Constant on [epsilon, 2epsilon] implies f'(0)=K

In summary, if ##f## is a continuous function at 0 such that $$\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{f(x)-g(x)}{g(x)}=M$$, then it is generally true that ##f'(0) = M##. However, this is not always the case, and in particular, for the case of ##g(x) = x/2##, ##f'(0) = 0##.
RBG

Homework Statement

Warning: I realize the title is misleading... the function itself isn't what's constant.
Mod note: Edited to fix the LaTeX

If ##f## is a continuous at 0 such that ##\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{f(x)-f(g(x))}{g(x)}=M##, where ##g(x)\to 0## as ##x\to 0## does this generally mean that ##f'(0)=M##? I have been working on the case that ##g(x)=x/2##. It seems like this should be the case since you are saying the secant line on any ##[\epsilon, 2\epsilon]## is constant, so as ##\epsilon## tends to zero, the slope will approach the slope of the tangent line. I've been trying to fudge the definition of continuity to get this and show ##|f'(0)-h(0)|<\epsilon## where ##h(t) = \lim_{x\to t} \frac{f(x)-f(g(t))}{x-g(t)}##

Homework Equations

Definition of continuity - \epsilon-delta and limit
Definition of differentiability
Mean Value Theorem
Sequences of functions?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
RBG said:

Homework Statement

Warning: I realize the title is misleading... the function itself isn't what's constant.

If $f$ is a continuous at 0 such that $\underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x)-g(x)}{g(x)}=M$ does this generally mean that $f'(0)=M$? I have been working on the case that $g(x)=x/2$. It seems like this should be the case since you are saying the secant line on any $[\epsilon, 2\epsilon]$ is constant, so as \epsilon tends to zero, the slope will approach the slope of the tangent line. I've been trying to fudge the definition of continuity to get this and show $|f'(0)-h(0)|<\epsilon$ where $h(t) = \underset{x\to t}{\lim}\frac{f(x)-f(t)}{x-t}$

Homework Equations

Mean Value Theorem
Sequences of functions?
Hello RBG. Welcome to PF !

Code:
Use $$ (Double dollar sign.) to set off LaTeX on an individual line.
Use ## to set off LaTeX  for in-line style.
As follows:

If ##f## is a continuous at 0 such that $$\underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x)-g(x)}{g(x)}=M\,,$$ does this generally mean that ##f'(0)=M##?

SammyS said:
Hello RBG. Welcome to PF !

Code:
Use $$ (Double dollar sign.) to set off LaTeX on an individual line.
Use ## to set off LaTeX  for in-line style.
As follows:

If ##f## is a continuous at 0 such that $$\underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x)-g(x)}{g(x)}=M\,,$$ does this generally mean that ##f'(0)=M##?
Thank you! Also, I edited my question to what I meant. I am really more just interested in the ##g(x)=\frac{x}{k}## where ##k\in\mathbb{N}## case.

$$\underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x)-x/k}{x/k}=M \ \Rightarrow \ \underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x)}{x} = \frac{M+1}{k}$$

RBG said:

Homework Statement

Mod note: Edited to fix the LaTeX

If ##f## is a continuous at 0 such that ##\lim_{x \to 0}\frac{f(x)-g(x)}{g(x)}=M##, where ##g(x)\to 0## as ##x\to 0## does this generally mean that ##f'(0)=M##? I have been working on the case that ##g(x)=x/2##. It seems like this should be the case since you are saying the secant line on any ##[\epsilon, 2\epsilon]## is constant, so as ##\epsilon## tends to zero, the slope will approach the slope of the tangent line. I've been trying to fudge the definition of continuity to get this and show ##|f'(0)-h(0)|<\epsilon## where ##h(t) = \lim_{x\to t} \frac{f(x)-f(t)}{x-t}##

Homework Equations

Mean Value Theorem
Sequences of functions?

Your condition does not imply ##f'(0) = M##. For example, take ##f(x) = (M+1) g(x) \, \forall \, x##, which certainly satisfies your limit condition. If you take ##g(x) = \sqrt{|x|}## you will see that ##f'(0)## need not even exist.

For the case of interest, namely, ##g(x) = kx## you can compute ##f'(0)## and see what you get.

