Specific heat capacity of metal

In summary, the homework statement states that there is 1.5 kilograms of silicon with a temperature of 40 degrees Celsius. It is dropped into 3 kilograms of water with a temperature of 25 degrees Celsius. The system is then heat isolated from the environment and the final temperature of the system is 26.2 degrees Celsius.
Vir

Homework Statement

I have 1.5 kgs of silicon with temperature 40 degrees celsius. It is dropped into 3 kgs of water holding temperature 25 degrees celsius. The system is heat isolated from the environment and the final temperature of the system is 26.2 degrees celsius. I need to find the specific heat capacity of silicon.

Homework Equations

\begin{equation}
C = \frac{\mathrm{d}Q}{\mathrm{d}T}
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

Energy lost by metal = energy gained by water:

\begin{equation}
\Delta U_{m} = \Delta U_{w}
\\
\Delta T_{m} m_{m} C_{m} = \Delta T_{w} m_{w} C_{w}
\\
C_m = \frac{\Delta T_{w} m_{w} C_{w}}{\Delta T_{m} m_{m} }
\end{equation}

Now I have one unkown, the specific heat capacity of water. Assuming water to be an ideal gas(which i guess kinda works at lower pressures) I have:

\begin{equation}
C_w = nR
\end{equation}
where $n$ are the amount of moles of water. But here I need the molar mass of water, so that's just another unkown. Is there any way to solve this problem with the given data?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vir said:
Assuming water to be an ideal gas
Isn't water a liquid in your problem? Can't you just look up the heat capacity of liquid water?

insightful said:
Isn't water a liquid in your problem? Can't you just look up the heat capacity of liquid water?
I thought gases and liquids had the same properties? The question specifically asks me to figure it out using these data.

Vir said:
I thought gases and liquids had the same properties? The question specifically asks me to figure it out using these data.
They expect you to know or to look up the heat capacity of liquid water. Look it up and compare it with that of water vapor. Is it really the same?

Chet

1. What is specific heat capacity?

Specific heat capacity is the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of a material by 1 degree Celsius per unit mass. It is a measure of a material's ability to store thermal energy.

2. How is specific heat capacity of metal measured?

The specific heat capacity of metal is measured by conducting an experiment where a known amount of heat is transferred to a known mass of the metal, and the resulting change in temperature is recorded. By dividing the heat energy by the mass and temperature change, the specific heat capacity can be calculated.

3. Why does the specific heat capacity of metals vary?

The specific heat capacity of metals can vary due to differences in their atomic structure, such as the number of free electrons and the strength of interatomic bonds. The type of metal and its temperature can also affect its specific heat capacity.

4. How does specific heat capacity of metal affect its use?

The specific heat capacity of metal is important in various industrial and engineering applications, such as in the design of heating and cooling systems. It also plays a role in the selection of materials for specific purposes, as metals with higher specific heat capacities can absorb and release heat more efficiently.

5. Can the specific heat capacity of metal be changed?

The specific heat capacity of metal is an inherent property of the material and cannot be changed. However, it can be affected by external factors such as temperature and pressure. Some metals may also exhibit different specific heat capacities in different phases, such as solid, liquid, or gas.