Conserved Quantities in GR: Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of constants of motion in spherical geometry and the confusion surrounding the terms ##p_0## and ##p_\phi##. These constants are related to the geodesic motion of a particle and are defined as quantities that do not change. The energy of a particle measured by an observer is dependent on the 4-momentum of the particle and the 4-velocity of the observer, but the specific value of ##p_0## may not be the same as the energy measured by a co-located observer. The concept is further clarified by asking for a specific reference and discussing the mathematical expression for ##p_0## and its meaning.
Silviu
Hello! I am reading about spherical geometry and for a static system and based on the metric, ##p_0## and ##p_\phi## are constant of motion. I am not sure I understand in which sense are they constant? The energy of a particle measured by an observer depends on the metric (so on its position) in space. So ##p_0## is not the energy of the particle (can't even be measured I think). Can someone explain this to me a bit more? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:
I am reading about spherical geometry

From what source? Please give a specific reference.

Silviu said:
based on the metric, ##p_0## and ##p_\phi## are constant of motion

They are constants of geodesic motion.

Silviu said:
I am not sure I understand in which sense are they constant?

"Constant" means "does not change".

Silviu said:
The energy of a particle measured by an observer depends on the metric (so on its position) in space

No, it doesn't. It depends on the 4-momentum of the particle and the 4-velocity of the observer.

Silviu said:
So ##p_0## is not the energy of the particle

Not the energy measured by an observer that is (momentarily) co-located with the particle, no--at least, assuming the observer and the particle are not at infinity.

Silviu said:
(can't even be measured I think)

Yes, it can, but it's not as straightforward as an observer co-located just measuring the particle's energy.

Silviu said:
Can someone explain this to me a bit more?

It would help greatly if you would give a specific reference and show some math. You should particularly focus on the actual mathematical expression for ##p_0##. What quantities occur in it? What do those quantities mean?

What are conserved quantities in General Relativity?

Conserved quantities in General Relativity refer to physical quantities that remain constant throughout the evolution of a system. These quantities are essential in understanding the behavior of objects in the universe.

What are some examples of conserved quantities in General Relativity?

Some examples of conserved quantities in General Relativity include energy, linear momentum, angular momentum, and electric charge. These quantities are conserved due to the symmetries of space and time.

What is the significance of conserved quantities in General Relativity?

Conserved quantities in General Relativity play a crucial role in understanding the laws of physics and predicting the behavior of objects in the universe. They also help us understand the fundamental symmetries of space and time.

How are conserved quantities related to the equations of General Relativity?

Conserved quantities are related to the equations of General Relativity through the Noether's theorem, which states that for every continuous symmetry of the equations, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity.

Can conserved quantities change in General Relativity?

Conserved quantities cannot change in General Relativity, as they are inherent properties of a system and are preserved throughout its evolution. However, in some cases, they may appear to change due to the presence of external forces or interactions with other systems.