Construct a car which is propelled solely by wind energy

In summary, Ceptimus points out that sails on a yacht are useless, and a windmill type configuration would be your best bet. He also mentions that tacking sailing crafts, whether it be a boat, sand yacht, or ice yacht, have to react a force vector from the sails against one from the keel / wheels / skates to provide a component of force in the direction of travel. Neither of these methods are feasible using only wind power.
Jurij
I must construct a car which is propelled solely by wind energy. The car should be able to drive straight into the wind.
Have you got any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want to drive directly into the wind, rather than just tacking like a sailboat, a sail is no use to you.

What you need is a car-mounted windmill facing into the wind, and have the windmill drive the wheels through gears or chains or pulleys etc.

It's good idea but I want something more intersting. I want to surprise my teacher.

This thread came up recently in one of the engineering forums. As Ceptimus rightly points out, sails (as used on a yacht) are useless, and a windmill type configuration would be your best bet. Do some googling for a 'cup anemometer', that should be fruitful, and interesting enough for your teacher.

I'm not entirely convinced that sails won't work. Clearly, a single sail will not work but how about a pair of them? They could tack in different directions with the lateral components of lift being equal and opposite but with the forward components adding. I'm not convinced it will work either but I can't dismiss it out of hand.

A tacking sailing craft, whether it be a boat, sand yacht, or ice yacht has to react a force vector from the sails against one from the keel / wheels / skates to provide a component of force in the direction of travel.

If the direction of travel is directly into wind, this is not possible. The force vector from the sail can't act at better than right angles to the wind. And even if it could act at right angles (which requires an infinite lift/drag ratio) it still wouldn't create any forward component when combined with the reaction force from the wheels (which again can't act at better than right angles to the direction of travel, even given perfect frictionless wheels and zero energy loss grippy tyres).

For the same reason, you can't just use two or more sails reacting against each other. The sails each provide a sidways 'lift' component, and a backwards 'drag' component, and there is no way to combine these to end up with the required forward facing component.

I suppose you could have one or more tacking small wheeled vehicles pulling the main vehicle. This would be the wind powered equivalent of a horse drawn waggon, except that the horses would be running zig-zag. :smile:

Another method would be to fly controllable kites (two or more strings) from the vehicle, and use the varying line tension, and angles to power the wheels. This is really just the same as the windmill, except that you replace the windmill with kites. I don't think it would be anywhere near as practical as the windmill method.

I like the idea of a vertical axis windmill (like a cup anemometer, or a Savonious rotor). This would provide forward drive irrespective of wind direction - with a horizontal axis mill, it would be necessary to point the rotor into the direction of the local airflow, requiring complex machinery - the vertical axis method eliminates this, though at the cost of efficiency.

Last edited:
Ceptimus,

Aha! I hadn't thought it through all the way but that makes sense. Scratch that idea.

Thanks.

1. How does a wind-powered car work?

Wind-powered cars work by harnessing the kinetic energy of the wind and converting it into mechanical energy, which is used to propel the car forward. This is typically achieved through the use of a wind turbine or propeller, which is connected to a generator. The generator then produces electricity, which powers an electric motor that turns the car's wheels.

2. What materials are needed to construct a wind-powered car?

The materials needed to construct a wind-powered car will vary depending on the design and complexity of the car. However, some common materials may include a lightweight chassis, a wind turbine or propeller, a generator, batteries, and an electric motor. Other materials such as wheels, axles, and a steering mechanism will also be necessary.

3. Can a wind-powered car be used in all weather conditions?

A wind-powered car can technically be used in all weather conditions; however, its efficiency will depend on the strength and consistency of the wind. Stronger winds will produce more energy, while calm or inconsistent winds may result in a slower or less efficient car. Additionally, extreme weather conditions such as hurricanes or tornadoes may be too dangerous for a wind-powered car to operate.

4. How fast can a wind-powered car go?

The speed of a wind-powered car will depend on several factors, including the design, materials used, and wind conditions. On average, a wind-powered car can reach speeds of 30-40 mph, but some specially designed cars have reached speeds of over 100 mph. The speed may also be affected by the weight of the car and any additional features or accessories added.

5. Are wind-powered cars environmentally friendly?

Yes, wind-powered cars are considered to be environmentally friendly because they do not produce any harmful emissions or pollutants. As long as the electricity used to power the car is generated from renewable sources such as wind, solar, or hydro power, the car will have a minimal impact on the environment. However, the production and disposal of the car's materials may still have some environmental impact.