Constant and variable specific heat assumptions

In summary, the gas powered turbine provides power to a compressor which then sends the compressed air through an intercooler. The compressor draws fresh air at a lower pressure and the air leaves at a higher pressure. The heat exchanger cools the compressed air down to 70 degrees Celsius and ambient air flowing through/across the intercooler is at 30 degrees Celsius, 100kPa.
Luchekv
1. Homework Statement
A gas (treated as air) powered turbine provides power to a compressor which then sends the compressed air through an intercooler (heat exchanger).

Turbine:
Gas enters @ 0.03kg/s, 370 degrees Celsius
Gas leaves @ 300 degrees Celsius and a "lower pressure"

Compressor:
Draws fresh air @ 0.015kg/s, 30 degrees Celsius, 100kPa
Air leaves at a "higher pressure"

Heat exchanger:
The intercooler cools the compressed air down to 70 degrees celsius
Ambient air flowing through/across the intercooler is @ 30 degrees Celsius, 100kPa
Ambient air leaving the intercooler is @ 60 degrees Celsius

Q1.) Calc Power output of turbine. Constant avg spec heats Cp=1.005 @ 300K
Q2.) Calc temp of air leaving compressor. Const avg spec heats Cp = 1.005 @ 300K
Q3.) Calc mass flow rate of the ambient air leaving the intercooler (not the compressed air going to the engine) - Use variable spec heats for extracted from tables

2. Homework Equations
Q*-W*=m*[h2-h1+(V22-V12)/2+g(z2-z1]
Δh=Cp(T2-T1)

3. The Attempt at a Solution
Q1.) -W*=m*[h2-h1]
First I found Cp at Tavg=335 Celsius or 608K..Cp=1.05324
So then
-W=m*(Cp(T1-T2))
-W=0.03(1.05324(370-300) =2.2118Watts

Q2.)
-W*=m*[h2-h1]
-W=m*(Cp(T2-T1))
2.2118=0.015(1.005(T2-30C)
T2= 176.72 Celsius

Q3.) I'm absolutely stumped with this one..Ive gone to the "Ideal-gas properties of air" table in the book and picked the enthalpy values for T1 and T2...but don't know where to go from there.

I know I'm lacking with units, just focusing on the method and will go back and straighten that out after.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You know the mass flow passing the compressor as well as the inlet temperture before the intercooler and the outlet temperture after the intercooler. What happens with the energy extracted from this mass flow?

Likes Luchekv
I forgot to add in for Q3. "Use variable spec heats for air extracted from tables" I have updated this. I'm not quite sure what you mean, here is a diagram of the intercooler..we are trying to solve for air at the number 3.

ic.png

What is the heat load of the inter cooler, based on the flow rate and temperatures of the working gas?

Likes Luchekv
By heat load do you mean Q?

Luchekv said:
By heat load do you mean Q?
Yes

Well, I know Q =m*c*(delta T). 'c' being specific heat, but I don't see how I could apply that to this situation..

Luchekv said:
Well, I know Q =m*c*(delta T). 'c' being specific heat, but I don't see how I could apply that to this situation..
It's ##\dot{m}Δh##. You know ##\dot{m}##, and you can look up the h values in your table.

Likes Luchekv
m* from intercooler: 0.015
Temp before entering intercooler = 176.72 C ~ 450K
Air is then cooled to 70 C ~ 340K

Assuming variable spec heats I go to the "Ideal-gas properties of air" table and read of h for the said temps
h1 =451.8
h2 = 340.42

So Q=0.015(h1-h2)
Q= 1.6707W

Now would I substitute that load and do the same thing with the enthalpies but for the ambient air stream?

Luchekv said:
m* from intercooler: 0.015
Temp before entering intercooler = 176.72 C ~ 450K
Air is then cooled to 70 C ~ 340K

Assuming variable spec heats I go to the "Ideal-gas properties of air" table and read of h for the said temps
h1 =451.8
h2 = 340.42

So Q=0.015(h1-h2)
Q= 1.6707W

Now would I substitute that load and do the same thing with the enthalpies but for the ambient air stream?
Yes

Likes Luchekv
You're an amazing teacher. Thank you!

Slightly off topic question...when it says assume constant spec heats...we go to the tables and we pick a value to use...but for variable we just go ahead and read the values for enthalpy directly..why is that?

What is the constant specific heat assumption?

The constant specific heat assumption is a simplification often used in thermodynamics and heat transfer calculations. It assumes that the specific heat of a substance remains constant throughout a temperature range, regardless of any changes in temperature or pressure.

What is the variable specific heat assumption?

The variable specific heat assumption is a more accurate approach that takes into account changes in specific heat as a substance's temperature and pressure change. It involves using specific heat data at different temperatures and pressures to calculate the specific heat at a given condition.

When should the constant specific heat assumption be used?

The constant specific heat assumption is most appropriate for calculations involving ideal gases, simple fluids, and substances with constant physical properties over a narrow temperature range.

When should the variable specific heat assumption be used?

The variable specific heat assumption should be used when a substance's specific heat significantly changes with temperature and pressure, such as in compressible fluids or when dealing with large temperature ranges.

What are the limitations of the constant and variable specific heat assumptions?

The constant and variable specific heat assumptions are both simplifications and may not accurately reflect the behavior of real substances. The constant specific heat assumption can result in significant errors when dealing with large temperature or pressure changes, while the variable specific heat assumption requires accurate data and may be more time-consuming to use.