Constant velocity and vectors

In summary, the coastguard station orders ship A to reduce its speed to match the speed of ship B. Ship A obeys this order and maintains its new constant velocity. At 4 hours after noon, the position vectors of P and Q relative to O are (12i+6j)km and (−3i+6j)km, respectively. The distance between Q and P when t=4 is (6i+6j)(4).
phospho
In this question, the horizontal unit vectors i and j are directed due east and north respectively.

A coastguard station O monitors the movements of ships in a channel. At noon, the station's radar records two ships moving with constant speed. Ship A is at the point with position vector (−3i+10j)km relative to O and has velocity (2i+2j)kmh−1. Ship B is at the point with position vector (6i+j)km and has velocity (−i+5j)kmh−1.

a Show that if the two ships maintain these velocities they will collide.

The coastguard radios ship A and orders it to reduce its speed to move with velocity (i+j)kmh−1. Given that A obeys this order and maintains this new constant velocity.

b find an expression for the vector AB→ at time t hours after noon,

c find, to three significant figures, the distance between A and B at 1500 hours,

d find the time at which B will be due north of A.

a) done
b) (9-2t)i + (-9+4t)j done
c) done
d) I'm not sure how to do this but I thought if B will be due north of A, then the i components should be the same no? so I done this i.e 10+t = 16 => t = 6 however this is wrong and in the solutions they say that the i component should be equal to 0, however in the next question:

Two ships P and Q are moving along straight lines with constant velocities. Initially P is at a point O and the position vector of Q relative to O is (12i+6j)km, where i and j are unit vectors directed due east and due north respectively. Ship P is moving with velocity 6ikmh−1 and ship Q is moving with velocity (−3i+6j)kmh−1. At time t hours the position vectors of P and Q relative to O are p km and q km respectively.

a Find p and q in terms of t.

b Calculate the distance of Q from P when t=4.

c Calculate the value of t when Q is due north of P.

Part c) they say that it's when the i components are equal, which is what I done for the first question.

Could anyone explain what is going on?

Physics news on Phys.org
(d) the vector [itex]\vec{AB}[/itex] will only have a [itex]\vec{j}[/itex] component.

How did you get the answer for part b in that 1st question?
I'm stuck on how to represent AB

Welcome to PF;
How did you get the answer for part b in that 1st question?
Vector addition.

I'm stuck on how to represent AB
Represent the vectors by arrows on a bit of graph paper and work it out.
AB is the vector pointing from point A to point B.
How would you normally do that?

I would use i+I notation. But I can't be sure that

Sorry. Message accidentally sent before finished

I can't be sure that the position of the ships haven't changed

The positon of the ships does change - their relative position changes too.
So you need to represent their positions as a vector that changes in time.

i.e. if ship A traveled at speed 3kmph 45deg from the +x axis starting at position ##\vec a_0= 3\hat\jmath##km, then it's position vector will be ##\vec a = (3\hat\imath + (3+3t)\hat\jmath)##km.

I'm not sure what hat means

indicates a unit vector:
##\hat\imath = \mathbf{i}##, ##\hat\jmath = \mathbf{j}##, ##\hat k = \mathbf{k}##
... are the Cartesian unit vectors.

In general: $$\hat v = \frac{\vec v}{v}$$

The book doesn't mention hat. It just says that the coastguard radios ship A to reduce speed to i+j kmh-1

Do you know what the i and j mean?

It's fine. I got an answer. Thank you

What is constant velocity?

Constant velocity is the motion of an object in a straight line at a steady speed. This means that the object is not accelerating or decelerating, and its displacement over time is constant.

How is constant velocity different from average velocity?

Constant velocity refers to the instantaneous velocity of an object at any given point in time, while average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time it took to travel that distance. Average velocity can be used to describe the overall motion of an object, while constant velocity describes its motion at a specific moment.

What is a vector quantity?

A vector quantity is a physical quantity that has both magnitude and direction. This means that it is not only important to know how much of the quantity there is, but also in which direction it is being measured. Examples of vector quantities include displacement, velocity, and force.

How is velocity represented as a vector?

Velocity is represented as a vector by using an arrow to show the direction and magnitude of the object's motion. The length of the arrow represents the speed of the object, while the direction of the arrow represents the direction of the object's motion.

What is the relationship between displacement and velocity?

Displacement is a vector quantity that describes the change in an object's position from its starting point to its ending point. Velocity is also a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's displacement over time. In other words, velocity is the rate at which an object's position is changing. This means that displacement and velocity are closely related, with velocity being the derivative of displacement with respect to time.