Cylindrical Coordinates: Line Integral Of Electrostatic Field

In summary, the electrostatic field in a particular region is expressed in cylindrical coordinates as ## \mathbf{E} = \frac{\sin{\theta}}{r^{2}} \mathbf{e}_{r} - \frac{\cos{\theta}}{r^{2}} \mathbf{e}_{\theta} ## where ##\mathbf{e}_{r}##, ##\mathbf{e}_{\theta}## and ##\mathbf{e}_{z}## are unit vectors in the directions of ## r##, ##\theta##, and ##z## respectively. The potential difference ## \Delta V = V_{2} - V_{1}##, where ##V_{1
QuantumPhoton1

Homework Statement

An electrostatic field ## \mathbf{E}## in a particular region is expressed in cylindrical coordinates ## ( r, \theta, z)## as

$$ \mathbf{E} = \frac{\sin{\theta}}{r^{2}} \mathbf{e}_{r} - \frac{\cos{\theta}}{r^{2}} \mathbf{e}_{\theta} $$

Where ##\mathbf{e}_{r}##, ##\mathbf{e}_{\theta}## and ##\mathbf{e}_{z}## are the unit vectors in the directions of ## r## , ##\theta## and ##z## respectively.

Derive an expression for the potential difference ## \Delta V = V_{2} - V_{1}##, where ##V_{1}## is the potential at position vector ## \mathbf{r}_{1}## with coordinates ##(2R,0,Z)## and ##V_{2}## is the potential at position vector ## \mathbf{r}_{2}## with coordinates ##(4R,\frac{\pi}{2},Z)##.

Homework Equations

$$ \Delta V = V(\mathbf{r}_{2}) - V(\mathbf{r}_{1}) = - \int_{\mathbf{r}_{1}}^{\mathbf{r}_{2}} \mathbf{E} \cdot d \mathbf{l} $$
$$ \mathbf{E} = - \mathrm{grad} \, V $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I have gone through the question in a way that was hinted to me with the following logic. Since

## \mathrm{curl} \, \mathbf{E} = \mathbf{0} ##

The electrostatic field is conservative and therefore any line integral from two positions, regardless of the path taken, is path independent. Therefore a suitable path could be suggested to be to traverse a path, from ##\mathbf{r}_{1}## in the radial ## \mathbf{e}_{r}## direction and then, from this new position, traverse the polar ## \mathbf{e}_{\theta}## direction to ##\mathbf{r}_{2}##.

This approach I understand but I was wondering if there is another more efficient approach involving a direct linear path for a line integral from ##\mathbf{r}_{1}## to ##\mathbf{r}_{2}##. This is where my algebra has taken me.

The aim is to get to an expression, involving the parameter ##t##, where

$$
\begin{align}
\Delta V &= - \int_{\mathbf{r}_{1}}^{\mathbf{r}_{2}} \mathbf{E} \cdot d \mathbf{l} \\
&= - \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} \mathbf{E} \cdot \frac{d \mathbf{l}}{dt} ~ dt
\end{align}
$$

Let the path ## \mathbf{l} ## be a parametric path connecting ##\mathbf{r}_{1}## to ##\mathbf{r}_{2}## with the following substitutions and conditions.

$$ r = 2R(t+1) ~~~~~~~~~ \theta = \frac{\pi}{2} t ~~~~~~~~~ z= z ~~~~~~~~~ 0 \leq t \leq 1$$

Hence ## \mathbf{l} ## can be expressed in these parameters as

$$ \mathbf{l} = 2R(t+1) \mathbf{e}_{r} + \frac{\pi t}{2} \mathbf{e}_{\theta} + Z \mathbf{e}_{z}~~~~~~~~~ 0 \leq t \leq 1$$

This path represents the line integral with ##\mathbf{r}_{1}## and ##\mathbf{r}_{2}## at the end points.

