What is the definition of real numbers in terms of rational sequences?

In summary: But if you want $\Bbb{Q}$ to be complete, you can change the definition so that $\Bbb{R}$ is the completion of the metric space $\Bbb{Q}$ that contains the rationals with the absolute value.
evinda
Gold Member
MHB
Hi! (Smile)

We define the set $U=\mathbb{Z} \times (\mathbb{Z}-\{0\})$ and over $U$ we define the following relation $S$:

$$\langle i,j \rangle S \langle k,l \rangle \iff i \cdot l=j \cdot k$$

$$\mathbb{Q}=U/S=\{ [\langle i, j \rangle ]_S: i \in \mathbb{Z}, j \in \mathbb{Z} \setminus \{0\} \}$$

Constitution of real numbers (Cantor)

We consider the space $X$ of sequences $(a_n)_{n \in \mathbb{N}}$ of rational numbers that satisfy the following Cauchy Criterion:"for each rational number $\epsilon>0$ there is a $n_0 \in \omega$ such that for all $n \in \omega$ and for all $m \in \omega$ with $n>n_0$ and $m>n_0$ it holds that $|a_n-a_m|< \epsilon$"

At $X$ we define the relation $\sim$ for $(x_n)_{n \in \omega}, (y_n)_{n \in \omega} \in X$
$(x_n)_{n \in \omega} \sim (y_n)_{n \in \omega}$ iff $\lim (x_n-y_n)=0$

(Definition of $\lim a_n=0$ for $(a_n)_{n \in \omega}$ sequence with $a_n \in \mathbb{Q}, n \in \omega$:
$\lim a_n=0$ iff for each rational $\epsilon>0, \exists n_0 \in \omega$ such that for all $n \in \omega$ with $n>n_0$ it holds that $|a_n|< \epsilon$)It can be proven that the relation $\sim$ is an equivalence relation on $X$ and $X/ \sim$ is defined to be the set of real numbers $\mathbb{R}$.So that means that the set $\mathbb{R}$ is a set that contains the rational sequences that converge, right?
If so, could you explain me why it is like that? (Thinking)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

That means that $\Bbb{R}$ is the "complection" (I don't really know if complection is an english word :confused:) of the metric space given by the rationals with the absolute value.

I mean, when you say "contains the rational sequences that converge" is right, but it's not the same convergence on $\Bbb{Q}$ than $\Bbb{R}$. A sequence of rational numbers convergent to $\pi$ over the reals is not convergent over $\Bbb{Q}$.

This is just a definition so it's like that because we want it to be like that.

1. What is the Constitution of real numbers?

The Constitution of real numbers is a set of fundamental rules and properties that govern the behavior and relationships of real numbers. It outlines the basic operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, and defines important concepts such as order, absolute value, and inequalities.

2. How is the Constitution of real numbers different from other number systems?

The Constitution of real numbers is unique in that it includes both rational and irrational numbers, while other number systems may only include one or the other. It also has a continuous number line, meaning that there are no gaps or discontinuities between numbers.

3. What are some key properties of the Constitution of real numbers?

Some key properties of the Constitution of real numbers include the commutative, associative, and distributive properties of addition and multiplication, the existence of an identity element for addition and multiplication, and the existence of inverse elements for addition and multiplication.

4. How is the Constitution of real numbers used in mathematics?

The Constitution of real numbers serves as the foundation for many mathematical concepts and calculations. It is used in algebra, calculus, geometry, and many other areas of mathematics to solve equations, graph functions, and model real-world phenomena.

5. Are there any limitations or exceptions to the Constitution of real numbers?

While the Constitution of real numbers is a powerful and versatile system, it does have some limitations. For example, it cannot represent certain numbers such as infinity or imaginary numbers. It also has limitations when dealing with very large or very small numbers, as they may require scientific notation or other methods of representation.