Constraints the elements of the 3D-rotation matrix must satisfy

In summary, to preserve the length of vector A for all vectors, the elements of the three-dimensional rotation matrix must satisfy the constraints of being an orthogonal matrix. This means that the columns (or rows) of the matrix must be unit vectors and orthogonal to each other. Using Einstein's summation convention, this can be shown by setting A to different unit vectors and showing that the resulting columns of R are orthogonal.
ELB27

Homework Statement

Taken from "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths p.12 problem 1.8 (b):
What constraints must the elements [itex]R_{ij}[/itex] of the three-dimensional rotation matrix satisfy, in order to preserve the length of vector A (for all vectors A)?

Homework Equations

The 3D rotation matrix around an arbitrary axis:
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
\bar{A_x}\\
\bar{A_y}\\
\bar{A_z}\\
\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
R_{xx} & R_{xy} & R_{xz}\\
R_{yx} & R_{yy} & R_{yz}\\
R_{zx} & R_{zy} & R_{zz}\\
\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}
A_x\\
A_y\\
A_z\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
Thus,
[itex]\bar{A_i} = \sum_{j=1}^3 R_{ij}A_j[/itex]
where the index 1 stands for x, 2 for y and 3 for z.

The Attempt at a Solution

Since the length of the vector before and after transformation must be equal:
[itex]\sum_{i=1}^3 (\bar{A_i})^2 = \sum_{i=1}^3 (A_i)^2[/itex]
[itex]\sum_{i=1}^3 (\bar{A_i})^2 = \sum_{i=1}^3 (\bar{A_i})(\bar{A_i}) = \sum_{i=1}^3 \left( \sum_{j=1}^3 R_{ij}A_j \right) \left( \sum_{k=1}^3 R_{ik}A_k \right) = \sum_{i=1}^3 (A_i)^2 [/itex]
The one before the last equality I obtain from substituting the above equation for [itex]\bar{A_i}[/itex] .
I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I guess that I lack understanding of the summation notation. I tried looking it up but I still can't understand how to continue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
ELB27 said:

Homework Statement

Taken from "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David J. Griffiths p.12 problem 1.8 (b):
What constraints must the elements [itex]R_{ij}[/itex] of the three-dimensional rotation matrix satisfy, in order to preserve the length of vector A (for all vectors A)?

Homework Equations

The 3D rotation matrix around an arbitrary axis:
[tex]
\begin{pmatrix}
\bar{A_x}\\
\bar{A_y}\\
\bar{A_z}\\
\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}
R_{xx} & R_{xy} & R_{xz}\\
R_{yx} & R_{yy} & R_{yz}\\
R_{zx} & R_{zy} & R_{zz}\\
\end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}
A_x\\
A_y\\
A_z\\
\end{pmatrix}
[/tex]
Thus,
[itex]\bar{A_i} = \sum_{j=1}^3 R_{ij}A_j[/itex]
where the index 1 stands for x, 2 for y and 3 for z.

[itex]\sum_{i=1}^3 (\bar{A_i})^2 = \sum_{i=1}^3 (\bar{A_i})(\bar{A_i}) = \sum_{i=1}^3 \left( \sum_{j=1}^3 R_{ij}A_j \right) \left( \sum_{k=1}^3 R_{ik}A_k \right) = \sum_{i=1}^3 (A_i)^2 [/itex]
The one before the last equality I obtain from substituting the above equation for [itex]\bar{A_i}[/itex] .
I'm not sure how to proceed from here. I guess that I lack understanding of the summation notation. I tried looking it up but I still can't understand how to continue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Google "orthogonal matrix"

ELB27 said:

First thing you should do is learn Einstein's summation convention (Einstein's greatest contribution to physics): repeated indices imply summation. It'll save you a lot of tedious writing. Using this convention, you have
$$\bar{A}_i \bar{A}_i = (R_{ij}A_j)(R_{ik}A_k).$$ No annoying sigmas to keep writing.

The relationship has to hold for all vectors, so try using ##A = (1, 0, 0)##, for example, to show that the first column of ##R## has to be a unit vector. For other choices of ##A##, you can show that different columns are orthogonal to each other.

Ray Vickson said:
Google "orthogonal matrix"

Thanks, I didn't know about these matrices!

vela said:
First thing you should do is learn Einstein's summation convention (Einstein's greatest contribution to physics): repeated indices imply summation. It'll save you a lot of tedious writing. Using this convention, you have
$$\bar{A}_i \bar{A}_i = (R_{ij}A_j)(R_{ik}A_k).$$ No annoying sigmas to keep writing.

The relationship has to hold for all vectors, so try using ##A = (1, 0, 0)##, for example, to show that the first column of ##R## has to be a unit vector. For other choices of ##A##, you can show that different columns are orthogonal to each other.

Thank you! So if I understand correctly, I just pick 2 convenient vectors like ##\vec{A} = <1,0,0>## and ##\vec{B} = <1,1,0>## and generalize the results I get for all choices? Am I allowed to do it without proving these relations in general?

EDIT: After some more readings I think I finally get it. Thanks again.

Last edited:

1. What is a 3D-rotation matrix?

A 3D-rotation matrix is a mathematical representation of a three-dimensional rotation, used in computer graphics and other applications. It is a 3x3 matrix that specifies how a three-dimensional object should be rotated around a given point.

2. What are the constraints on the elements of a 3D-rotation matrix?

The elements of a 3D-rotation matrix must satisfy certain constraints in order to accurately represent a rotation. These include being orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other, having a determinant of 1, and having a length of 1 for each row and column.

3. Why must the elements of a 3D-rotation matrix be orthogonal?

Orthogonality ensures that the axes of rotation are perpendicular to each other, which is necessary for accurately rotating objects in three dimensions. It also simplifies calculations and allows for easier understanding and manipulation of the matrix.

4. What is the significance of having a determinant of 1 in a 3D-rotation matrix?

The determinant represents the scaling factor of the matrix, and in the case of a 3D-rotation matrix, a determinant of 1 ensures that there is no scaling involved in the rotation. This means that the object being rotated will maintain its size and shape.

5. Can a 3D-rotation matrix have negative elements?

Yes, a 3D-rotation matrix can have negative elements. The sign of the elements does not affect the rotation itself, as long as the other constraints are satisfied. However, for consistency and ease of use, it is common to use only positive elements in a 3D-rotation matrix.