Exact differential and work done

In summary: Essentially, it means that the work done by the force is path-independent (as shown in the example with gravity). This is a property of conservative forces, so if the work is an exact differential, the force is conservative.
putongren
TL;DR Summary
The work done is independent of path if the infinitesimal work ๐นโƒ— โ‹…๐‘‘๐‘Ÿโƒ—
is an exact differential.
I was researching about conservative and non-conservative forces, and there is some information in a website that sates that the work done is independent of path if the infinitesimal work ๐นโƒ— โ‹…๐‘‘๐‘Ÿโƒ— is an exact differential. It further states that in 2 dimensions the condition for ๐นโƒ— โ‹…๐‘‘๐‘Ÿโƒ— = Fxdx + Fydy to be an exact differential is:

๐‘‘๐น๐‘ฅ/๐‘‘๐‘ฆ=๐‘‘๐น๐‘ฆ/๐‘‘๐‘ฅ.

My question is this: why is a force conservative if the work is an exact differential? How can we deduce from the definition of a conservative force that this force is conservative if the work done to it is an exact differential?

Physics news on Phys.org
putongren said:
My question is this: why is a force conservative if the work is an exact differential?
Because if you integrate an exact differential, the result is the difference of some function evaluated at the two limits. This is what "work is independent of the path" means.

Here is an example. Suppose you use an eraser to erase a chalkboard. To do that you push the eraser against the board and, starting at the bottom B, you go to the middle M, then to the top T and then back to M. Let ##h=~##the height of the board.

The work done by the force of gravity ##mg## is
From B to M: ##~W_{BM}=-mg*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
From M to T: ##~W_{MT}=-mg*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
From T to back to M: ##~W_{TM}=+mg*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
Note that ##W_{BM}+W_{MT}+W_{TM}=W_{BM}.## This says that the total work is independent of the path because it is the same when one stops at M or goes past M to T and then back to M. We conclude that the force of gravity is conservative.

The work done by the force of friction ##f## is
From B to M: ##~W_{BM}=-f*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
From M to T: ##~W_{MT}=-f*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
From T to back to M: ##~W_{TM}=-f*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
Note that ##W_{BM}+W_{MT}+W_{TM}=3W_{BM}.## This says that the total work is not independent of the path because it is not the same when one stops at M or goes past M to T and then back to M. We conclude that the force of gravity friction is not conservative.

Last edited:
kuruman said:
The work done by the force of friction ##f## is
From B to M: ##~W_{BM}=-f*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
From M to T: ##~W_{MT}=-f*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
From T to back to M: ##~W_{TM}=-f*\dfrac{h}{2}.##
Note that ##W_{BM}+W_{MT}+W_{TM}=3W_{BM}.## This says that the total work is not independent of the path because it is not the same when one stops at M or goes past M to T and then back to M. We conclude that the force of *gravity* is not conservative.

I believe you meant friction. Besides that, great explanation.

Likes berkeman and kuruman
Juanda said:
I believe you meant friction. Besides that, great explanation.
Good catch, thanks. I cut and pasted from above without changing the force. I edited to fix the typo.

Likes berkeman and Juanda
Sorry, I assumed you already knew what an exact differential is.

1. What is an exact differential?

An exact differential is a mathematical concept used in thermodynamics to describe the relationship between changes in a system's state variables (such as temperature, pressure, and volume). It is a type of differential that is path-independent, meaning the value of the differential is the same regardless of the path taken to get from one state to another.

2. How is an exact differential different from an inexact differential?

An inexact differential is a type of differential that is path-dependent, meaning the value of the differential can vary depending on the path taken. In contrast, an exact differential is path-independent and is used to describe reversible processes in thermodynamics.

3. What is the relationship between exact differentials and work done?

In thermodynamics, work done is defined as the product of a system's force and the distance over which the force acts. An exact differential is used to describe reversible processes, which are those that can be reversed without any loss of energy. In these processes, the work done can be calculated using the exact differential of the system's state variables.

4. How is work done calculated using an exact differential?

The work done in a reversible process can be calculated by integrating the exact differential of the system's state variables. This can be done using the fundamental equation of thermodynamics, which relates the system's internal energy, temperature, and entropy.

5. Can an exact differential be measured in a real-world system?

No, an exact differential is a mathematical concept and cannot be measured directly in a real-world system. However, it is a useful tool for understanding and analyzing thermodynamic processes and can be used to make predictions about the behavior of a system.