Considering a Career Change to CS: How Can I Know if Its Right for Me?

• Programs
  • Thread starter blaughli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cs Major
In summary, computer science is the study of computers and computational systems, where computer scientists use algorithms and programming languages to design, analyze, and implement software and hardware systems. To determine if a career in computer science is right for you, consider your interests, skills, and goals. Most jobs in this field require at least a bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field, with a strong foundation in computer science principles and programming languages. Some potential career paths in computer science include software development, web development, data science, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and computer systems analysis. There are also various resources available to explore a career in computer science, such as career fairs, professional organizations, internships, and online resources like job boards and coding
blaughli
I am finding that I like CS, even though my first exposure to it was only one year ago at the age of 26 in a C++ intro class. I've managed to land myself a part-time job with a start-up; I am doing research for the company, working on scripts in Cygwin and Groovy, both of which were totally new to me. I've been using many sources for help, and I get a LOT of help from stack overflow (re: cut and paste, then try to reverse-engineer the copied code to deepen my understanding - I admit that I often use code I don't fully understand, and this makes me wonder if I'd be any good at real development past the level of low responsibility that I have now). I enjoy my job for the most part (it is usually fun, and is only a drag when I feel like I am totally under-qualified for my tasks, am doing repetitive tasks, or when I am dreaming about surfing or nature and I'm stuck indoors).

I came back to school (City College) to become an engineer (Electrical, Civil, Mechanical, Chemical - I am the most indecisive person you'll meet), but now I find myself wondering if I should just dive into CS and see where it takes me. I AM scared of always being at a desk, but I also realize that many engineering jobs are like this AND at my current job there is some flexibility with my hours (re: I can show up or leave whenever as long as I put in ~8 hours - this is a surfer's dream schedule). I worry sometimes that I'm not meant for software development because I am NOT a person who has been doing it for fun from an early age. I DO, however, love science and math, and I see many parallels between my math classes and programming (re: transpose, arrays/matrices, etc). This makes me wonder if I could make up for my lack of experience with a deeper understanding than some other programmers might have about the actual way in which software and computers work.

I took two weeks of a SCHEME class last summer, and was really liking it, but I gave it up because I had to rebuild my truck's engine and also had other things to do. I mention this because it is another positive experience I've had with a subject that, if you asked me two years ago, I'd say was not for people who love the outdoors and who want to make a real difference in the world (i.e. the last thing I want to get into)

Sorry for the long post; I need to apply for transfer in the next two weeks and I want to bounce this off some people with more wisdom than myself:) I worry about: Outsourcing, becoming outdated, not getting hired/ having a job past the age of 50, and, worst of all, realizing 5-10 years down the road that I am tired of programming and that I want to build things but I blew my shot at becoming a more hands-on engineer. If anyone cares to share thoughts or opinions, I would greatly appreciate your words. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

I am glad to hear that you have found an interest in computer science and are enjoying your part-time job at a start-up. It sounds like you have a natural curiosity and willingness to learn, which are important qualities for a scientist or engineer. You are also taking advantage of available resources, such as Stack Overflow, to further your understanding and skills in coding.

I understand your concerns about not having started programming at an early age, but I assure you that it is never too late to dive into a new field. Many successful programmers and scientists have come from various backgrounds and have started their careers later in life. What matters most is your passion and dedication to the subject.

I also appreciate that you are considering the potential downsides of a career in software development, such as outsourcing and becoming outdated. These are valid concerns, but it is important to remember that the field of computer science is constantly evolving and there will always be a demand for skilled programmers. It is also important to continuously educate yourself and stay up-to-date with new technologies and programming languages to remain relevant in the industry.

In terms of your concerns about not being able to have a hands-on engineering job, I would suggest exploring the various fields within computer science. There are many subfields that involve hands-on work, such as robotics, virtual reality, and game development. Additionally, with a deeper understanding of how computers and software work, you may also find that you can combine your passion for engineering and programming in unique ways.

Ultimately, the decision to switch to a career in computer science is a personal one and I encourage you to carefully consider all aspects before making a decision. It may also be helpful to speak with professionals in the field and get a better understanding of their experiences and insights.

Best of luck in your decision and future endeavors. Keep exploring and learning, and I have no doubt that you will find success in whatever path you choose.

1. What is computer science and what do computer scientists do?

Computer science is the study of computers and computational systems. Computer scientists use algorithms and programming languages to design, analyze, and implement software and hardware systems.

2. How can I determine if a career in computer science is right for me?

To determine if a career in computer science is right for you, you should consider your interests, skills, and goals. Do you enjoy problem-solving and critical thinking? Are you interested in technology and its applications? Are you willing to continuously learn and adapt to new technologies? If you answered yes to these questions, a career in computer science may be a good fit for you.

3. What education or training is required for a career in computer science?

Most jobs in computer science require at least a bachelor's degree in computer science or a related field. However, some employers may also accept candidates with degrees in math, engineering, or a natural science. It is important to have a strong foundation in computer science principles, programming languages, and software development to be successful in this field.

4. What are some potential career paths in computer science?

Some potential career paths in computer science include software development, web development, data science, artificial intelligence, cybersecurity, and computer systems analysis. There are also opportunities in fields such as healthcare, finance, and education, where computer science skills are becoming increasingly important.

5. Are there any resources available to help me explore a career in computer science?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you explore a career in computer science. You can attend career fairs and networking events, join professional organizations, and participate in internships and co-op programs. There are also online resources such as job boards, coding bootcamps, and tutorials that can help you learn more about the field and gain practical skills.