Since ## \mathbf{l} ## is path in cylindrical coordinates, consider a line element ## d \mathbf{l} ## which has the form

$$
\begin{align}
d \mathbf{l} &= dr ~ \mathbf{e}_{r} + r ~ d \theta ~ \mathbf{e}_{\theta} + dz ~ \mathbf{e}_{z} \nonumber \\
\implies \frac{d \mathbf{l}}{dt} &= \frac{dr}{dt} ~ \mathbf{e}_{r} + r ~ \frac{d \theta}{dt} ~ \mathbf{e}_{\theta} + \frac{dz}{dt} ~ \mathbf{e}_{z} \nonumber \\
&= 2R \mathbf{e}_{r} + 2R(t+1) \frac{\pi}{2} \mathbf{e}_{\theta} + 0 \mathbf{e}_{z} \nonumber \\
&= 2R \mathbf{e}_{r} + \pi R(t+1)\mathbf{e}_{\theta}
\end{align}
$$

Also, Expressing the electrostatic field ## \mathbf{E} ## with the above parameters becomes

$$
\begin{align}
\mathbf{E} &= \frac{\sin{\theta}}{r^{2}} \mathbf{e}_{r} - \frac{\cos{\theta}}{r^{2}} \mathbf{e}_{\theta} \nonumber \\
&= \frac{\sin{ \left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right ) }}{ \left ( 2R(t+1) \right ) ^{2}} \mathbf{e}_{r} - \frac{\cos{\left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right )}}{\left ( 2R(t+1) \right ) ^{2}} \mathbf{e}_{\theta} \nonumber \\
&= \frac{\sin{ \left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right ) }}{ 4 R^{2} (t+1)^{2}} \mathbf{e}_{r} - \frac{\cos{\left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right )}}{4 R^{2} (t+1)^{2} } \mathbf{e}_{\theta} \nonumber \\
\end{align}
$$

Hence, let the line integral be defined as

$$
\begin{align}
\Delta V &= - \int_{\mathbf{r}_{1}}^{\mathbf{r}_{2}} \mathbf{E} \cdot d \mathbf{l} \\
&= - \int_{t_{1}}^{t_{2}} \mathbf{E} \cdot \frac{d \mathbf{l}}{dt} ~ dt \nonumber \\
&= - \int_{0}^{1} \begin{bmatrix}
\frac{\sin{ \left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right ) }}{ 4 R^{2} (t+1)^{2}} \\
- \frac{\cos{\left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right )}}{4 R^{2} (t+1)^{2} } \\
\end{bmatrix}
\cdot
\begin{bmatrix}
2R \\ \pi R(t+1) \\ 0
\end{bmatrix}
~ dt \nonumber \\
&= - \int_{0}^{1} \frac{2R\sin{ \left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right ) }}{ 4 R^{2} (t+1)^{2}} - \frac{\pi R(t+1)\cos{\left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right )}}{4 R^{2} (t+1)^{2} } ~ dt \nonumber\\
&= - \int_{0}^{1} \frac{\sin{ \left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right ) }}{ 2 R (t+1)^{2}} - \frac{\pi \cos{\left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right )}}{4 R (t+1) } ~ dt \nonumber\\
&= - \frac{1}{2R} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{\sin{ \left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right ) }}{ (t+1)^{2}} - \frac{\pi \cos{\left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right )}}{2 (t+1) } ~ dt \nonumber\\
&= \frac{1}{2R} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{\pi \cos{\left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right )}}{2 (t+1) } ~ dt - \frac{1}{2R} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{\sin{ \left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right ) }}{ (t+1)^{2}} ~ dt \nonumber\\
&= \frac{\pi}{4R} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{ \cos{\left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right )}}{ (t+1) } ~ dt - \frac{1}{2R} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{\sin{ \left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right ) }}{ (t+1)^{2}} ~ dt \nonumber\\
\end{align}
$$

