dr/dt*A(r)

L=1/2*m*dr/dt*dr/dt-e*phi(r)+e*dr/dt*A(r)

d/dt*(dT/(dq/dt))-dT/dq=d/dt(dV/(dq/dt))-dV/dq

pj=dL/(dq/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

U=e*phi(r)-e*dr/dt*A(r)

L=.5*(dz/dt)^2+e*dz/dt*(-[tex]\mu[/tex]0*I/(2*pi))*ln r

Did I derived the Lagrangian correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org

I can confirm that your derivation of the Lagrangian is correct. The Lagrangian is a function that describes the dynamics of a system and is defined as the difference between the kinetic energy and the potential energy. In this case, the kinetic energy term is .5*(dz/dt)^2 and the potential energy term is e*dz/dt*(-\mu0*I/(2*pi))*ln r. This matches with the equations you have provided.

Furthermore, you correctly identified that theta and z are cyclic coordinates, which means their corresponding momenta are conserved quantities. This is because the Lagrangian does not depend on these coordinates, so their conjugate momenta, p_theta and p_z, are constants. Using the formula pj=dL/(dq/dt), we can find the corresponding conserved momenta as:

p_theta = 0

p_z = m*dz/dt + e*(-\mu0*I/(2*pi))*ln r

Overall, your solution is correct and well-explained. Great job!

Related to Conservation principles and symmetry; Lagrangian and general momenta problem

1. What are conservation principles and symmetry in physics?

Conservation principles refer to the fundamental laws of physics that state certain quantities, such as energy, momentum, and angular momentum, remain constant in a closed system. Symmetry, on the other hand, refers to the invariance of physical laws under certain transformations, such as rotations or translations.

2. What is the importance of conservation principles and symmetry in physics?

Conservation principles and symmetry are essential in understanding the behavior of physical systems and predicting their outcomes. They allow us to make accurate measurements and calculations, and they provide a framework for the development of new theories and models.

3. What is the Lagrangian in physics?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a physical system in terms of its position, velocity, and time. It is a central concept in classical mechanics and is used to derive the equations of motion for a given system.

4. How does the Lagrangian relate to the principle of least action?

The principle of least action states that the path a system takes between two points is the one that minimizes the action, which is the integral of the Lagrangian over time. This principle is a powerful tool for finding the equations of motion for a system and is closely related to the concept of energy conservation.

5. What is the general momenta problem in physics?

The general momenta problem involves finding the equations of motion for a system when there are multiple interacting particles with different masses and velocities. This problem is typically solved using the Lagrangian and the principle of least action, and it can be applied to a wide range of physical systems, from simple pendulums to complex celestial bodies.