Constant field in the Lagrangian

In summary: But if you have something of the form $$g(x)=f'(x)^2+f(x)$$ the minimum of $$\int g(x)$$ is not necessary when...The minimum of $$\int g(x)$$ is not necessary when the field is constant.
kelly0303
Hello! If you have a Lagrangian (say of a scalar field) depending only on the field and its first derivative and you want to calculate the ground state configuration, is it necessary a constant value? I read about Spontaneous symmetry breaking having this Lagrangian $$L= \frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu \phi)^2-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2-\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4$$ and they say that to get the lowest energy configuration you set ##\phi## to be a constant and work from there. In the case of a particle it makes sense that a motionless particle would have less energy that a moving one at a point. but is this obvious for fields? Can't a complicate configuration bring the energy lower than a constant value? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
You can probably answer your own question by computing the energy density of your scalar field.

Orodruin said:
You can probably answer your own question by computing the energy density of your scalar field.
Sorry I did a mistake, the term mass should be + not - (in order to get spontaneous symmetry breaking). So the energy density would be $$H= \frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu \phi)^2-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2+\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4$$. Is it obvious that the field must be constant?

No, that is not the correct energy density. Are you familiar with how the energy-momentum tensor is derived from the Lagrangian?

Orodruin said:
No, that is not the correct energy density. Are you familiar with how the energy-momentum tensor is derived from the Lagrangian?
I am not sure I am. But we were told that the hamiltonian density is ##H=T+V## which corresponds to the energy density (when you integrate it you get the actual hamiltonian which gives the energy for well behaved potentials). Did I miss-understand that?

kelly0303 said:
I am not sure I am. But we were told that the hamiltonian density is ##H=T+V## which corresponds to the energy density (when you integrate it you get the actual hamiltonian which gives the energy for well behaved potentials). Did I miss-understand that?
You are misinterpreting what ##T## is in this case so you have the wrong Hamiltonian. I suggest you look at the full expression for the energy-momentum tensor and extract the time-time component, which is the energy density.

Orodruin said:
You are misinterpreting what ##T## is in this case so you have the wrong Hamiltonian. I suggest you look at the full expression for the energy-momentum tensor and extract the time-time component, which is the energy density.
Oh, right! So I got this for the energy density: $$\frac{1}{2}\dot{\phi}^2-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2+\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4$$ Is it obvious that ##\phi## has to be a constant?

That is also wrong. You are now missing terms.

Orodruin said:
That is also wrong. You are now missing terms.
So the way I did it is to use $$T_{\mu\nu}=\frac{\partial L}{\partial(\partial_\mu\phi)}\partial_\nu\phi-g_{\mu\nu}L$$ which gives $$T_{\mu\nu}=\partial_\mu\phi\partial_\nu\phi-g_{\mu\nu}(\frac{1}{2}(\partial_\mu \phi)^2+\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2-\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4)$$ $$T_{\mu\nu}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_\mu \phi\partial_\nu \phi-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2+\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4$$ Now the energy density is given by $$T_{00}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_0 \phi\partial_0 \phi-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2+\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4$$ Where is my mistake? Thank you!

Orodruin said:
It is not true that
$$
(\partial_0\phi)(\partial_0\phi) - \frac 12 g_{00} (\partial_\mu \phi)^2 = \frac 12 (\partial_0 \phi)^2.
$$

Edit: You are also doing some bad things with indices, like using ##\mu## both as a summation index and as a free index. Please see https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/the-10-commandments-of-index-expressions-and-tensor-calculus/
Ah, ok. So it should be like this: $$T_{00}=\frac{1}{2}\partial_0\phi\partial_0\phi+\frac{1}{2}( \partial_x\phi\partial_x\phi+\partial_y\phi\partial_y\phi+\partial_z\phi\partial_z\phi)-\frac{1}{2}m^2\phi^2+\frac{\lambda}{4!}\phi^4$$ I hope this is correct now. But still, why is this a minimum for constant ##\phi##? If the mass term would have been added and not subtracted, that would have made sense, but I am not sure I see it as obvious here? Thank you and sorry for taking so long!

The shape of the potential is irrelevant. What is relevant are the derivative terms that are always non-negative and zero only if the field is constant.

Orodruin said:
The shape of the potential is irrelevant. What is relevant are the derivative terms that are always non-negative and zero only if the field is constant.
But if you have something of the form $$g(x)=f'(x)^2+f(x)$$ the minimum of $$\int g(x)$$ is not necessary when ##f=ct##

kelly0303 said:
But if you have something of the form $$g(x)=f'(x)^2+f(x)$$ the minimum of $$\int g(x)$$ is not necessary when ##f=ct##
That’s because ##f(x)## does not have a minimum. Your potential does.

Orodruin said:
Hmm that makes it more clear. However, I am still a bit confused. The potential energy minimum is not necessarily attained for a constant value of ##\phi##, I mean ##\int V(x)##. So can't it happen that for some non-constant value of ##\phi## the kinetic term will indeed get bigger (as it is non-zero anymore) but the potential gets down by a higher amount and hence ##\int T+V## it's smaller overall? Intuitively makes sense that the more you move the more energy you have, but mathematically is not really obvious to me. Can I derive this using calculus of variation, something like ##\frac{\delta E}{\delta \phi}=0## and from here infer that ##\phi## is a constant?

If a field value is a minimum of the potential for one point, it is for all points. Hence, a constant does give you the minimal potential at every point.

1. What is a constant field in the Lagrangian?

A constant field in the Lagrangian is a term in the Lagrangian function that represents a fixed value that does not change with time or space. It is typically denoted by a capital letter, such as V or C. This term is often used in physics, particularly in the study of classical mechanics and quantum field theory.

2. How is a constant field related to the Lagrangian?

In the context of classical mechanics, a constant field is typically included in the Lagrangian function to account for external forces, such as gravity or an electromagnetic field. In quantum field theory, a constant field can represent the background value of a field that is present throughout space and time.

3. What is the significance of a constant field in the Lagrangian?

The presence of a constant field in the Lagrangian can have important implications for the behavior and dynamics of a system. For example, in classical mechanics, a constant gravitational field can affect the motion of objects, while in quantum field theory, a constant field can determine the ground state of a system.

4. Can a constant field change over time or space?

No, by definition, a constant field is fixed and does not vary over time or space. However, this does not mean that the effects of the constant field cannot change. For example, in classical mechanics, the strength of a gravitational field may vary depending on the distance from the source of the field.

5. How is a constant field different from a variable field in the Lagrangian?

A constant field is a fixed value that does not change, while a variable field can vary over time and space. In the Lagrangian, a variable field is typically represented by a lowercase letter, such as q or f. The behavior and effects of a system can be very different depending on whether a constant or variable field is present in the Lagrangian.