This is where I think that I've gone wrong somewhere as I can see no obvious substitution to change either of these integrals into a standard form to be integrated.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I may be missing something, but why are you trying to work with a specific path? Isn't the integral ##\int^{\mathbf{r}_2}_{\mathbf{r}_1} \mathbf{E}.d\mathbf{l}## path-independent if ##\mathbf{\nabla}\times\mathbf{E}=\mathbf{0}##

So ##\mathbf{E}=-\mathbf{\nabla}V=-\mathbf{\nabla}\left(\frac{\sin\theta}{r}\right)=\frac{\sin\theta}{r^2}\mathbf{e}_r-\frac{1}{r}\cdot\frac{\cos\theta}{r}\mathbf{e}_\theta##

##\int^{\mathbf{r}_2}_{\mathbf{r}_1} \mathbf{E}.d\mathbf{l}=-V\left(\mathbf{r_2}\right)+V\left(\mathbf{r_1}\right)##

etc...

QuantumPhoton1 said:
$$
\begin{align}
\Delta V &= - \int_{\mathbf{r}_{1}}^{\mathbf{r}_{2}} \mathbf{E} \cdot d \mathbf{l} \nonumber\\
... \nonumber\\
&= \frac{\pi}{4R} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{ \cos{\left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right )}}{ (t+1) } ~ dt - \frac{1}{2R} \int_{0}^{1} \frac{\sin{ \left ( \frac{\pi t }{2} \right ) }}{ (t+1)^{2}} ~ dt \nonumber\\
\end{align}
$$

This is where I think that I've gone wrong somewhere as I can see no obvious substitution to change either of these integrals into a standard form to be integrated.
I think your final expression is correct. But the integrals are difficult. Mathematica did not seem to be able to evaluate them in terms of elementary functions. However, numerical integration does give the correct result.

The path you chose is not a straight line. It's an arc of an Archimedean spiral. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedean_spiral

You can find the expression for the straight path in polar coordinates. It's then still somewhat messy to set up the integration in polar coordinates. But the integrals turn out to be elementary.

Of course, @Cryo 's method is the quickest route to the answer. But, maybe you are just practicing doing line integrals in polar coordinates.

By the way, welcome to PF!

QuantumPhoton1 said:
$$-\frac{1}{2R} \int_0^1 \left[ \frac{\sin \frac{\pi t }{2}}{(t+1)^2} - \frac{\frac{\pi}{2} \cos \frac{\pi t}{2}}{(t+1)}\right]\,dt $$
Note that the integrand is the derivative of ##\left(-\frac 1{t+1} \sin \frac{\pi t}{2}\right)##.

Likes TSny
vela said:
Note that the integrand is the derivative of ##\left(-\frac 1{t+1} \sin \frac{\pi t}{2}\right)##.
Nice. I was too dense to consider combining the two separate integrands.

I guess no matter what path you choose, you should always be able to express the overall integrand as the differential of V.

1. What are cylindrical coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are a type of coordinate system used in mathematics and physics to describe the position of a point in three-dimensional space. They consist of a radial distance, an angle, and a height or depth.

2. How are cylindrical coordinates related to Cartesian coordinates?

Cylindrical coordinates are related to Cartesian coordinates through a set of equations that convert between the two systems. In cylindrical coordinates, the x and y coordinates are replaced by a radial distance (ρ) and an angle (θ), while the z coordinate remains the same.

3. What is a line integral?

A line integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the total value of a function along a curve or line. In the context of electrostatics, it is used to calculate the work done by an electric field along a specific path.

4. How is the line integral of an electrostatic field calculated in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, the line integral of an electrostatic field is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the electric field by the differential length along the curve and integrating over the entire path. This can be expressed as: ∫C E·dl = ∫ab E(ρ, θ, z) · dl, where E is the electric field and dl is the differential length along the curve.

5. What is the significance of the line integral of an electrostatic field in physics?

The line integral of an electrostatic field has several important applications in physics, including calculating the work done by an electric field, determining the potential difference between two points, and finding the electric flux through a closed surface. It is also used in the study of electromagnetism and the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.