Constant Force: Energy Conservation & Path Independence

In summary, constant force means a force that is constant for every path, so it will conserve energy.
harambe
I had an argument with my friend regarding constant forces.He said that work done by constant forces are conservative as we can take the force out of the integral and it doesn't depend on the path .But the fact that this information is not given in my textbook as well as by teachers makes me doubt it. Do Constant forces conserve mechanical energy at every case and are really path independent

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
harambe said:
I had an argument with my friend regarding constant forces.He said that work done by constant forces are conservative as we can take the force out of the integral and it only depends on the path .But the fact that this information is not given in my textbook as well as by teachers makes me doubt it. Do Constant forces conserve mechanical energy at every case and are really path independent
I think that's far too much of a generalisation. Pushing against a constant friction force (a common situation) is hardly conservative.

Likes harambe
So being a constant force doesn't mean that it is conservative right then?

Also friction would probably change direction at different paths so will it be alright to call it constant force for this case

harambe said:
He said that work done by constant forces are conservative as we can take the force out of the integral and it only depends on the path .

By definition, work done by conservative forces should not depend on the path.

Likes harambe
That would be my mistake...Sorry

harambe said:
Do Constant forces conserve mechanical energy at every case and are really path independent
A force that is constant for all paths does conserve energy. The reason the friction force mentioned by @sophiecentaur is not conservative is that it is only constant if the path is straight. It is not constant for other paths.

Likes harambe
So as long as the constant force is constant for every path then it will be able to conserve energyThanks .I get it now

1. What is constant force?

Constant force is a force that remains unchanged in magnitude and direction over time. It can also be described as a force that has a constant value and does not change the motion of an object.

2. How does constant force relate to energy conservation?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In the case of constant force, the work done by the force is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the object. This means that the total energy of the system remains constant, demonstrating energy conservation.

3. What is the principle of path independence?

The principle of path independence states that the work done by a conservative force on an object is independent of the path taken by the object. This means that the total work done by the force on an object is the same regardless of the route taken by the object.

4. How is energy conserved in a system with constant force?

In a system with constant force, the force does not change in magnitude or direction, so the work done by the force remains constant. This means that the total energy of the system, including both kinetic and potential energy, remains constant as well.

5. Can constant force be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, constant force can be applied in various real-world situations. For example, gravity is a constant force that acts on objects near the Earth's surface, and friction is often approximated as a constant force in physics calculations. In engineering and design, constant forces are also used in the form of springs and other mechanical systems.