Constraints on Lorentz Velocity Transformation

In summary, the professor is questioning the validity of the Lorentz transformation when applied to speeds less than the speed of light. He is concerned that the transformation may break down at speeds less than c.
alhuebel
TL;DR Summary
I'm doing some undergraduate research related to the Lorentz velocity transformation. I've done a basic derivation of the Lorentz transformation in the attached document. I got some feedback from my professor but I am not understanding what he is looking for. Comments from my professor are in the details below. Any insight would be appreciated as I do not see where or in what ways the transformation is invalid for ux < c.
1. The 2nd line on the 3rd page of your notes, you have x=ct and
x'=ct', thus ux=dx/dt and ux'= dx'/dt' =c according to Einstein's
assumptiuon.
2. But near the end of the last page, you wrote dx'/dt' = (ux
-v)/(1-vux/c2) . Compare with 1. This equation can be valid only for ux=c
and it is not valid when ux <c.
3. But in the book ux can be to be less than c, how come?

Attachments

• Note Jun 14, 2022 (1).pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 125
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems to me that the professor is worried about your derived transformation is only valid for the case where ux = ux' = c, but that is how you define the transformation and thus come up with the approriate value of the constant a, namely 1/sqr(1-(v/c)^2) which guarantees that ux = c <=> ux' = c aswell.

No idea what your professor is referring to.

Thank you. Are you aware of any inconsistencies, breakdowns, singularities etc. involved in the lorentz velocity transformation?

alhuebel said:
Thank you. Are you aware of any inconsistencies, breakdowns, singularities etc. involved in the lorentz velocity transformation?

If v = c you could get into trouble.

Which book is the professor referring to?

Last edited by a moderator:
The book is the Serway / Moses / Moyer Modern Physics 3rd edition. He got back to me with the following:
"The Lorenz-Transformation is based on c2t2-x2 -y2 -z2 =c2t'2-x'2 -y'2 -z'2 (A) where (x,y,z,t) and (x',y',z',t') are coordinates of a light signal (photon) with speeds ux = ux' = c in systems O and O' respectively;

and O' is moving with speed v respect to O along +x direction. Can you show that (A) is also valid for a material particle which moves with speed ux and ux' < c?"

My response at this point is as follows:
The equation [A] above is the invariant spacetime interval and is a fundamental component of general relativity. If we simply replace c with velocities of matter ux and ux' then those would be isolated observations within each reference frame and not translations of relative velocities between inertial reference frames. That is the whole purpose of the lorentz transformation and the gamma factor.

Of course I may be missing something completely here so I would appreciate any input and perspective you can provide.

you did derive ux' as delta x'/delta t' and then you used the Lorentz transformations for delta x' and delta t' to get an expression for ux' in terms of c, v and ux

Let me drop the y and z now, its not important for your boost in the x-direction.

I guess you could use a space-time diagram and draw the worldline (blue line) for a particle traveling with constant speed. In S (black) it would be u = x/t and in S' (red) it would be u' = x'/t'
1656536137387.png

In S calculate (ct)^2 - x^2 = (ct)^2 - (ut)^2 = (c^2 - u^2)t^2
In S' calculate (ct')^2 - x'^2 = (c^2 - u'^2)t'^2
and show that you get the same value by using the formula for u' in terms of u and v.
Nice numbers to use are v = 0.6c which gives gamma = 1.25
Then use some values for u expressed in c (s.t. u < 1c)

I am taking a summer class on introductory relativity now, given that I have not been doing physics for about 7 years and wanted to fresh my memory. Anyway, last week I did an excersie similar to this, I calculated the invariant space-time interval using Lorentz-transformation of x,t into x' and t' and then I show that I got the same result using the addition of velocity formula. It was sweet to see the numbers actually work out instead of just cruching algebra for 2 pages :)

drmalawi said:
you did derive ux' as delta x'/delta t' and then you used the Lorentz transformations for delta x' and delta t' to get an expression for ux' in terms of c, v and ux

Let me drop the y and z now, its not important for your boost in the x-direction.

I guess you could use a space-time diagram and draw the worldline (blue line) for a particle traveling with constant speed. In S (black) it would be u = x/t and in S' (red) it would be u' = x'/t'
View attachment 303510
In S calculate (ct)^2 - x^2 = (ct)^2 - (ut)^2 = (c^2 - u^2)t^2
In S' calculate (ct')^2 - x'^2 = (c^2 - u'^2)t'^2
and show that you get the same value by using the formula for u' in terms of u and v.
Nice numbers to use are v = 0.6c which gives gamma = 1.25
Then use some values for u expressed in c (s.t. u < 1c)

I am taking a summer class on introductory relativity now, given that I have not been doing physics for about 7 years and wanted to fresh my memory. Anyway, last week I did an excersie similar to this, I calculated the invariant space-time interval using Lorentz-transformation of x,t into x' and t' and then I show that I got the same result using the addition of velocity formula. It was sweet to see the numbers actually work out instead of just cruching algebra for 2 pages :)
nice thank you very much. I will look at this more closely this evening. I just recently took Modern physics in the spring for fun. I'm more or less a perpetual student. I got an undergrad degree in accounting in 1999, an MS in telecommunications in 2002 and I've been taking math and physics courses off and on ever since.

Likes malawi_glenn

1. What is the Lorentz velocity transformation?

The Lorentz velocity transformation is a mathematical formula used in special relativity to describe how velocities appear to change when observed from different reference frames. It is based on the principles of time dilation and length contraction.

2. Why are there constraints on the Lorentz velocity transformation?

The constraints on the Lorentz velocity transformation are necessary to ensure that the laws of physics are consistent for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. Without these constraints, there would be paradoxes and contradictions in the theory of special relativity.

3. What are the main constraints on the Lorentz velocity transformation?

The main constraints on the Lorentz velocity transformation are the principles of causality, isotropy, and homogeneity. These principles state that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers, the speed of light should be constant in all reference frames, and the laws of physics should be the same in all directions and at all points in space.

4. How do the constraints on the Lorentz velocity transformation affect our understanding of space and time?

The constraints on the Lorentz velocity transformation have led to the development of the theory of special relativity, which has revolutionized our understanding of space and time. This theory has shown that space and time are not absolute, but rather are relative concepts that depend on the observer's frame of reference.

5. Are there any experimental confirmations of the constraints on the Lorentz velocity transformation?

Yes, there have been numerous experiments that have confirmed the constraints on the Lorentz velocity transformation and the predictions of special relativity. One of the most famous is the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is the same in all directions and in all reference frames.