PeroK said:
$$\underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x)-x/k}{x/k}=M \ \Rightarrow \ \underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x)}{x} = \frac{M+1}{k}$$

Woops! Man, for a first post I am messing up a lot. I meant what my edits say, that is ##f(g(x))## not just ##g(x)## in the numerator!

RBG said:
Woops! Man, for a first post I am messing up a lot. I meant what my edits say, that is ##f(g(x))## not just ##g(x)## in the numerator!
##f'(0) = \underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x/k)-f(0)}{x/k} \ne \underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x) - f(x/k)}{x/k}##

For example. Try ##f(x) = x##:

##\underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x) - f(x/k)}{x/k} = k - 1 \ne f'(0)## (unless ##k = 2##)

PeroK said:
##f'(0) = \underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x/k)-f(0)}{x/k} \ne \underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x) - f(x/k)}{x/k}##

For example. Try ##f(x) = x##:

##\underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x) - f(x/k)}{x/k} = k - 1 \ne f'(0)## (unless ##k = 2##)

So if we're in the ##k=2## case and the only thing I know about ##f## is that it's continuous at ##0##, how would I show that ##f'(0)=M##?

RBG said:
So if we're in the ##k=2## case and the only thing I know about ##f## is that it's continuous at ##0##, how would I show that ##f'(0)=M##?

See Samy_A's post below. ##k = 2## is a special case.

Last edited:
Now I'm confused too.

Lets assume that ##f## is differentiable at ##x=0##, and ##M=\underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x) - f(x/2)}{x/2}##
##\frac{f(x)-f(0)}{x}=\frac{f(x)-f(x/2)+f(x/2)-f(0)}{x}=\frac{f(x)-f(x/2)}{x}+\frac{f(x/2)-f(0)}{x}=\frac{1}{2}\frac{f(x)-f(x/2)}{x/2}+\frac{1}{2}\frac{f(x/2)-f(0)}{x/2}##
Taking the limit for ##x \to 0##, we get ##f'(0)=\frac{1}{2}M+\frac{1}{2}f'(0)##, so ##f'(0)=M##.

Likes PeroK
PeroK said:
See Samy_A's post below. ##k = 2## is a special case.
But I assumed that ##f## is differentiable at ##x=0##. What he wants to prove is that if ##M=\underset{x\to 0}{\lim}\frac{f(x) - f(x/2)}{x/2}## and ##f## is continuous at ##x=0##, then ##f## is also differentiable in 0.

For now, I find neither a proof, nor a counterexample.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a function to be "constant on [epsilon, 2epsilon]"?

When we say a function is "constant on [epsilon, 2epsilon]," it means that the function has the same value for all points within the interval [epsilon, 2epsilon]. In other words, the function does not change or vary within this specific interval.

2. What is the significance of a function being constant on [epsilon, 2epsilon]?

The significance of a function being constant on [epsilon, 2epsilon] is that it allows us to make certain conclusions about the behavior of the function within this interval. For example, we can say that the function is not increasing or decreasing within this interval, and that the average rate of change of the function is equal to zero.

3. How does "constant on [epsilon, 2epsilon]" relate to f'(0)=K?

If a function is constant on [epsilon, 2epsilon], it means that the function is not changing within this interval, and therefore the derivative of the function at any point within this interval is equal to zero. This includes the point x=0, which is why we can say that f'(0)=K, where K is the constant value of the function within the interval [epsilon, 2epsilon].

4. Can a function be constant on [epsilon, 2epsilon] but not have a derivative at x=0?

Yes, it is possible for a function to be constant on [epsilon, 2epsilon] but not have a derivative at x=0. This can occur if the function is not continuous at x=0, or if the function has a sharp turn or corner at x=0. In these cases, the function would still be considered "constant" within the interval, but the derivative at x=0 would not exist.

5. Does "constant on [epsilon, 2epsilon]" always imply f'(0)=0?

No, "constant on [epsilon, 2epsilon]" does not always imply f'(0)=0. While it is true that the derivative of a constant function is always equal to zero, "constant on [epsilon, 2epsilon]" only refers to the behavior of the function within a specific interval. It is possible for the function to have a non-zero derivative at x=0, as long as it is not changing within the interval [epsilon, 2epsilon].